JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Reactions
I just got a warning for supposedly bumping my for sale thread. All I did was update my post (stating in the thread, rather than in the header as they recommend) that I would take $$ or trades as I have been contacted by numerous people. I assumed this would be the best way to get the information out to everyone who had inquired. Heck no, I get my hand slapped and feel like I am back in grade school.

When someone who is selling something has vital information to add, this should not be considered a bump. Also when a seller answers a question within his thread should not considered a bump. I see the MODS throwing out warnings all the time like free candy. To me it seems there would be better things to moderate rather than a possible bump by a supporting and paying member. Even if people were bumping thier ads, what problem does it cause? I have a very popular website of mine own that people sell on, and I have never seen it a problem for someone to update thier ad. Why would they want to wait a week to add vital information and lose a potential sale. I see people out of work who need money. Why would we want to hold up a sale for them? This could mean the difference of putting food on the table or not.

I have talked to numerous members with similar views, but nobody has spoken up. Let the site know how you feel, before we start losing valuable members.

This is a great forum and I only want to make things better for ALL members, So please take no offense to my comments. As soon as we start nitpicking at the members, they will just leave.

:s0155:

very nicely said. sometimes I get bumped for the stupidist things. But they do lay the "smack down" on me, from time to time. Ive thought about leaving plenty of times. I see so many people bump especially in the WTB section. Trust me, they are on my A** If I bumped, guarentee I will
get spoken to.

I feel like yes it is a race to get items sold. A week is horribly long. I havent had no bites when my add is so far down, people probably think it is closed. Like jkraig said. The "bump" may have been my next meal.

I enjoy buying, shooting, then getting bored with and, selling guns. The forums (both here and others) are an excellent tool to help me do that. Its great because I can find trades easier than putting them in my local newspaper.

Its taken me a while to get used to some of the stricter rules on this site as opposed to TheHighRoad (both .org and .us) and TheFiringLine. But the classified section here also seems to be much more civilized. I've been warned by the moderators here for bumping too often. I PMed the mod and he explained what was going on and helped me fix what I was trying to. I have never been warned for answering a question asked by someone posting on my thread. They just asked me, and the rest of us, to edit posts to clarify and fix mistakes in the post.

I understand your frustration, I just don't agree with all of it...

I have heard the exact opposite thread posted a couple of times where people complain that other people are daily bumping their thread pushing their thread off the first page. (Personally, I don't understand why being on page two is that big of a deal. I know that I regularly look into the second and third pages, but that is just me.)

Sure, it is reasonable for someone to post new and vital information on their thread, but who determines if the information is "new and vital" or "filler to get a free bump". I have seen plenty of people post "It is still here!" or "This is a great deal for someone!" I would consider a new price to be vital and new, but "come get it" not. The mods have chosen not to try and make that call.

Instead, the rule is - don't bump more than once a week. You can answer questions, but if you have new information, just modify the ad.

When I first got here, I bumped my ad to early being unaware of the rule. I got a PM telling me about the rule and asking me not to do it again. I didn't consider it a big deal.

Personally, I prefer the "once-per-week" bump over the no rules version. I am at glocktalk quite a lot. They have no bumping rules and it seems like there are a collection of items that "float" at the top of the list making difficult to find the new stuff.

Just my 0.02.

I like the way it currently is. Its the best balance that there can be on a site like this. I've been on too many sites where bumps aren't controlled and the person with the most free time is the one who sells the most stuff. It's painful seeing the same adds pop up because of stupid stuff.

I'm currently trying to trade a pistol for a rifle and trust me, it's painful waiting a week to bump it again but I manage. I accept having to wait myself to not have to see a person with a $300 mosin bump his add every day. Wading through 3 pages of ads at the top of the classified is painful when you only want to see new stuff!

Sure, it is reasonable for someone to post new and vital information on their thread, but who determines if the information is "new and vital" or "filler to get a free bump". I have seen plenty of people post "It is still here!" or "This is a great deal for someone!" I would consider a new price to be vital and new, but "come get it" not. The mods have chosen not to try and make that call.

I love seeing AR15 adds that say it's chambered in the original post as a 5.56 and magically 2 days later a bump post comes up saying "It will also shoot .223"

I have heard the exact opposite thread posted a couple of times where people complain that other people are daily bumping their thread pushing their thread off the first page. (Personally, I don't understand why being on page two is that big of a deal. I know that I regularly look into the second and third pages, but that is just me.)

