JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Before someone moves this post, let it just percolate here for a few days please... this is the crowd that is most likely interested. Removing the State Governor's primary offensive weapons system(s), what is next? Air National Guard?

# # # # #

Washington Post

The National Guard is following a direct order — but it's not happy with it.

All of the Guard's AH-64 Apache helicopters are scheduled to go to the active Army, and there's nothing its top brass can do about it.

SEE ALSO: Killing terrorists in hi-def: Apache helicopter technology goes through final tests

"None of us like what we're having to do," National Guard Chief Gen. Frank Grass told members of the Senate Armed Services Committee on Tuesday, the military website Defense One reported. "My big concern right now is figuring out how I'm going to move, and how many states I'm going to have an impact on, and what's the cost of facilities and to retrain pilots. I've got to tackle that because the decision's been made."

Air Force Maj. Shannon Thomas, a spokeswoman for the Guard, reiterated the general's position, the Army Times reported.

"These are very difficult decisions and there will be more difficult ones yet to come," she said. "His focus now is to determine the impacts and how best to implement the decision."

Army Chief of Staff Gen. Ray Odierno told members of Congress on Tuesday that the move will save $12 billion through fiscal year 2017, Defense One reported.

When the logistics are worked out, the Army's fleet of OH-58 Kiowa helicopters will be divested, its newly acquired Apaches will fill its reconnaissance and scouting needs, and the National Guard will be given UH-60 Black Hawks.

Advocates of the Army's decision say that the Black Hawks actually benefit the Guard because they are an incredible asset for disaster relief efforts.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world...5f8a80-b84b-11e3-9a05-c739f29ccb08_story.html

"... it is transferring the Guard's 192 Apaches to the active Army ... Slightly more than 100 modern Black Hawks will be transferred from active Army components to the Guard."

When I was serving, the CG gave up <broken link removed> which were replaced by the
<broken link removed> . (not all)

That has worked out ok.

main-6.jpg

US_Coast_Guard_helicopter_rescue_demonstration.jpg

...who cares if everything you say is listened to by the Government, I mean you have nothing to hide/feas, right? Why would the state NG and Governor need a way to protect you and your family? Right?

So far so good on protecting my family without even the help of the police. I'm more concerned with a governor (Kitzhaber) having access to attack choppers given the steady current decline in "trustability" of the standing government as a whole than I am about being invaded by Canada to our north, Mexico to our south or the Asian threat to the west.

Given that one hell of a big joint use base is just to north and the fact that there sits several attack jet aircraft here in Oregon, and that attack helicopters can do very little to ward off an aerial attack, yes I believe that given their role when not in a combat zone they would and will be better served with the blackhawk,, and so would the population of Oregon. That is of course unless someone believes that this state will be a combat zone sometime in the near future.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top