JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Oregon has no law prohibiting the transport of loaded rifles except in Multnomah county where even the magazines must be empty.

For out of state visitors to Oregon there is a federal law that applies to all firearms requiring them to be unloaded and not readily accessible: 18 U.S.C 962A
The thing about Multmomah county though is they don't enforce any laws at all so it doesn't matter anyway in a risk of consequences sense.

Daily there are violent crimes and shootings where nothing is ever done. I remember about a month ago now a guy tracked down his stolen car and called the police for help. They said "there is nothing we can do." He was shot trying to get his car back and went to the hospital with life threatening injuries.

I've called them for man beating naked petite lady, nothing. Man throwing rocks at cars, trying to destroy bus stop with metal pipe, chasing pedestrians with metal pipe, nothing. Woman trying to break into four separate houses and offices, nothing. Man stealing pipes from city construction site, nothing. I don't think having a loaded magazine means anything in multnomah county because the laws are pretty much meaningless now.

The thing about Multmomah county though is they don't enforce any laws at all so it doesn't matter anyway in a risk of consequences sense.
I wouldn't count on that for gun owners. But maybe if you light a few dumpsters on fire on your way thru town and just say your protesting they may just say keep moving along...

I wouldn't count on that for gun owners. But maybe if you light a few dumpsters on fire on your way thru town and just say your protesting they may just say keep moving along...
Just keep a protest sign under your seat and it's all smooth sailing... "oh yes officer, I think my registration is right here, oh that's not it, that's my sign..." :p

My wife and I are traveling from WA to Oregon for the long weekend and will be staying in a very remote campsite in the desert. I want to bring my AR for self defense reasons but am unclear on the law in regards to traveling with a firearm. I have read that it is legal to travel with any firearm so long as it is unloaded and locked in a box (assuming you don't have an OR CHL). Is this true or can I just unload my AR, and throw it in my trunk?
You have to have the gun in a locked container or with gun lock on preferably in the trunk, and ammo separated, like in the backseat. Even with concealed carry, it needs to be on your person at all times while doing so. If not, still needs to be locked up while transporting

You have to have the gun in a locked container or with gun lock on preferably in the trunk, and ammo separated, like in the backseat. Even with concealed carry, it needs to be on your person at all times while doing so. If not, still needs to be locked up while transporting
This post may be sarcasm but just in case it isn't, it needs to clarified that this info is incorrect (as shown in numerous posts above referencing OR laws).

Last Edited:
Exempt from carrying, which includes concealed without a CHL. I would definitely consult with an attorney if you push that one much. Either way, you're good to go getting to the sticks; safest means as you already indicated is unloaded mags.
Just always say you are currently fishing

This post may be sarcasm but just in case it isn't, it needs to clarified that this info is incorrect (as shown in numerous posts above referencing OR laws).
You should read up on ORS 166.250.
It specifically says

"If a vehicle, other than a vehicle described in paragraph (c) of this subsection, has no storage location that is outside the passenger compartment of the vehicle, a handgun is not readily accessible within the meaning of this section if:"

You can only have it in your glove box or arm rest compartment if you dont have a storage compartment outside of the car, i.e a trunk.

You should read up on ORS 166.250.
It specifically says

"If a vehicle, other than a vehicle described in paragraph (c) of this subsection, has no storage location that is outside the passenger compartment of the vehicle, a handgun is not readily accessible within the meaning of this section if:"

You can only have it in your glove box or arm rest compartment if you dont have a storage compartment outside of the car, i.e a trunk.
The OP's post, which you responded to in post #44, states he is asking about an AR. He is not asking about concealing a handgun.

A little bit of a tangent here - a story of what NOT to do:

Some years back my friend's sons (young adults) decided to go on a road trip across the country to visit friends in another state. They wanted to take a bunch of guns so they could target shoot when they got there.

They were unsure of the laws regarding traveling with firearms, so they went to the ultimate legal authority: a family friend who was a retired police officer. :eek:

The (bad) advice he gave them was that the laws vary in different states, so to make sure they were legal, they should have all the handguns out and visible at all times in the vehicle. That way they wouldn't get in trouble for illegally concealed handguns.

So, traveling through Nebraska at 100mph, they got stopped for speeding. Cop freaks out at the sight of a car full of young men and handguns, full felony stop, calls in reinforcements, they sit on the side of the road in handcuffs while a bunch of cops tear the car apart.

The result was a big, fat ticket for speeding, a stern lecture for being STUPID, told to conceal those handguns by locking them in the trunk, and sent on their way.

A little bit of a tangent here - a story of what NOT to do:

Some years back my friend's sons (young adults) decided to go on a road trip across the country to visit friends in another state. They wanted to take a bunch of guns so they could target shoot when they got there.

They were unsure of the laws regarding traveling with firearms, so they went to the ultimate legal authority: a family friend who was a retired police officer. :eek:

The (bad) advice he gave them was that the laws vary in different states, so to make sure they were legal, they should have all the handguns out and visible at all times in the vehicle. That way they wouldn't get in trouble for illegally concealed handguns.

So, traveling through Nebraska at 100mph, they got stopped for speeding. Cop freaks out at the sight of a car full of young men and handguns, full felony stop, calls in reinforcements, they sit on the side of the road in handcuffs while a bunch of cops tear the car apart.

The result was a big, fat ticket for speeding, a stern lecture for being STUPID, told to conceal those handguns by locking them in the trunk, and sent on their way.
As a youth I personally experienced a cop totally freaking out at the sight of an empty ruger 10/22 on the back seat with no one near it.

I think it's probably best to follow the law but also don't draw attention to yourself and don't assume a LEO will know what he is doing when you get pulled over. Make their job easy so everyone can be on their way with no alarm bells going off. The vast majority of LEOs will respond correctly but you never know if one will freak out or not.

Well what do you suspect getting pulled over for? Put the thing in a bag, lock the bag and put it in the trunk... if anything goes down weird, you do not consent to searches, most of the time there is no probably cause anyway unless you give it to them.

Here's one for ya....I live in oregon and I'm headed to California for work, yes I work for the government and I will be traveling with goverment firearms in a goverment pickup. Multiple suppressed firearms all for work use. My edc has to stay at home or can I take it with? Store it in the same lock box as the goverment guns? Even carry while I'm on duty? I carry on the job here but I know how crazy cali is

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top