JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
There are a few pretty good shooting spots just outside of the City of Rogue River that I have had pretty good luck at. Everyone I've run into has always been very friendly. There was one experience that was a little weird though. One day I pull up to my favorite shooting spot and there is a little flat camping trailer parked there. It was in the same spot the next two weekends too. The last time I went up there the trailer was completely destroyed. No bullet holes, just ripped apart. Maybe teenagers, maybe a bear after food? Who knows? Very strange. I always drive in and out with a loaded mag though. Its just good practice to always be armed in the woods.

I always keep at least one gun fully loaded while shooting, or at least a fully loaded mag handy. So far I've not had any of the close calls out shooting - have had others while in the woods, but not specifically while shooting.

I will say this - the two killers, Platt and Matix, in the Miami FBI shootout were stalking target shooters in nearby gravel pits, killing and robbing them for their guns and vehicles so they could pull off their bank robberies. No matter where we go, if we're armed or not, there's always the chance of running into someone who wants what you've got and is willing to kill you for it.

Back in the early 80's out near high heaven above McMinneville, I was going shooting then motorcycle riding. Anyway I shoot a few rounds with my AR15. The wife and my 2 kids are just hanging out while I get ready to ride out. I had laid the AR against the trailer, empty. Well, a pickup drives up with 3 guys , they look at the wife. then the AR, then at me, then at the wife, then the AR, and etc. You get the point anyway, the guys decide they should leave. Cool.. I tell my wife just leave the AR sitting there while I am out riding because nobody is going to bother you. That black nasty rifle was the Intimidator, It worked.

My other story is I was by myself up at the landing way up Crooked Finger and drove into where about 5 guys were shooting. I placed my pistol in my OWB holster and got out and kinda said "hi, what you all shooting".
I just wanted to see how friendly they were or not. Also what they were shooting and what direction.
Felt OK but guarded.
Since I had parked back and beside them, this gave me the position to view their actions. I shot a few magazines and said to myself,"self, go home" and I did. I just was uncomfortable and could not shoot and keep an eye out at them at the same time. Plus I was seeing some unsafe shooting angles from of the several guys.

Last Edited:
A few years ago I had complete access to the AZ desert, I took friends from CA shooting almost every weekend.

- cocked and locked as soon as we left the pavement
- one loaded mag on the dash for the ride home

Almost bushwhacked once until the tweakers saw that the AR was leaning against the dash. The second time the tweakers decided to check out my truck, they did not realize that the targets were fifty feet from the truck until I rand one from 500m away - they left in a hurry.

I have no concern regarding the four legged critters in the forest, Always a Glock on the hip.

I was on my way home from shooting. As I came down the road there was a landing with several milk jugs that were being shot with reckless abandon. The shooters were around the bend and the jugs were away from me so for the moment I felt ok. I stopped about 50 yards away and waited for the shooting to stop. Once things were quiet for a few seconds I gave to long honks and then crept up to the bend in the road. As I came around there were 8-10 young guys all with shaved heads. I felt like I had just crashed a skin head party. All variety of guns were out as were cans of beer. I gave a quick wave and a smile and got the hell out of there was quick as I could.

"the pizza place is over that way'" waving hand in mock nazi salute like you're motioning down the street (sorry, my nephew did this the other day while wearing my german mislurp goretex and i could not stop laughing).

Now everyone out shooting in the forest....you're picking up your trash right? I'll leave a 2x4 and piece of plyboard on occasion, as do others in the area (gives us a biodegradable backstop to put targets on) but i get sick of picking up beer/soda/gatorade/water bottles and bubblegume. At least it's not as bad as the mountains around boulder/denver yet here though - people would leave tv's and fridges out there. I can tell you from experience, if you don't take care of your mess eventually the wrong person gets wind of it and next thing you know - area closed to shooting. Not to be a nag, but your momma doesn't work for the forest service (well, most of our mothers don't - i'm sure a few of yours actually do lmao)

This is why I am a member of ARPC.

Me too.

I ran into a militia somewhere in the mountains southeast of Oregon City, was up there shooting w/ a couple buddies, not paying attention to where we where exactly. They were cordial enough, but def not people you want to kid around with. We kept a respectful distance.

I always kinda took " walk softly and carry a big stick" to mean " be friendly and let them see that you have a piece on you too" lol.

I want to set up some moving targets somewhere, but i am afraid if i build one at one of the gravel pits it will get run over and/or burnt. Talking like some 4x4's, a length of chain, and a pendulum in the middle or something. Been trying to practice walking up on targets, zigzag and out to the side then forward.......but with a moving target then i would really miss a lot of shots :p

Now everyone out shooting in the forest....you're picking up your trash right? I'll leave a 2x4 and piece of plyboard on occasion, as do others in the area (gives us a biodegradable backstop to put targets on) but i get sick of picking up beer/soda/gatorade/water bottles and bubblegume. At least it's not as bad as the mountains around boulder/denver yet here though - people would leave tv's and fridges out there. I can tell you from experience, if you don't take care of your mess eventually the wrong person gets wind of it and next thing you know - area closed to shooting. Not to be a nag, but your momma doesn't work for the forest service (well, most of our mothers don't - i'm sure a few of yours actually do lmao)

The only two times I haven't hauled out what I hauled in were once when we were coming back the next day, and once when some people (who sound suspiciously similar to those in the original post) offered to take away the scrap computers we had been shooting. (Lots of metal, including the possibility of precious metals. Thought they were just recyclers at first, they packed the trash off and left before we were done putting our rifles away - only then did it dawn on us that they were probably tweakers.)

I was hiking up to triple falls with my folks who were here on vacation when we passed a man sitting on the bridge. We look around the waterfall, took pictures then got back on the trail to continue the way we'd been heading. After what couldnt have been more than two minutes, we decided we may as well head back down to the parking area on 84 as it was already getting late. I was the first to turn around and when I looked back the guy had gotten up and was walking our direction. He looked surprised when we passed him but said nothing. As we crested the bridge I took another look back to see him stopped in his tracks staring back at us. A few minutes later I noticed he had turned around and was tailing us back down the mountain. At one point he had passed my mother and I was feeling relieved but I didn't put down the big rock grabbed (pre-firearm days) until I caught back up with dad. The guy didn't look like he belonged there, nor did he look like tweaker. Probably just a coincidence but it sent up the red flags. I've seen more than my fair share of irresponsible people out shooting too. Can't believe people have actually been harassed with firearms threats... I guess you cant believe it until it happens to you.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top