JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
:huh:can anyone cite the law or know enough about the shipping laws regarding shipping firearms person to person. I was talking with another member on here and we were not sure if one can send a long gun via ups or another carrier to another person in the state of oregon (both being legally capable of owning a firearm of course) or a handgun for that matter. sometimes there are guns on the other side of the mountain that we must have, but alas the driving time to get there and back is a killer............thanks for reading and participating.

Nonlicensee

[18 U.S.C. 921(a)(32), 922(g)(8) and 925(a)(1)]

(B7) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U.S. Postal Service?

A nonlicensee may not transfer a firearm to a non-licensed resident of another State. A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. The Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun.
[18 U.S.C. 1715, 922(a)(3), 922(a)(5) and 922 (a)(2)(A)]

(
B8) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by common or contract carrier?

A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm.
[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(2)(A), 922(a) (3), 922(a)(5) and 922(e), 27 CFR 478.31 and 478.30]
(B9) May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity?

Yes. A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm.

FFL Dealers:

(F14) Who may ship handguns through the U.S. Postal Service?

Federal firearm licensees may send an unloaded handgun in the mail to another FFL in customary trade shipments. Handguns also may be mailed to any officer, employee, agent, or watchman who is eligible under 18 U.S.C. 1715 to receive pistols, revolvers, and other firearms capable of being concealed on the person for use in connection with his or her official duties.

However, postal service regulations must be followed. Any person proposing to mail a handgun must file with the postmaster, at the time of mailing, an affidavit signed by the addressee stating that the addressee is qualified to receive the firearm, and the affidavit must bear a certificate stating that the firearm is for the official use of the addressee. See the current Postal Manual for details.

The Postal Service recommends that all firearms be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms. (See also Questions B7 and B8.)
Search & More

So really you have to tell ups by law your shiping a handgun and they can tell you we do not ship handguns as policy if they want.......has anyone here had UPS ship a handgun for them interstate oregon, and did they do it. What does anybody else do when they find a nice gun say in Bend and want it shipped to them, who do you use if you have done this before.

However your local postmaster may approve the shipment of a handgun by you if certain conditions are met.

No hand guns unless you have a FFL, Long guns, yes...........

So really you have to tell ups by law your shiping a handgun and they can tell you we do not ship handguns as policy if they want.......has anyone here had UPS ship a handgun for them interstate oregon, and did they do it. What does anybody else do when they find a nice gun say in Bend and want it shipped to them, who do you use if you have done this before.

I've shipped many firearms FedEx with no probs.......

I have used both UPS and FedEx to ship handguns, and yes you must declare a firearm in the package, they will also want to have a sign FFL form in the package should the firearm is being shipped to a FFL or know that the firearm is being shipped to the manufacture.

Most of the time you will have to go directly to a UPS center as the UPS stores will not ship firearms at least in this area.

You can ship longarms yourself, via USPS.

For handguns, you might want to check with a local gun shop because they CAN ship via USPS, and it may be cheaper to go through them.

Regardless of how you ship, the recipient must be an FFL (or C&R holder, if you're shipping a gun that qualifies).

raindog is wrong. You can ship all legal firearms to another private person in your state.UPS will gladdly take your money. The UPS shop that recieves your gun for shippment has to be certified by UPS to deal with firearms. Mine can't ship wine.
But you can definatly ship firearms in state with no FFL.

Raindog says:
You can ship longarms yourself, via USPS.

For handguns, you might want to check with a local gun shop because they CAN ship via USPS, and it may be cheaper to go through them.

Regardless of how you ship, the recipient must be an FFL (or C&R holder, if you're shipping a gun that qualifies).

this last line, above, is wrong... 18 CFR says a nonlicensee CAN ship to another nonlicensee IN YOUR OWN STATE. Long guns, USPS is fine. Handguns, no mail, must use UPS/FedEx.... and THEY insist it go overnight, no option. (stupid policy if you ask me, but they obviously didn't). Somewhere near fifty bucks....

thus his suggestion of taking it to a friendly FFL dealer, who can legally ship by USPS, typically in the Flat Rate Box, twelve bucks. SO, if that local dealer's fee, added to the $12 USPS for mailing, comes to less than the Brown/White overnight tariff, you'd save.. last time I had handguns shipped UPS, overnight saver, it cost over $90..... ouch. I asked him to find a local dealer and ask what they would charge to handle outbound shipping to a FFL Dealer... he didn't want to. Ouch.... but, the guns I got at the price I paid made it worth it.

Yeah, these comlicated and arcane laws are, in addition, unconstitutional... right to keep and bear, and restriction of interstate commerce.

There is NO GOOD REASON why I cannot ship a handgun by USPS, in the flat rate box, or any other packaging, as long as the gun can legally be owned by the consignee. Its not that I CAN"T ship to that person, as I can... only forced to use Common Carriers (White, Brown), which have regs requiring expensive overnight service. Totally unnecessary, and restrictive beyond safety.

BUT--- how many innocent folk, thinking they DO have the right to keep and bear, buy and sell across state lines, etc, are caught on the wrong side of these regs.... and become Federal level felons.... never to be able to own firearms again.

Times I wonder whether these regs aren't deliberately set up for the express purpose of catching out innocent folk and removing their right (unconstitutionally) to keep and bear.......

and when will enough people get mad enough to toss off this nonsense?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top