Instead, the rule is - don't bump more than once a week. You can answer questions, but if you have new information, just modify the ad.

When I first got here, I bumped my ad to early being unaware of the rule. I got a PM telling me about the rule and asking me not to do it again. I didn't consider it a big deal.

Personally, I prefer the "once-per-week" bump over the no rules version. I am at glocktalk quite a lot. They have no bumping rules and it seems like there are a collection of items that "float" at the top of the list making difficult to find the new stuff.

Just my 0.02.

You make allot of very good points. Don't get me wrong, I know how hard it is to run a site and keep everyone happy, but wanted other opinions. I see the same stuff as you mentiontioned above, but think a price change, added items, or anything along those lines would warrant a valid change. Maybe it's just easier to end the current listing and start a new one????Just my 2 cents.

I like the way it currently is. Its the best balance that there can be on a site like this. I've been on too many sites where bumps aren't controlled and the person with the most free time is the one who sells the most stuff. It's painful seeing the same adds pop up because of stupid stuff.

I'm currently trying to trade a pistol for a rifle and trust me, it's painful waiting a week to bump it again but I manage. I accept having to wait myself to not have to see a person with a $300 mosin bump his add every day. Wading through 3 pages of ads at the top of the classified is painful when you only want to see new stuff!

I like it the way it is also, but feel the #13 rule should be clarified, or the rules loosened up just a tad bit. I don't want to spend the night in forum jail. :s0114:

I don't think the system will ever be perfect, and I don't think its bad enough right now to start tweaking it too much. Again though, just my two cents.

You make allot of very good points. Don't get me wrong, I know how hard it is to run a site and keep everyone happy, but wanted other opinions. I see the same stuff as you mentiontioned above, but think a price change, added items, or anything along those lines would warrant a valid change. Maybe it's just easier to end the current listing and start a new one????Just my 2 cents.

I agree about the price change. I would like to see stuff that is "on sale" ( :s0114: ) get bumped. That is good stuff to see. Unfortunately, someone would probably find a way to abuse such a rule by lowering the price $0.01 or sompin'.

Thankfully, I have never been in a hurry to trade or sell anything where I couldn't wait a week.

I have fought to keep us from going back to the old classified system where only the person that places the ad can post in it.

The members are complaining that they follow the 1 week rule, and others bump their ads early.

They think that is unfair as do I.

The only way to make everyone happy is to go back to the old classified system. I think most of the members hated that though.

The bad thing is that members purposely left off important info, just so they could add it later, thus remaining on top and pushing the guys that follow the rules on to page 2.

The simple way to not worry about anything, just do not post in your ad more than once a week.

This place isn't here to be mainly a firearms classifieds, if you really care to sell your gun asap, go list it on gunbroker.com

I have fought to keep us from going back to the old classified system where only the person that places the ad can post in it.

The members are complaining that they follow the 1 week rule, and others bump their ads early.

They think that is unfair as do I.

The only way to make everyone happy is to go back to the old classified system. I think most of the members hated that though.

I agree. I hated it when it was that way. I am not saying to abolish any rules, but maybe loosen the noose a bit.:s0155:

The easiest way I see to fix this is for the original poster of the AD to be required to answer any questions from his thread in the original post thus his answer isn't a bump and the info is all in one spot for the next guy that may have the same question.

Thoughts?

The easiest way I see to fix this is for the original poster of the AD to be required to answer any questions from his thread in the original post tus his answer isn't a bump and the info is all in one spot for the next guy that may have the same question.

Thoughts?

Sounds good to me.

Can we also make it available for the seller to adjust his price if the amount is $10.00-20.00 (TBD by forum), or if he/she has added items to make the sale for attractive? This would at least keep people from bumping the post with a .01 reduction as mentioned earlier. I know we can make it perfect, but if we could implement some of these issues, I think it will benefit everyone.

Sounds good to me.

Can we also make it available for the seller to adjust his price if the amount is $10.00-20.00 (TBD by forum), or if he/she has added items to make the sale for attractive? This would at least keep people from bumping the post with a .01 reduction as mentioned earlier. I know we can make it perfect, but if we could implement some of these issues, I think it will benefit everyone.

I don't see any rule that would stop anyone from doing that now?

Status

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top