JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
10-22s, like AR-15s and Harleys are made to be upgraded. A standard plastic stock 10-22 can easily be shortened then upgraded later. I did this and then put on a SS folder later on.

As to the take-down model, I would get more feedback and if possible try one before purchasing. I had one and sold it because the accuracy was poor with a scope. Before I get flamed here let me just say that the joint was properly adjusted and looked at by a gunsmith. I think it is because the scope is on the receiver and the sights are on the barrel. The accuracy was fine with just the iron sights. I have had this same experience with air rifles (barrel cockers vs pump up)

I taught my twin daughters on a Ruger 10-22 when they were 9. Two Kids with guns is a lot for One dad to oversee at once.

The reason I feel like this is that I got the hell scared out of me. We are at the firing line and as one daughter is preparing to shoot, the other decides she wants to be on the other side and ducks in front before I can stop her. The barrel of the 22 was inches from the side of her head.

That was with one gun, try to imagine controlling two.

Wasn't planning on it, but ended up starting my 4 year old son in instruction and safety with a youth Bow & arrow from Cabelas on a whim. He's really taken to it and it has been great for hand eye coordination and focus issues. Been rewarding for me and the Kid and good beginner course in teaching fundamentals for me. Next step will be a red Ryder and than a .22 bolt when he shows he's ready. Now I need to learn to hunt so I can do that with him when he's old enough, so he's not a rookie coming late in the game like his pops...

As I will be teaching my grandson, this is an interesting question.

My current thoughts-
1. Use a reasonably popular model -
2. Not an heirloom quality - but a rack / shooter quality (it's going to get banged )
3. Replaceable stock - Hogue make youth size stocks that in a 10/22 can be swapped in 2 minutes or less.
4. Ensure it can work single shot - whether bolt action or semi, you need a magazine which holds only one
(yes I know you can load only one in your 500 rd mag BUT we are talking children ...
5. Get targets that react - frozen dixie cups with food coloring, metal plates, spinners, etc.
6. When they are mature enough, find some competition - ie Speed Steel, (there are others which are child friendly)

I started with a bb gun. That is my dad had one, I knew it, and could never touch it (thanks mom)
I think these are a good way to go - but again you need to size them appropriately.

I started my kids of with a youth CZ bolt action. It is a great rifle. Small and reliable and adults can still use it just fine.
If you want to break into the black rifle world. The S&W M&P 15-22 is the best, hands down by a large margin.
And it's light weight plus the stock collapses for the smaller people and goes out to full size for the biggest kids. (dad)