JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Years after his military service, this mentally disabled soldier is still getting the "green weenie" in a very public way. The ol' "three legged-stool" of Means, Motive, and Opportunity is dang near lacking two legs in this case, and the third leg seems way too short - no gun and nothing but a few bullets - yet the federal injustice system is keeping the veteran in pre-trial confinement without treatment that he so badly needs. Even the judge and prosecutor are frustrated. I have no personal connection to that situation, and it's all happening thousands of miles from me, but reading the story left me weak and teary. I should be tougher than that, I think.

I came through twenty five years of active military duty, maybe not so good as when I enlisted, but still OK; well, probably no more a mental case than most of us here. And I do know a bit about "mental" because my wife and I partnered with the VA for thirteen years to care for - and keep safe - our youngest son who definitely was not "OK" after 52 months of active duty with the navy. We grew tough through that experience. In spite of best efforts by all concerned, including our son, he eventually joined the ranks of this nation's "daily 22". Losing him devastated us, but the past seven years have let us grow some emotional scar tissue. Mine is apparently pretty thin, though, as I discovered while reading that high profile story about how incapable our nation is to care for one tragically broken soldier.

Years after his military service, this mentally disabled soldier is still getting the "green weenie" in a very public way. The ol' "three legged-stool" of Means, Motive, and Opportunity is dang near lacking two legs in this case, and the third leg seems way too short - no gun and nothing but a few bullets - yet the federal injustice system is keeping the veteran in pre-trial confinement without treatment that he so badly needs. Even the judge and prosecutor are frustrated. I have no personal connection to that situation, and it's all happening thousands of miles from me, but reading the story left me weak and teary. I should be tougher than that, I think.

I came through twenty five years of active military duty, maybe not so good as when I enlisted, but still OK; well, probably no more a mental case than most of us here. And I do know a bit about "mental" because my wife and I partnered with the VA for thirteen years to care for - and keep safe - our youngest son who definitely was not "OK" after 52 months of active duty with the navy. We grew tough through that experience. In spite of best efforts by all concerned, including our son, he eventually joined the ranks of this nation's "daily 22". Losing him devastated us, but the past seven years have let us grow some emotional scar tissue. Mine is apparently pretty thin, though, as I discovered while reading that high profile story about how incapable our nation is to care for one tragically broken soldier.
Politicians/higher command and the nation don't care about the sacrifices military members make. Once you're out or have nothing left to give you are no longer of use and a tossed to the side. We are just a number. It's on veterans to come together and watch out for each other. Cause we are all each other have at certain points in time.

I'm sorry to hear about your son. I've been down that road and have seen first hand the devastation that it brings to a family and friends. Both while on active duty and after EAS. We have to check up on one another.

I believe our nations soldiers should be taken care of for the rest of their existence with no wants our needs period I am very proud and greatful for their service thank you all for the freedoms I do have

I have seen that a lot in jail. The jail can force them to take their meds, but once they are not psychotic the hospitals won't take them. So they just end up sitting in jail. They get no treatment other than their meds. DR

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top