JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Prefer Handguns or Longguns at the range/out shooting

• Total voters
For me, the handguns do it. Lacking a .30 cal and .41 cal, but up to .45 cal I've got it covered. Oldest son has the .50's covered, so I've got access to a .500 S&W and .50 AE.

That maybe the regulations play a part in that imbalance?

Nope.

Just a PITA policy in my county by the Chief constable three chiefs ago, an avid gun-hater [very odd in a rural county of farms and pheasant-rearing, that] who decided that six guns was okay, ten is a few too many, fifteen is ludicrous and any more is to be discouraged, no matter that they were already in full legal possession of the current owner. So if I want any more, it's a one-for-one deal.

Next county over there is no such constraint and it seems that provided that you comply with the security requirements - ie, that YOU are wholly responsible for the security of your firearms [as, indeed, do I], you can have as many as you feel like.

Nope.

Just a PITA policy in my county by the Chief constable three chiefs ago, an avid gun-hater [very odd in a rural county of farms and pheasant-rearing, that] who decided that six guns was okay, ten is a few too many, fifteen is ludicrous and any more is to be discouraged, no matter that they were already in full legal possession of the current owner. So if I want any more, it's a one-for-one deal.

Next county over there is no such constraint and it seems that provided that you comply with the security requirements - ie, that YOU are wholly responsible for the security of your firearms [as, indeed, do I], you can have as many as you feel like.

You grant us perspectives we certainly may not have had.
And this is not the first time.

Thanks.

Indeed! :D

And a shout-out to Laura San Giacomo... :):):)

My MT husband and I really enjoy watching that movie. My late husband liked that movie too.

ALL of the actors are great in it.

He gets such a kick out of Laura too! He literally laughs out loud when she talks to Tom S. and calls him Roy.

[Quigley has been beaten and left for dead in the Australian desert]

Crazy Cora : Don't worry, on a new job it's quite common for things not to go well at first.

Crazy Cora : You know, if we're lost, you can tell me.

Matthew Quigley : We're lost.

Crazy Cora : I can take bad news. Just tell me straight.

Matthew Quigley : I don't know where the hell we are.

Crazy Cora : No sense takin' time to make it sound better than it is.

Matthew Quigley : I reckon we're goin' in circles.

Crazy Cora : Wire things up and I'll see right through. So, just tell me honestly. Are we lost?

Matthew Quigley : Nope. I know exactly where we are.

Crazy Cora : That's good, 'cause, frankly, I was gettin' a little worried.

LOL

We will have to watch this again soon!

I love the quote that Tom S. says about handguns too.

"I said I never had much use for one. Never said I didn't know how to use it."

Cate

I used to enjoy shooting handguns the MOST and owned more of them too. Late 90's and on.

Since I have hand arthritis and a few other physical issues, I no longer own, carry or shoot handguns.

So my answer is rifles now.

I enjoy bolt action rifles and this is what I own now:

(22lr and 22wmr)

I still love lever action rifles and single shot rifles but I do not own any now.

The heavier, beautiful, walnut, tack driving and sweet rifles went bye bye for me. For my husband shy of 2 rifles now too.

My husband still owns his last two lever action rifles in 30-30 (Walnut and stainless steel.) and 45-70 (Walnut and blued.) CT made Marlin rifles.

ALL of the other lever action rifles are gone in RF and in CF calibers.

He has always favored bolt action and lever action rifles the MOST above any other type of rifle too. And he owns NO other type of rifle action than those 2 above now.

He does not own any shotguns now.

I never owned a shotgun but I did consider a few over the years.

He shoots his rifles far MORE than his only and remaining 3 pistols in 45acp and 22lr.

Old Lady Cate
PS: I can say that IF I had NO hand arthritis and IF I had to choose between any type of handgun (RF or CF), any type of rifle (RF or CF) and any type of shotgun (Any gauge or a .410 bore.)... at this stage of my life (I am 70 years old.) - I would still pick a RIFLE and it would be what I own now in the above CZ bolt action rifles using iron sights in 22wmr and in 22lr.

Last Edited:
For me, the handguns do it. Lacking a .30 cal and .41 cal, but up to .45 cal I've got it covered. Oldest son has the .50's covered, so I've got access to a .500 S&W and .50 AE.

I highly recommend the 41 Magnum. I don't have one now, but I owned and shot a couple of them for many years. Fantastic cartridge.

I have to admit, nothing short of a Tommy Gun made me giggle anywhere near as much as the 500 S&W did. I describe it as an M80 going off in your hands as far as blast and flash (recoil could border on severe, of course, depending on ammo). I smile just thinking about it.:)

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top