JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Why is the end of the world if you can't post in your ad within 7 days?

There are several members on here who have lost their income, and must sell firearms to supplement, and I don't see it as being fair when frequent buyers/sellers see the need to "update" their posts within 2-3 days and push everyone else to page 2 or 3.

Exactly.
It is selfish to bump these jobless folks to page 2, just so a person that is posting from work can advertise a $10 price drop.

If everyone just follows the 1 week rule, then nobody is treated unfairly.

I don't buy and sell much so I doesn't affect me much, but I do like reading through the ads and its nice not having the same adds at the top with twenty TTT like some other forums. thanks guys for a good little forum.

Wow, I see nothing is getting changed for the better in the for sale section. Here's a new one for us to ponder upon.

I had a for sale thread today with a bunch of "Thread Crapping" on it so I started a new thread. I got an INFRACTION for starting a new thread before 7 days. This is BS. Did the thread crappers get infractions??? NO NO NO

If things continue like this, I will find myself on the other forums more and more.

Wow, I see nothing is getting changed for the better in the for sale section. Here's a new one for us to ponder upon.

I had a for sale thread today with a bunch of "Thread Crapping" on it so I started a new thread. I got an INFRACTION for starting a new thread before 7 days. This is BS. Did the thread crappers get infractions??? NO NO NO

If things continue like this, I will find myself on the other forums more and more.
It's a fine line, some people don't mind the idle chit chat in their thread some do. I am always willing to delete OT post if requested by the OP though. Reading through your thread I see you responded in kind to the threadcrappers.

It's a fine line, some people don't mind the idle chit chat in their thread some do. I am always willing to delete OT post if requested by the OP though. Reading through your thread I see you responded in kind to the threadcrappers.

Thanks Trlsman. I try to keep things cool, but i don't like threadcrapping and would not do it myself. I don't believe i should deserve an infraction for closing the thread and starting a new one. I think if the mod would have read through the original thread, it wouldn't have happened. Will you look into this for me?

Thanks, Jason

And please... if ANYONE with an active ad sees "threadcrapping" in their ad, use the REPORT tool to report the posting(s) and THEY will be dealt with accordingly.

When an OP responds in kind to idle chit-chat in their thread we as mods tend to think that the OP is okay with it. So, if you are NOT okay with it, don't respond in the thread but rather report the "TC" post.

This will also help avoid potential "bump" violations as well. :s0025:

Thanks Trlsman. I try to keep things cool, but i don't like threadcrapping and would not do it myself. I don't believe i should deserve an infraction for closing the thread and starting a new one. I think if the mod would have read through the original thread, it wouldn't have happened. Will you look into this for me?

Thanks, Jason

Jason, if you ever see dumping in your ads, hit the report button.

The person doing the crappin' will definitely receive an infraction.

I don't understand why some folks are so upset about people trading "so many guns". For folks that have been intensely involved with guns, for a lot of years, a big part of the hobby evolves around gun trading. The beginners don't want to understand that. Gun trading, to enhance a persons hobby, or collection, is not a bad thing.

When folks come to me for information regarding a firearm, there's a good chance I will have an educated answer for them, as there's a good chance I have direct, hands-on experience with a firearm they're asking about. That's where the gun-trading has played a huge role, over a lot of years.

There's a whole lot of energy wasted, with the nipping at the heels of folks that have devoted a good many years in perpetuating the art and science of gun collecting. There's a culture, on this forum, that sits back in hopes that they'll be the first one to report that "Trader Bob" needs a citation. I've seen some ads here, posted by some very knowledgeable folks, attempting to remain in the parameters of all the "rules", as well as some ads, posted by folks that have no idea of gun-collecting, and/or forum protocol, and everything in between. If the legitimate buyers, sellers, and collectors, are made to feel uncomfortable and unwelcome, the quality of this forum will erode.

None of this is meant to say that blatant forum violations, or violations of etiquette should be allowed, but there could be a middle ground. If a seller answers a question about an item, after the fact, and there are no "victims", and the answer maybe "could" have been included in the original ad, I think it is a no-harm, no-foul situation.

Also, I have gone back through previous ads, posted by senior members, that are outside the accepted rules, and could have resulted in violations. There was no harm done to anybody, but my point is, some folks are singled out by the forum-police, while others are left untouched, for committing the same "crimes".

WAYNO.

I don't understand why some folks are so upset about people............

......Also, I have gone back through previous ads, posted by senior members, that are outside the accepted rules, and could have resulted in violations. There was no harm done to anybody, but my point is, some folks are singled out by the forum-police, while others are left untouched, for committing the same "crimes".

WAYNO.

I could not agree more.

Thank you for the THOUGHTFUL post WAYNO!

I don't understand why some folks are so upset about people trading "so many guns". For folks that have been intensely involved with guns, for a lot of years, a big part of the hobby evolves around gun trading. The beginners don't want to understand that. Gun trading, to enhance a persons hobby, or collection, is not a bad thing.

