JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You expect me to feel sorry for "convicted" felons and the loss of their rights. Maybe, just maybe those felons should have thought of the consequences of their actions first. Life is a one way trip from cradle to grave and whether it is fair or not ones actions follow them through that journey as they should.

Unless you're a cop it seems, your actions will have no consequences, the taxpayers foot the bill.

Don't commit the felony in the first place and its all mute.
Laws are hardly something to abide by blindly. You insinuate they are to be followed no matter what at any point in time.... that happens to be the present. Well brainy smurf the past was at one time the present and those laws that people followed in the past, are now presently looked at as being some of the worst things people have ever done.

I know some great guys who are convicted felons. One owns Northwest Territorial mint in Federal Way. They have to do hundreds of millions of bucks worth of business a year. By all accounts he seems like a great guy. He failed to report to the IRS some gold and silver he sold a guy for cash. Felony conviction.

Do you think a guy like that is a danger to society ? Do you think we are safer because his rights have been stripped?

Most people are not convicted felons, a person is not to my understanding a felon till they are convicted in the laws eye. I don't know the man that sold the gold but ultimately he made the mistake, it was his business and there fore he was responsible for his own actions. It happens but rarely does the drunk driver get caught the first time they drive drunk. I question if this man had done this before, either way it was his responsibility to know his business. I wonder if he thought "maybe I can sell this under the table and pocket the change my self" No one made him commit the crime - it is about time people take ownership for their own actions instead of making excuses. You do know after a period of time many minor felonies can be expunged right?

I understand and agree, He broke the law, I am sure he knew he was breaking the law. My point is is this person a threat? Do they deserve to lose the right of self protection because he did not want to pay his taxes (which is nothing more than state extortion)

If you read the posts I made earlier they are specifically about getting rights reinstated, so yes I am aware. I just personally dont think simply being a "felon" should restrict your ownership. I think persons who commit violent crimes, crimes against society (such as grand theft) should not have firearms. However I am perfectly ok with a person who did not pay his taxes being "allowed" to keep their firearms rights

Last Edited:
Laws are hardly something to abide by blindly. You insinuate they are to be followed no matter what at any point in time.... that happens to be the present. Well brainy smurf the past was at one time the present and those laws that people followed in the past, are now presently looked at as being some of the worst things people have ever done.
why have any laws at all then by your position do what ever you want but dont complain when they do it to you after all its what you wsnted.

[QUOTE="JRuby, post: 1187258, member: 33579" have any laws at all then by your position do what ever you want but dont complain when they do it to you after all its what you wsnted.[/QUOTE]

People do whatever they want now with laws, what fantasy are you living in? Paper & words will forever fail at stopping human behavior. Police show up after the fact and in many cases will act only as the arm of enforcement for a tyrannical law (I594 etc.)

You can claim that laws are important for punishment but are you really going to argue that its effective 'punishment'.

You state all of the same talking points that every blind statist 'states'. It's amazing to think that you actually believe a law has the potential to sway the actions of people, through pen & paper.

*Newsflash* people have always done and will always do, "whatever they want". Just as you want to believe that some law has changed that. I won't ever complain about what you or anyone else believes. Make all the laws you like. Outlaw breathing, for all I care. I may not always obey the law but when I do, I break them ;)

I now have a much better idea why you are so concerned about the restoration of felons rights. And by the way why do you think so many people pay taxes its because if you dont there are fines and penalties for breaking laws so yes laws do to a certain extant control individuals / societies behavior.

We are a nation of laws, We need law. I am a far leaning libertarian but I still dont want anarchy. There are currently over 10,000 federal laws on the books. My belief is there should probably be no more than a few hundred. The state should have the ability to rule as the voting public sees fit, but the Federal government should have very, very limited power.

JRUBY: Tomorrow, congress passes a law making it a felony not to register your guns. Hundreds of thousands do not comply. Many are arrested and convicted and forever have their rights taken away.

Your position is that they SHOULD be prosecuted and convicted, regardless of the ridiculousness of the statute, and that anyone saying they should not be stripped of their rights is wrong to do so.

That's the kind of attitude that begets atrocity. It's exactly the same kind of "just following orders," mentality we prosecuted at Nuremberg and Tokyo.

JRUBY: Tomorrow, congress passes a law making it a felony not to register your guns. Hundreds of thousands do not comply. Many are arrested and convicted and forever have their rights taken away.

Your position is that they SHOULD be prosecuted and convicted, regardless of the ridiculousness of the statute, and that anyone saying they should not be stripped of their rights is wrong to do so.

That's the kind of attitude that begets atrocity. It's exactly the same kind of "just following orders," mentality we prosecuted at Nuremberg and Tokyo.
With your reasoning why follow any laws - following laws only prevents people from doing what they want. Do what you think is best is good enough - heck some one steals a vehicle , hurts mains or kills a family member or friend - robs me at gun point, steals my grand mothers purse and knocks her down - its all ok because you don't need to follow any stinking laws, they are just hindrances to doing what you really want to do and there should be no punishment for doing criminal activities. Sorry that is BS and I don't buy into it. I wont ever.
In honesty there has to be a middle ground where criminals are held accountable for their actions.

People like to throw around the "Keep guns out of Felons hands" mantra, but you do not have to have a been convicted of a felony or domestic violence charge (Does not apply to abusive LEOs) to have your Rights denied. You can and will be denied if you plead guilty to anything which might have led to a sentence of a year or more behind bars; even if the actual sentence is just to pay a fine. If the charge might have led to as much as a year then NICS can legally deny you. I know some one who was infringed for a 22 year old traffic violation in another state.

Heck, even being named in a lawsuit can delay your background check, which happened to a well know members sister here in Oregon.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top