JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello all -

Rick here from Cody, Wyoming.

Was looking for some reasonable priced brass and ran accross this site.
Looks very interesting and I'll add it to my 'daily check list'.

I mostly shoot smoke poles and BPCR - but bought an 'election day' rifle - RRA AR and I'm getting set up to lay waste to the rocks around here.

Anyway, thanks for the welcome...

Rick

Opawy

I'm not for sure - it always seems to be around Fathers Day - and I'm up in Montana at the Quigley shoot so I miss it.

A link to last years flyer is: <broken link removed>

I'd check it or send a note to the link on that page...

So what do you do in Dubois?? Great town - I love to spend time down there.

Later,
Rick

Finally someone who "talks" BPCRs!!! Yee Ha.

I've seriously thought about attending Quigley but too many people for me...and after one person had an ND behind the firing line in '08 that sealed the deal for me.

OFADAN,

It is a big shoot - more of a rendezvous than a big real rifle match.

Last year there were about 610 shooters &#8211; My daughter and I normally attend together and she has always out shot me. Last year I talked my dad into going and we had a good time. You can mix it up with the crowds or find an open spot to wait for your turn. The Cody, Wyoming high school A/V class did a nice video DVD on the shoot this year; if you are interested in a copy &#8211; PM me. I have also written a few &#8216;reports' for Steve Garbe's Black Powder Cartridge News if you want.

That guy behind the line in &#8216;08 was a piece of work. From what I heard he was forcing a round that was too long into the chamber &#8211; trying to &#8216;show' someone it could be done. He was promptly told to get off the property and not to return. It is as safe a shoot as I have been to. You can find stupid people everywhere.

My 23 year old daughter shoots her 38-55 Ballard with straight black and a 330 gr lead bullet for the "Q". In &#8216;08 she was 4th in the women's class (really third &#8211; but that is another story). Most folks don't think the .38 will get out to 800 yards on the buffalo &#8211; but she hits it just fine. That year she hit 6 of 8 on the 355 yard off-hand target with iron sights, a 9 pound rifle and she was pregnant! Her final score was 30 out of the 48 (can't tell I'm proud of her can you???)

I normally shoot a 40-90 Ballard (Everlasting) or share her rifle at Quigley. We both hunt with the old guns as well. I took my first bull elk this year with a 45-70 rolling block with a lead bullet. Her cow elk was with a 40-50SS &#8211; with one shot (it was a close-in shot).

I do shoot smokeless in my guns, but always try to keep the pressures around BP levels or just a bit higher and always soft lead bullets. I have found that Accurate Arms 2495 powder works great for that purpose. I also have a Ballard in 40-50 and a low wall in 32-40. My &#8216;baby' is a Shiloh Sharps in 50-90. That gal eats BP like none other. My light bullet is 450 grain and the heavy one is 675 grains. I've killed one elk with it.

Anyway - the other guys are probably getting bored with this thread. We should start another if you are interested in chatting more! If you get out this way we have a lot of shoots - most every weekend someone is burning charcoal.

Have a good one &#8211;

Rick Patton
Cody

Daughters Cow
ArielCow2009email.jpg

At the "Q"
100_0106.jpg

Another "Q"
ELSmall.jpg

The waiting-to-shoot area (behind the line) at Quigley
QSmall.jpg

Welcome to the forum! Thanks for adding the pics, I am not even sure I could see the targets she is shooting at! It sure sounds like fun. oh great. I think I might just have to get another rifle now.... :)

Opawy

I'm not for sure - it always seems to be around Fathers Day - and I'm up in Montana at the Quigley shoot so I miss it.

A link to last years flyer is: <broken link removed>

I'd check it or send a note to the link on that page...

So what do you do in Dubois?? Great town - I love to spend time down there.

Later,
Rick

I'm a nurse, an old nurse, about ready to retire. Have a good'un.;)

JMH119,
Be careful - Black powder is pretty addictive!

I have sure enjoyed shooting BPCR &#8211; probably more than any other shooting &#8211; but it is all good. I hunt with these old guns and it is very satisfying to 1) cast your own bullets, 2) develop a load yourself 3) hunt within a 100 to 200 yards and 4) see the great terminal performance of just pure lead and then 5) get to savor the best table fare in the world. Mostly done by your own hand.

Buying 300 super-big-bang bullets from wally-world and shooting game over the horizon just isn't for me. But I understand that each to-their-own and I don't disparage any sort of shooting. Now &#8211; shooting &#8216;zombies' and other current enemies of the state with large caliber guns from long distances &#8211; I have all the respect in the world for our special troopers.

It is interesting and I know that it takes all types to make the world turn &#8211; but my kids are far from the normal stereotype; my son loves to shoot &#8211; mostly guns with large capacity magazines &#8211; very quickly. He has no interest in &#8216;the hunt'.

My daughter on the other hand prefers single shots and hunting with them. And she is not the sort of girl that shoots game and &#8216;the rest is up to dad'. She gets the knife out and I better get out of the way. She helps me field dress and package our game meat as well as prefers it over beef on the table.

OPAWY,
Well if you get up this way &#8211; drop me a note and I'll get you into the museum (I'm a corporate member and can walk &#8216;family and clients' in to show them around).

There are several other must-see-for-old-gun stops in town too. Once Ballard Rifle left, most of the guys found other work in the business. Steve Garbe and Keith Kilby opened up the Wyoming Armory &#8211; a gun shop and repair facility for older and special modern guns. The show room and shop are like a museum where you can pick up the guns. Dave Casey has the Rocky Mountain Cartridge Company where he lathe turns obsolete caliber brass on CNC equipment. Earl Hines still does the high end checkering on the old guns from home. &#8211; Cody is sort of the Mecca for old guns for sure. Do you get the magazine from SPG (Black Powder Cartridge News)? Also if you shoot Schuetzen &#8211; we have the Wyoming Schuetzen Union at www.wyomingschuetzen.com . it is a relatively small group that focuses on 200 yard offhand shooting with BP and light smokeless loads with plain-base lead bullets. There is some bench work but the traditional style was off hand with pre-1880 rifles.

Then another link I frequent for BPCR is www.BPCR.net &#8211; run by Rick Shay of Colorado; another great site. The most active one though is probably the Shiloh Rifle forum at www.shilohrifle.com/forums/

BTW &#8211; your mayor in Dubois is somewhat a BP shooter (Mark Harrison) &#8211; I've chatted with him many times about the rifles! Also, drop into the bar on main and take a look at that old Ballard Pacific in behind the bar...

You probably have all of these contacts &#8211; but just in case....

All - Have a great day!
Rick

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews