JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
They are mason bees (blue orchard bees). No honey, but great pollinators. You can get some tubes sealed with eggs before spring and make a house. Very simple way is to drill 1/2 holes in a 4x4 (not pressure treated). You can line them with tubes if you want, or just let them use the wood.
https://www.parentmap.com/article/keeping-mason-bees-10-expert-tips-for-families
For tomatoes, I planted Early Girls and Beef stake. Added an Old German tomato plant today along with two varieties of sweet peppers and some walla walla sweet onions.

Learned an important lesson about mint in my herb garden. Mint spreads prolifically.:p Should have planted it in a container in the ground to contain it.

Very nice

And yes about the mint! I made the same mistake with some chocolate mint that I got from my exs families house. It's slowly spreading.....

Any idea what this thing is? image.jpg

We tried some straw bale gardening this year, seems to be working well. In the bales we have potat0es
cabbages leaf lettuce peas. turnips, radish. seem to be a lot of the radish bolting. potatoes are going great. I like the idea of just cutting the strings and opening the bales to harvest the spuds.

In the ground we have onions, tomatoes,(4 diff.) beets, green beans, cucumbers, squash 2 diff. head lettuce
and more peas.

I'm in my third year of gardening. This year I'm doing lettuce, carrots, cucumbers, tomatoes, melon, corn, and beans. I don't think my beans will be successful this year. Lettuce is coming up nicely, and carrots are showing promise. I've got one raised bed and tried straw bale gardening for the beans. Next year, I'll add another raised bed, and will probably get rid of the straw bales.

I'd like to plant bamboo. My wife is Japanese, and one thing I particularly miss from my four years of living there are the gardens. One thing that has held me back from doing it is the invasive nature.

I'm in my third year of gardening. This year I'm doing lettuce, carrots, cucumbers, tomatoes, melon, corn, and beans. I don't think my beans will be successful this year. Lettuce is coming up nicely, and carrots are showing promise. I've got one raised bed and tried straw bale gardening for the beans. Next year, I'll add another raised bed, and will probably get rid of the straw bales.

I'd like to plant bamboo. My wife is Japanese, and one thing I particularly miss from my four years of living there are the gardens. One thing that has held me back from doing it is the invasive nature.

A member here had a good idea to plant bamboo in large containers. Get bamboo and don't get the invasive nature of it. I thought it was clever. My beans haven't been doing all that great either (slow start I presume?). Tomatoes, zucchini, lettuce, and peas are going crazy though.

Stomper- I figured you had but hard to tell sarcasm sometimes over the internet. Never did a goat in but I would like to get some along with some rabbits whenever it is I get more land to reside upon. Right now I'm good with dog, kid, and birds :cool:

I like the idea of containers, IF I can make it look natural. That may require some creative thinking. Due to the vegetable garden, there isn't much room in my backyard to accomodate a Japanese garden, and I'm thinking if doing something near my front entrance way, where I already have a couple of nice Japanese maples.

2 kinds of apple tree's
Asian pear, Cherry, Persimmon and fig trees
potatoes,...German butterball & french fingerlings
A dozen or so blueberry plants
Strawberries
Raspberries
12 Tomato plants this year Roma and san marzano
Herbs, Rosemary, sage, lemon balm, mint, wormwood, licorice root, hops ...
and more but that's all I can think of right now

6 Rhode island reds great egg layers!

Neat thread!

Firs, Fuel, Food, Forage, Flowers, Fruits, & Ferns

Our main crop is 2K+ Douglas Fir trees (seedlings to monsters).
We heat our home exclusively with woodfuel.
We forrage; recently discovered Horse Tail, making tea.
@ 20 fruit & nut trees; apple, pear, plum, cherry, persimonds, fig, pomegranite, almond, walnut, hazlenut, & fig.
Have lavender, mint, and oregano all over the place.
Peppers, sage, rosemary, maders, beans, cumbers, onions, garlic, basil, parsley, & lettuce.
Huckle, blue, straw, and black berries.
Tons of Iris and other wildflowers, favorite is the Columbine.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top