When folks come to me for information regarding a firearm, there's a good chance I will have an educated answer for them, as there's a good chance I have direct, hands-on experience with a firearm they're asking about. That's where the gun-trading has played a huge role, over a lot of years.

I honestly have only seen the topic of amount of gun traded brought up by members not NWFA staff.

There's a whole lot of energy wasted, with the nipping at the heels of folks that have devoted a good many years in perpetuating the art and science of gun collecting. There's a culture, on this forum, that sits back in hopes that they'll be the first one to report that "Trader Bob" needs a citation. I've seen some ads here, posted by some very knowledgeable folks, attempting to remain in the parameters of all the "rules", as well as some ads, posted by folks that have no idea of gun-collecting, and/or forum protocol, and everything in between. If the legitimate buyers, sellers, and collectors, are made to feel uncomfortable and unwelcome, the quality of this forum will erode.

The system as it stands now is automatically done in the software. It's seven days and no less, anything else would be sending a mixed message and would not be equal to all members.

None of this is meant to say that blatant forum violations, or violations of etiquette should be allowed, but there could be a middle ground. If a seller answers a question about an item, after the fact, and there are no "victims", and the answer maybe "could" have been included in the original ad, I think it is a no-harm, no-foul situation.

Buyer are allowed to ask questions now and sellers are allowed to answer those question now. Maybe I'm not understanding where the problem is?

Also, I have gone back through previous ads, posted by senior members, that are outside the accepted rules, and could have resulted in violations. There was no harm done to anybody, but my point is, some folks are singled out by the forum-police, while others are left untouched, for committing the same "crimes". WAYNO.

There was a lot of abuse of the bump rules before I came on, I made the choice to go from a date close to when I started modding to start the clean up and getting the early bumping back on track so everyone got a free pass before that time not just some "special" members.

One thing to consider is that we mods must and do abide by the same bump rules as the rest of the members.

Here look at PhysicsGuy's Ad's. You will see he is in compliance with the rules from when the 7 day bump rules originally started.

<broken link removed>

I agree that questions need to be asked and answered in AD threads, but what doesn't need to happen are "good buddy" bumps like: "Hey nice gun" followed a day later by the OP posting "Thanks" and then that good buddy bumps his buddies AD with "hey nice gun". It's just a way to beat the system and it's very unfair to the rest of the members that chose to play fair.

I can assure you of one thing, that's no members are singled out, and that they come to our attention on their own. None of the Mods want to or go looking to give out warnings or infractions. I can only speak for myself but I would like to spend my time reading the forum not dealing with problems.

One thing I don't think all members understand and that is the difference between an infraction and a warning. Warnings are given just to bring a rule that a member has broken to that members attention not as any form of penalty. It is also a form of accounting for the mods as without a warning we would never know who has already spoken to a member about a situation and whether a members has been notified x number of times about breaking the same rule.

If there are more concerns I am happy to discuss this.

I don't get how the 7 day bump rule is in any way effective. People simply bump for their friends all the time to get around this rule. Their friends will ask dumb questions or give a 'free bump'. So the more friends you have the easier to get around the 7 day rule.
The only way to be even close to fair is to not allow people to post in classified threads at all, or do away with the 7 day rule altogether. Letting friends bump for each other makes the entire 7 day rule worthless.

I don't get how the 7 day bump rule is in any way effective. People simply bump for their friends all the time to get around this rule. Their friends will ask dumb questions or give a 'free bump'. So the more friends you have the easier to get around the 7 day rule.
The only way to be even close to fair is to not allow people to post in classified threads at all, or do away with the 7 day rule altogether. Letting friends bump for each other makes the entire 7 day rule worthless.

Easiest way to make the classifieds "fair" for all is to not allow any posts unless you are purchasing the item. I never understood why someone would post in an ad if they never had any intentions or means to purchase the item.

It's easier to keep the ads open to all that want to ask a question, or make a comment. If the ad threads were closed to posting then the seller would be FLOODED with PMs about the item. I know that I would not want to have to answer a thousand PMs on my item. It's easier in the thread to do that.

We are watching for this practice and have already taken action against some members who were found doing this. If you see this occurring, report the violating bumps and we will look into them.

We are watching for this practice and have already taken action against some members who were found doing this. If you see this occurring, report the violating bumps and we will look into them.

The problem is that if people are even semi smart about it, there is no way for the mods to know for sure that is it is a friend bumping for a friend. All they have to do is ask an intelligent question about the item, and BLAMMO, free bump. One of those things where nobody could really prove it one way or the other. You guys only catch a small &#37;..ie the 'not-so-smart' cheaters.

One way to at least eliminate cheaters from having such an advantage is to allow each of us to bump our threads in a shorter turn-around..ie once every 48 hours. Then the 'friends' and their questions every couple days don't really matter so much... Or allow no posting at all other than the OP.

Status

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads