JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I focus on stocking my pantry with items that we use regularly so that we can keep it rotated without having to be overly intentional about it, and so that I'm not initially forced to eat something in an emergency that I wouldn't otherwise want to eat. The one exception is my grab-and-go tub which is full of peanut butter and MRE entrees which I've vetted for edibility.

Another, separate article, including some recommendations on items to avoid.

List of foods to buy from the supermarket for your prepper pantry

There are a few items that seem like they'd be shelf-stable, but actually have inferior shelf lives. Try to avoid:
  • Brown sugar. There are conflicting reports on brown sugar. Some authorities, like the LDS Church, caution against storing it, while DoesItGoBad.com says it lasts a long time. In our experience, it won't go bad but it will harden over time. You can use the sugar if you're able to break it up. Brown sugar is an important ingredient in a lot of recipes, so it's good to have some on hand, but we wouldn't fill a bucket with it.
  • Brown rice. While white rice can last for decades, brown rice has an oily layer that limits its shelf life to 6-12 months. It also takes longer to cook, which means more fuel used.
  • Whole wheat flour. Just as with brown rice, whole wheat flour does not last as long as white flour due to its higher fat content. If you prefer whole wheat flour, look into milling your own wheat berries since the berries will last much longer than the flour.
  • Beef jerky. Besides being expensive, it usually only lasts a year or two.
  • Granola. Granola is a great hiking food, but it only lasts about six months.
  • Nuts. Packed with nutrition and reasonably shelf stable, but be aware their high fat content limits their shelf life.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top