Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

For the food connoisseurs!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Galant, Dec 29, 2012.

1. Galant

Galant portland Active Member

Sgt Nambu and (deleted member) like this.
  2. trainsktg

trainsktg Portland OR Well-Known Member

Nothing new to those of us that do care, but still a good refresher.

Keith

3. Mikej

Mikej Portland Gold Supporter Gold Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

RE: Injected meats......Watch for pork/chicken being injected with salts. If your mom used to salt and pepper up a good piece of pork, brown it and roast it, and you do the same with injected pork it can be way to salty. Fred Meyer has injected pork, they also carry a more expensive NON-injected pork. Safeway does NOT have injected pork. Winco's pork is ALL injected. Costco's pork is not injected.

Injected chicken, Fred Meyer/Kroeger whole chickens are injected with salts, not sure about the Kroeger chicken parts. Foster Farms chicken is not. Albertsons whole chicken 3-6% water I presume left over from processing. I haven't checked others chicken.

Canned mushrooms are ALL from out of the USA. It's very easy to saute fresh mushrooms. Nally's Elites pickles are from india, WTF! So are some other brands "Small" pickles. Winco is a dandy one for having canned store brand foods from out of the USA, tomato sauce etc.

I say no to all this crap and send my emails to the addresses on the packages and to corporate.

Mike

4. Galant

This is new stuff to me. Im learning as much as I can. So much stuff that no one cared to teach me.

5. MarkAd

MarkAd Port Orchard Well-Known Member

Buy the dvd set of Good Eats. Alton Brown talks about a lot of these things in various times. Great food tips and ideals too.

6. Redcap

Redcap Lewis County, WA Well-Known Member

Alton Brown kicks ***.

7. Galant

Much appreciated Mark

8. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

+1 Mark, Alton Brown is also on the Cooking Channel and his books are both informative and fun!

Also folks, if you have a strong stomach look up ammoniated ground beef, what most fast food joints serve. After they tell you what is ground into burger you are almost glad that high pressure ammonia gas is forced through the evil brew! The FDA is not our friend. Burgerville uses only locally raised beef and it's pure ground chuck!

Then again, although I rarely eat it, I love Spam! Go figure!