JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm not aware of any draconian Washington law in Oregon prohibiting a loaded rifle. For example, an Oregon CHL exempts you from a Portland ban on loaded rifles and magazines.

*Edit* ORS 166 also exempts concealed and loaded carry against local ordinances if you are actively hunting, fishing target shooting or traveling to and from; trust but verify (I believe it is 166.173, but it's been a long time since I've looked it up).

Again, I would consult an attorney if you plan on testing the travel to and from for too much of a duration in blue havens.

Last Edited:
166.173 Authority of city or county to regulate possession of loaded firearms in public places. (1) A city or county may adopt ordinances to regulate, restrict or prohibit the possession of loaded firearms in public places as defined in ORS 161.015.
(2) Ordinances adopted under subsection (1) of this section do not apply to or affect:
(a) A law enforcement officer.
(b) A member of the military in the performance of official duty.
(c) A person licensed to carry a concealed handgun.
(d) A person authorized to possess a loaded firearm while in or on a public building or court facility under ORS 166.370.
(e) An employee of the United States Department of Agriculture, acting within the scope of employment, who possesses a loaded firearm in the course of the lawful taking of wildlife.
(f) An honorably retired law enforcement officer, unless the person who is a retired law enforcement officer has been convicted of an offense that would make the person ineligible to obtain a concealed handgun license under ORS 166.291 and 166.292. [1995 s.s. c.1 §4; 1999 c.782 §8; 2009 c.556 §3; 2015 c.709 §1]

Looks like they got rid of the hunting, fishing, target shooting exemption.

I transport my firearms in a safe manner in whatever condition I see fit regardless of what city, state, county, etc. that I am traveling in. It's my vehicle and my personal property.

Of course I don't openly display my firearms or have them lying in plain sight.

Certain restrictions I just won't comply with…

166.173 Authority of city or county to regulate possession of loaded firearms in public places. (1) A city or county may adopt ordinances to regulate, restrict or prohibit the possession of loaded firearms in public places as defined in ORS 161.015.
(2) Ordinances adopted under subsection (1) of this section do not apply to or affect:
(a) A law enforcement officer.
(b) A member of the military in the performance of official duty.
(c) A person licensed to carry a concealed handgun.
(d) A person authorized to possess a loaded firearm while in or on a public building or court facility under ORS 166.370.
(e) An employee of the United States Department of Agriculture, acting within the scope of employment, who possesses a loaded firearm in the course of the lawful taking of wildlife.
(f) An honorably retired law enforcement officer, unless the person who is a retired law enforcement officer has been convicted of an offense that would make the person ineligible to obtain a concealed handgun license under ORS 166.291 and 166.292. [1995 s.s. c.1 §4; 1999 c.782 §8; 2009 c.556 §3; 2015 c.709 §1]

Looks like they got rid of the hunting, fishing, target shooting exemption.
So sounds like you can still transport your firearms you just can't have them loaded.

Certain restrictions I just won't comply with…
It's best not admitting that sort of thing on the Internet.

So sounds like you can still transport your firearms you just can't have them loaded.
Open carry is legal in Oregon, with the exception that local jurisdictions are allowed to provide additional legislation for those not exempt.

"For Oregonians, can I legally travel with a firearm in the trunk of my car so long as it's unloaded?"

It's okay with me. The infringing politicians would probably have some complaints about it, if they knew what you were doing.

Travelling from WA to an OR destination and simply transitting through Portland, city laws would be preempted by federal interstate travel laws. If you are going off the freeway any distance, they may... since it's more difficult to say "I'm just passing through" when you've bypassed normal travel services (fuel, food, etc.) and deep in enemy territory.

I don't have the regs handy, I can find them tomorrow, but ...

Oregon issues a CHL ... concealed HANDGUN license. Rifles cannot be concealed or carried loaded in a vehicle, just like Washington State.

Interstate travel is protected from the Regan era's Firearm Owners Protection Act, which has been eluded to already.

The quick explanation of that act states if possession is legal at the point of origin and the destination one can transit more restrictive jurisdictions without issue providing that only incidental stops are made and the firearm is unloaded, encased, and not readily accessible.

Incidental stops are short in nature and part of the travel, like fuel and meal stops or overnight strays in a motel.

I don't have the regs handy, I can find them tomorrow, but ...

Oregon issues a CHL ... concealed HANDGUN license. Rifles cannot be concealed or carried loaded in a vehicle, just like Washington State.
All of you Washington peeps really need to stop bringing Oregon down to the Washington level...

Last Edited:
Please post the regs showing this.
166.210 Definitions. As used in ORS 166.250 to 166.270, 166.291 to 166.295 and 166.410 to 166.470:
(5) "Handgun" means any pistol or revolver using a fixed cartridge containing a propellant charge, primer and projectile, and designed to be aimed or fired otherwise than from the shoulder.

This defines what firearms a CHL covers. Oregon does not allow the concealment of other weapons (rifles, knives, etc.) That can be found in 166.2xx area of the statutes.

I still have to dig for the other statutes, that prohibit loaded firearms in a vehicle. I thought I had them saved in a folder on my computer. It will take a few days.

166.210 Definitions. As used in ORS 166.250 to 166.270, 166.291 to 166.295 and 166.410 to 166.470:
(5) "Handgun" means any pistol or revolver using a fixed cartridge containing a propellant charge, primer and projectile, and designed to be aimed or fired otherwise than from the shoulder.

This defines what firearms a CHL covers. Oregon does not allow the concealment of other weapons (rifles, knives, etc.) That can be found in 166.2xx area of the statutes.

I still have to dig for the other statutes, that prohibit loaded firearms in a vehicle. I thought I had them saved in a folder on my computer. It will take a few days.
It's going to take a while because it doesn't exist..... You are correct in your reading of the definitions. However, in authorized possession of a firearm, it does not exist.

All of you Washington peeps really need to stop bringing Oregon down to the Washington level...

Might want to be careful about that. Most gun owners didn't vote for those laws and we're facing some severe BS here with Measure 114. If it passes, I'll be pretty pizzed if people start saying that "we" deserve it.

Might want to be careful about that. Most gun owners didn't vote for those laws and we're facing some severe BS here with Measure 114. If it passes, I'll be pretty pizzed if people start saying that "we" deserve it.
My point is this, at the time the question was posed, a similar law to Washington does not exist.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top