JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
One thing to note - storing pancake/biscuit mix is a good idea and something I do. But remember, the recipes call for milk. Unless you have a milk cow or goats available, powdered milk is also a requirement.
What is the benefit to storing pancake mix over the individual ingredients- flour, baking powder & soda, etc?

Or do y'all just eat that many pancakes!

One thing to note - storing pancake/biscuit mix is a good idea and something I do. But remember, the recipes call for milk. Unless you have a milk cow or goats available, powdered milk is also a requirement.
Use Krusteaz. No milk needed, just add water. You can make all kinds of things with it by adding other ingredients (many recipes on the internet) but all you need for pancakes is water. Stores well, too. I've had some around going on 3 years now with no loss in quality.

You can get the 5 lb. resealable bags at Grocery Outlet for about $4.50.

Syrup for your pancakes/waffles.

Don't forget coffee if you drink it.

Last Edited:
You want to get some oils/fats. Hardest macronutrient to produce, and we need a good amount of it. Standard vegetable oils go rancid pretty fast but coconut oil can stay good a couple years out, and olive oil not as long but still a bit. Store as much as will stay good and rotate. Costco has the best price I've found for organic unrefined coconut oil

Costco has the best price I've found for organic unrefined coconut oil

Recently bought a tub of it for $15. It really is great.

Get a Costco membership, and start there. Go up and down the canned goods and baking and spice aisles and fill up your cart with anything that looks appealing. Then go over to the hygiene and medicine aisles (toothpaste, floss, vitamins, pain relief, cold and flu meds, shaving supplies, etc.). Then to the soap aisle. Then over to the meats aisle and get enough to fill up the freezer. Then to the toilet paper and household cleaning supplies area.

That bill will be about a $500-1000 and is a good start.

What is the benefit to storing pancake mix over the individual ingredients- flour, baking powder & soda, etc?
I would say shelf life, mainly. Unless you buy the stuff in cans, which can get spendy, flour doesn't store well. Flour from the supermarket (whether wheat or corn) will go rancid in a matter of months. So it's difficult to keep in quantity for any length of time. Krusteaz in the airtight bags will stay "fresh" much longer. Secondly, convenience. You just add water. Third, versatility. It can be used in a lot of different ways (pancakes, waffles, biscuits, muffins, cake, cookies, casseroles, cobblers, bread).
Some examples:

Last Edited:
I would say shelf life, mainly. Unless you buy the stuff in cans, which can get spendy, flour doesn't store well. Flour from the supermarket (whether wheat or corn) will go rancid in a matter of months. So it's difficult to keep in quantity for any length of time. Krusteaz in the airtight bags will stay "fresh" much longer. Secondly, convenience. You just add water. Third, versatility. It can be used in a lot of different ways (pancakes, waffles, biscuits, muffins, cake, cookies, casseroles, cobblers, bread).
Some examples:

Weird, I've stored flour in the regular packaging for years and didn't have it spoil, but I kept it very dry.

Use Krusteaz. No milk needed, just add water. You can make all kinds of things with it by adding other ingredients (many recipes on the internet) but all you need for pancakes is water. Stores well, too. I've had some around going on 3 years now with no loss in quality.

You can get the 5 lb. resealable bags at Grocery Outlet for about $4.50.

Syrup for your pancakes/waffles.

Don't forget coffee if you drink it.

Yup, krusteaz for the easy/simple factor.

Don't forget any ad ins/toppings to make more enjoyable. Semi sweet chocolate chips, dry fruit/freeze dried fruit/berries, jam, butter, peanut butter, Nutella, syrup (real & fake) etc.

Same ad ins can be used to make oats tastier as well.

i agree with the other choices especially salt, sugar and honey (honey is also an antibacterial and useful for all sorts of things). But I didn't see this item and despite my wife hating it, I recommend storing a bucket of a freeze dried or a preserved green vegetable and some capsules of vitamin C&D. You can find edible greens most seasons, but if something happens in the dead of winter greens can be hard to find. Plus conifer needle tea while having vitamin c in the spring isn't very potent in winter. Freeze dried broccoli (or peas) is a very acquired taste, but you need your greens, so add that and fruit, too.

Every single one of you get a fail. :rolleyes:

Not one single mention about stocking up on hot sauce. o_O

;):D
I'll second that. This is what I always wind up coming back to after I poison myself with those boutique hot sauces. (sometimes I drink Frank's right out of the bottle).

Franks.jpg

One tip:

I have food at work for snacks. I had a couple pounds of dried wasabi peas. I stored some in a plastic jar and some in a container on my desk which was a mix of those and other things (dried corn, etc. - kind of a 'trail mix' for snacking).

I was wondering where these flying insects around my desk came from. They were in the wasabi peas in the jar. I had bought the peas in the bulk food section. They somehow got out of the sealed jar and into other things - I had to throw out some pistachios. There were larvae in these containers.

Lesson: besides keeping things in impermeable containers, do not keep too much in any one container. If pests get inside or come in the product, they will quite probably spoil all of whatever is in the container.

So don't put all of your eggs in one basket so to speak.

One tip:

I have food at work for snacks. I had a couple pounds of dried wasabi peas. I stored some in a plastic jar and some in a container on my desk which was a mix of those and other things (dried corn, etc. - kind of a 'trail mix' for snacking).

I was wondering where these flying insects around my desk came from. They were in the wasabi peas in the jar. I had bought the peas in the bulk food section. They somehow got out of the sealed jar and into other things - I had to throw out some pistachios. There were larvae in these containers.

Lesson: besides keeping things in impermeable containers, do not keep too much in any one container. If pests get inside or come in the product, they will quite probably spoil all of whatever is in the container.

So don't put all of your eggs in one basket so to speak.
Maybe freeze whatever bulk food item your storing for a while first?

A mechanical grinder, just to be clear!

On that note, I'd say coffee is a good thing to have as well.besides being a warm drink to wake you, it can also help with digestion and act as a mild cold medicine. Don't forget some java!

Do yourself a solid and get unroasted, green coffee beans. Most accounts say to roast and use within two years but the jury is still out on total longevity...so pretty freakin long.

One item that I like is the dehydrated potato shreds, come in #10 cans. Or the slices. They are pretty reasonable in price from Walmart or Amazon. Auguson Farms is the brand I've had lately. They are fast to prepare, actually taste pretty good. I eat them with breakfast sometimes. I used to re-hydrate, then pan fry them. Until I discovered that they don't need pan frying, just heating. The manufacturer even fake browns them for "presentation."

Put it into a hard plastic container

Rats will get through just about any kind of plastic container. Plastic inside metal is a good idea.

Speed and convenience. It you are already dealing with an emergency situation, all the short-cuts you can get will come in handy to give you time for something else urgent.

You want to get some oils/fats.

I keep some in my emergency stash but it has to be changed very regularly. Once again, if your oil is bad and you get into an emergency, you don't want to waste time on fixing food that turns out to be inedible. I like the coconut oil idea.

The luxury of time is one thing that will be difficult to deal with in its absence for many of us. All kinds of routine tasks made easy by modernity go south in bad times, suddenly consuming way more time than we are used to. One example: Staying warm.

Previous suggestions are great and I wouldn't want to eat beans & rice for long periods of time if I have a choice.
I made sure to grab canned meat (pork, fish, chicken, shellfish, corned beet), soup, stew, tomatoes, pasta, canned fruit, juice, gatoraide, jerky, mixed nuts, ramen, vinegar, pepper, soy sauce, ... Pet food is another item many may find they need.

I think the list is as long as you allow it to be, keeping in mind certain items last longer than others.

Previous suggestions are great and I wouldn't want to eat beans & rice for long periods of time if I have a choice.
Good point. Something to flavor the beans with is helpful. I like barbeque sauce, also honey or molasses, liquid smoke (a little goes a long way) and the like. Bouillon for bean soup. Gravy for the rice.
I made sure to grab canned meat
For some variety, try a couple of those Armour summer sausages. Pound for pound they are cheaper than canned meat, will keep for a couple years in the refer, and if the S doesn't HTF they make great tasting hot subs when sliced thin and microwaved. Also can be chopped and added to bean soup.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads