JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This is why tiny little Mexicans specialize in harvesting wheat. Goodbye bread!

If you looked inside the combines around here, you would probably find them operated by someone of hispanic origin. A LOT of the ag work here is done by hispanics, some of the land is owned by them too. When I had a job I would drive thru the farm land I grew up on and I see farm workers out there year round; working the soil, planting the crops, pruning and spraying the filberts, all that stuff.

More and more crops are harvested with machinery, but there are still a lot of crops that are harvested by hand, or sorted/etc. by hand. Then there are all the people who work in canneries. If the lockdown continues, expect to see this production impacted.

I am not saying that people should panic. They should just be aware that there is an issue and prepare as necessary.

Up until now, we have been saying that people were panic buying unnecessarily because the supply lines were not really impacted (except possibly for the transport of supplies, and even that continues, except for the problems caused by panic buying).

But if the harvest/processing is impacted, then downstream problems may ensue. As before, it may be prudent to grab an extra can/package of shelf-stable food that you normally would purchase for consumption/storage. Up to you.

Gardening isn't hard, people just want to grow grass instead of food, if you can grow and tend to a lawn you can plant a have a successful garden. Commercial farms will survive and thrive during this time, family farms may have a harder time but should also survive. My in-laws have a pretty sizeable spread outside of Yamhill and they have been productive. We have been keeping chickens and growing gardens since I was a boy and my wife and I still do today, not out of any sense of preparations but because the backyard eggs are better as is the produce we grow. We also keep rabbits so we always have a homegrown meat option.

People who have not worked in agriculture may not understand, but for brief periods the work is non-stop and shoulder to shoulder.

If the migrants are not moving north thru CA now, they won't be in OR / WA in a couple of weeks when the first crops would start to be picked.

The Strawberry farm loses the crop this year, are we going to forgive the Property Tax? Will there be someone to run the place next year?

We want need to have those commercial farms up and running.

Some row crops using manual labor can practice social distancing, others cannot because they have a machine near them.

Lettuce:

maxresdefault.jpg
Cabbage:
Picking-Cabbage.jpg
maxresdefault.jpg
Cucumbers:
7.jpg
Canneries:

1586196985346.jpeg

FFS.... all of you "old women" reading this thread need to RELAX, and just do what needs doin'. :rolleyes:
This old woman doesn't appreciate "old women" being used as a term of contempt. STOMP! STOMP! STOMP!

(Hey...that's a lotta fun.)

Lol. Looks like work for all the out of work waiters and baristas.

Remember "learn to code"?

Learn to pick!

When I was young and had a wife (now ex) and toddler to support, I worked in canneries, picked cherries, shoveled s*** in the mushroom factory in Salem, worked as a choker setter, tree sorter, drove a bush bean harvester, delivered furniture, microfilmed voting records for the state, and a lot of other odd jobs.

Any job I could get, I did it to make a buck to my family had shelter and food.

Today, I doubt many people would do that even though they could.

I am probably going to be picky about my next job - location and $ will matter to me. But coding is about all I can do in my current state of health.

Today, I doubt many people would do that even though they could.

I've had several people locally tell me either they or somebody they know has been laid off. My wife's company is hiring now, I've passed that info on ... none have applied for the position. They have not even asked what the positions are to even determine if they're interested.

If there's any room, maybe also consider adding more meat to the freezer?

I've had several people locally tell me either they or somebody they know has been laid off. My wife's company is hiring now, I've passed that info on ... none have applied for the position. They have not even asked what the positions are to even determine if they're interested.

The corp I used to work for just extended their plant shutdown another 2 weeks.

Talked to another recruiter today - the first (of three) that was a bit less sanguine about my prospects.

For my skill set it seems, there are not many orgs hiring right now. For on thing, not going to be any interviews until lockdown lifts, and probably not until the orgs resume normal ops. A number of orgs (such as my previous employer), have hiring freezes in place. Then there is the coming recession.

We'll see, but I am thinking I am not going to find a job this year. If I don't, then I will just stop looking and retire.

Or someone could hire me tomorrow. Stuff happens.

For those who live in PDX, I would encourage you to check Bob's Red Mill near Milwaukie. You can buy a food grade bucket and fill it with rice, black bean soup mix, vegie soup mix, whatever and the cost is not that much for what it can provide in a time of need. Our LDS friends have this dialed, so why not learn from them.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top