JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My wife and I are traveling from WA to Oregon for the long weekend and will be staying in a very remote campsite in the desert. I want to bring my AR for self defense reasons but am unclear on the law in regards to traveling with a firearm. I have read that it is legal to travel with any firearm so long as it is unloaded and locked in a box (assuming you don't have an OR CHL). Is this true or can I just unload my AR, and throw it in my trunk?

As far as I know yes you are fine with it unloaded in the trunk.

Going thru Portland and I think even the mag has to be unloaded but I can't keep up with what is and isn't legal in Portland so I just don't bother

As far as I know yes you are fine with it unloaded in the trunk.

Going thru Portland and I think even the mag has to be unloaded but I can't keep up with what is and isn't legal in Portland so I just don't bother
Yes, in Portland, MultCo, and many other blue jurisdictions in Oregon, you are not allowed to have loaded magazines, clips, speed loaders, etc. If you have a CHL, you are exempt from the local blue laws; refer to ORS 166, trust but verify.

Yes, in Portland, MultCo, and many other blue jurisdictions in Oregon, you are not allowed to have loaded magazines, clips, speed loaders, etc. If you have a CHL, you are exempt from the local blue laws; refer to ORS 166, trust but verify.
Looks like it is safe to travel with one so long it is in a locked compartment away from the driver or passenger. I'd consider the a locked trunk to be a closed and locked. Just to be safe I'll separate the ammo from the mags and the mag from the rifle making sure to store it in my gun bag as well. Thanks!

Sounds like good advice to me, don't forget to get a "gun in trunk" sign for your bumper or window. It will go along with your " student driver " and "baby on board" signs.

Another ORS 166 exemption is fishing, target shooting and hunting, which allows for travel to and from. Bring a fishing pole and get a fishing license.

There is also the interstate commerce clause, which allows for you to travel through a crummy state of you have your toys locked up in a case. NY and their likes have gone after people traveling through their airports, so I'd definitely avoid them. Again, trust but verify.

Last Edited:
Another ORS 166 exemption is fishing, target shooting and hunting, which allows for travel to and from. Bring a fishing pole and get a fishing license.

There is also the interstate commerce clause, which allows for you to travel through a crummy state of you have your toys locked up in a case. NY and their likes have gone after people traveling through their airports, so I'd definitely avoid them. Again, trust but verify.
By exemption do you mean exempt from those "traveling with firearm" laws so long as you're hunting, fishing, target shooting?

By exemption do you mean exempt from those "traveling with firearm" laws so long as you're hunting, fishing, target shooting?
Exempt from carrying, which includes concealed without a CHL. I would definitely consult with an attorney if you push that one much. Either way, you're good to go getting to the sticks; safest means as you already indicated is unloaded mags.

See this for reference:

Not an issue.
Looking at the law posted, and assuming the OP does not have an OR CHL, it looks to me that these things would be legal:

1) have a loaded AR rifle sitting on the seat next to you

2) have a loaded AR rifle in a bag (ie not visible, not on the person) sitting on the seat next to you

Someone plz correct me if I'm wrong. I'm just trying to clarify what is legal for rifles for a person with no chl.

3AD175B3-8A77-4397-A53C-83792EC44C83.jpeg

Q's:

A) how does this change if in multmomah county? (Reference posts #3 and #6 above)

B) Do the new 2021 storage laws apply (I assume no based on what I've seen because it's in their immediate control)? A blurb on that fwiw:
E67B6AD9-0A45-4EFF-AF0F-BA6D371AC9DE.jpeg

Last Edited:
Q's:

A) how does this change if in multmomah county? (Reference posts #3 and #6 above)

B) Do the new 2021 storage laws apply (I assume no based on what I've seen because it's in their immediate control)? A blurb on that fwiw:
View attachment 1269553
You could try for an exemption for hunting, fishing and target shooting, but otherwise, no loaded magazines, speed loaders, clips, etc.

Last Edited:
You could try for an exemption for hunting, fishing and target shooting, but otherwise, no loaded magazines, speed loaders, clips, etc.
So maybe OP could treat it as:

do 1 thing for vehicle storage when traveling through communist areas, and then go back to normal, common sense carry/storage when in non communist areas.

Looking at the law posted, and assuming the OP does not have an OR CHL, it looks to me that these things would be legal:

2) have a loaded AR rifle in a bag (ie not visible, not on the person) sitting on the seat next to you

Someone plz correct me if I'm wrong. I'm just trying to clarify what is legal for rifles for a person with no chl.

View attachment 1269541

Q's:

View attachment 1269553
Even with a CHL you can NOT ever have a loaded rifle with you in the cab. Not even hunting.

In fact they look for people with loaded rifles while out hunting and I have heard of people getting fined for it.

IF it is a Pistol and you have a license you can have it loaded next to you.

Even with a CHL you can NOT ever have a loaded rifle with you in the cab. Not even hunting.

In fact they look for people with loaded rifles while out hunting and I have heard of people getting fined for it.

IF it is a Pistol and you have a license you can have it loaded next to you.
Please cite your source.

View attachment 1269541

Q's:

View attachment 1269553
Q A - They are screwy and have their own set of regs that supersede state laws.

Q B - That law pertains to households and not transportation of firearms

Exempt from carrying, which includes concealed without a CHL. I would definitely consult with an attorney if you push that one much. Either way, you're good to go getting to the sticks; safest means as you already indicated is unloaded mags.
Oregons laws (as posted above) explicitly we're talking about traveling with firearms.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top