JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Thought I would show off my Willys CJ-2A project. I'm getting close to being on the road these are the latest engine photos

VWxGaCh.jpg

HgUeMuj.jpg

8UeqKPG.jpg

And kind of an over view

VvkbBjq.jpg

I have to get me a calm day over 55 degrees to shoot some temporary Black paint on the Header so I can do the final assembly on the left side of the engine the right side stuff is all done. The header paint will only be on it long enough to get the engine tuned and broke in maybe 200 miles then I tear the left side all down and the Header gets taken in and Ceramic coated inside and out to help preserve it and control heat.
Hopefully after waiting almost 6 years I will be firing the engine in a couple weeks. The jeep is already licensed and insured so when the engine starts I can take it right out on the road.

And cause I know people will want to know

I am hoping for a 20-25hp bump in draw bar horse power. If you put a fresh 134L in a stock Willys CJ on a chassis dyno you will see 39-40 hp at 4000rpm at the rear wheels (draw bar) this means it takes 20hp to run the drive train at 4000rpm. Any HP you can increase or release will go straight to the draw bar as it takes no more HP to run the drive train that it does in stock condition. If you put a 220 HP 283cu in in the jeep it would still take 20HP to make the drive train go around at 4000rpm.

So if I can get a 20hp bump in power that means I will have gone from say 40HP to 60HP at the drawbar. Thats a 50% increase in drawbar HP.

The numbers I am looking at

cu in increase .........................................................................................2.5HP I have increased the size of the engine by almost 8cu due to a .060 over bore so its 4.3% larger then stock
increase in compression ........................................................................9.0HP this could be as high as 10hp due to the larger displacement. Its a Known that going to 7-1 compression ratio on a stock engine results in 68HP at the crank
Fan delete ...............................................................................................4.0HP The V8 hot rod guys will say more like 7-8HP but they are using a higher RPM so I am going with 4HP
Fuel pump delete.....................................................................................1.0HP
Improved ignition and timing....................................................................2.0HP I have a magnetic trigger distributor with a Vacuum advance and a 40K coil with a captive discharge spark box and indexed Booster gap plugs
Improved Intake system .........................................................................3.0HP This is a one of a kind Cast aluminum intake mated to a Weber DGV-5A 32/36 progressive carb it will be tuned to the engine, Also I have a forced air intake and free flo filter
TriY Header and 2.25" flow through Exhaust..........................................5.0HP The Tri Y design increases mid range HP and Torque the Willys runs in what would be called the mid range 1000-4000rpm I expect a lot compared to the 1.5" stock exhaust
Spin Balancing........................................................................................3.0HP A perfectly balanced engine has less loss due to vibration and the better balanced the power is the more power it makes.

These number total ..............................................................................29.5HP

subtract 25% just cause nothing works out perfect. and you get 22.125HP so there you go. If everything does work out as I have designed then I'll have one HOT ROD WILLYS LOL.

A Note the intake is a modified 1500cc MG manifold I had to split it down the middle and add a .410" wide spacer then weld it back together. This did two things it increased the Plenum volume to better match the 140 cu in (2.3 Liter) compared to the MG's 1.5L it also allowed me to make a new top for the intake that has Carb bore diameter tubes almost 7/8" long above the Plenum this adds to the Torque by allowing the fuel air to remain in a contrast density longer after the venturi. Also half this spacer is made from Linen Micarta which acts as a heat shield and helps keep the carb colder. I then have a fresh air intake above and in front of the radiator again for cooler denser air and that area is a high pressure area so at about 30mph and above the intake air will actually be pushed into the carb to some degree again reducing work for the engine.

The TRI Y header is my own design I worked on it for weeks before I even started to put the dozens of pieces of tubing together. I had guys on line who build Both roundy round and drag race headers helping me out. It is a compromise from the ideal design which just isn't physically possible in a Willys they are long enough . I managed to get three of the Primary tubes within 1/8" of each other in length with the #3 tube being a little short OH well. The 1.75" ID secondary's are exactly the same and the 2.25" Tail pipe is all mandrel bent curves and it all goes through a Dyno Max 6" D x 10" long flow through muffler (It might be a little loud I may change this to a larger muffler) This is compared to cast iron manifold with a 1.5" ID pipe leading from the manifold all the way to the tail.

OK so I rattle on.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews