JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was planning on get the HK 30 or 30L but have had a hard time finding a used one. I recently looked at the FNP in 9mm and found they are very similar in looks.

What is the opinion on the quality of FNP vs the HK?

Thanks
Tlakidd.

Comparing my HK P30 vs FNP45. The FN has a better trigger, the P30 stock trigger is horrid. The FN uses a lot of MIM parts, the HK materials and fit is top notch. The FN grip feels kinda funky to me (plastic ridges) vs a sandpaper feel on the HK (which is great).

Can't tell you which is more accurate because I never shoot groups with pistols.

Comparing my HK P30 vs FNP45. The FN has a better trigger, the P30 stock trigger is horrid. The FN uses a lot of MIM parts, the HK materials and fit is top notch. The FN grip feels kinda funky to me (plastic ridges) vs a sandpaper feel on the HK (which is great).

Can't tell you which is more accurate because I never shoot groups with pistols.

Agree on the FNP grip. I put a Hogue sleeve on both of my FNP-45's as well as my Five Seven and it made a remarkable difference (for me) in terms of comfort and feel. Couldn't stand the stock checkered grip.

the HK p30 is far and away my favorite 9mm the trigger is much better than the old usp's it's not a 1911 match trigger but it's pretty good.

the fnp9 that I had had problems with feeding I sent it off to their repair shop and it came back much better but not 100% the early fnp had a mag follower problem that was kind of fixed on the later fnps and I guess finally fixed on the newer FNX guns ( you will notice that the mags don't interchange).

I doubt that you'll find too many used p30's because I haven't met anyone who has sold theirs. I would be sure that if you get a used FNP-9 that you get one that has the update mag follower (find the specifics on the FNH forum) or you buy it from someone that you trust.

^

I like the HK trigger now, after grayguns did their magic. I have the V3 trigger BTW (conventional SA/DA). Before the trigger work the SA was quite heavy at around 6lbs (when compared to the FNP around 4.5-5lbs) and needed a trigger stop. The DA is practically unusable at 12+ lbs. Plus it had a very long reset.

What is the opinion on the quality of FNP vs the HK?

If you are just asking about quality: The FNP is a quality pistol that will do everything the HK will do. Having said that the HK is better. It is unlikely you will ever have a problem with the FNP. I suspect it is an order of magnitude less likely with the HK. At least that is my opinion.

FWIW I currently have FNP, FN, and HK pistols and think that they are all good guns.

:s0112:
If you are just asking about quality: The FNP is a quality pistol that will do everything the HK will do. Having said that the HK is better. It is unlikely you will ever have a problem with the FNP. I suspect it is an order of magnitude less likely with the HK. At least that is my opinion.

FWIW I currently have FNP, FN, and HK pistols and think that they are all good guns.

This post made me laugh.

It's better! Trust me!

This post made me laugh.

It's better! Trust me!

This post kinda makes me laugh,since you don't really say which one is "better"
BTW a FNP is made by FN

I have had a couple USPs in the past.No p30's though. If the p30 is typical of a H&K quality then the H&K is better than the FN FNPs.

FNP is a fine gun though,my daily carry.

This post kinda makes me laugh,since you don't really say which one is "better"
BTW a FNP is made by FN

I have had a couple USPs in the past.No p30's though. If the p30 is typical of a H&K quality then the H&K is better than the FN FNPs.

FNP is a fine gun though,my daily carry.

I wasn't trying to say which was better....I forgot my quotation marks...:p

Kinda like " I read it on the internet, so it must be true. "

( ...HK owner....but I won't pretend to know which is "best" )

I wasn't trying to say which was better....I forgot my quotation marks...:p

Kinda like " I read it on the internet, so it must be true. "

( ...HK owner....but I won't pretend to know which is "best" )

I wasn't going to respond to this, but maybe I should clarify:

I was speaking to the quality: HK is better quality - as defined by the two sentences following that statement in the post. i.e. lower defect rate. That is of course my opinion, which I stated was only opinion in the sentence after that.

I don't have the geometric proof of this fact, that is why I used words like 'suspect' when making statments of my opinion.

My opinion is based on the fact that I personally own guns from both MFG's and am a member of the HK and FN forums as well.

That doesn't make me right, but it does give me at least an informed opinion, which I think the OP was soliciting.

Glad you got a laugh.

The FNP USG I own is a fine pistol, accuracy is acceptable. Trigger pull is fine. I don't have sissy soft hands so the grip feels just fine with the straight backstrap. Being completely ambidextrous is a plus, I practice "weak hand" at times. Of all the pistols I have owned (out of about 40)I would put it in the top 5.

I wasn't going to respond to this, but maybe I should clarify:

I was speaking to the quality: HK is better quality - as defined by the two sentences following that statement in the post. i.e. lower defect rate. That is of course my opinion, which I stated was only opinion in the sentence after that.

I don't have the geometric proof of this fact, that is why I used words like 'suspect' when making statments of my opinion.

My opinion is based on the fact that I personally own guns from both MFG's and am a member of the HK and FN forums as well.

That doesn't make me right, but it does give me at least an informed opinion, which I think the OP was soliciting.

Glad you got a laugh.

Read your post again......there are no qualifiers as to why "HK is better".

Not really trying to start a pissing match, but stand back and look at what you posted and pretend you've never heard of either gun.

Is the HK better? Could be. It has been out on the market longer and has a very good track record, yet I've seen little to say the FN has had any issues. Time will tell.

It's personal preference. Both propel lead downrange. Go with what feels best to you. I have both HK and FN pistols, and I like both for different reasons. I've had zero issues with either one. My opinion only.

I don't know which one will kill a burgler or an assailant more dead; I suspect both would fare even. I don't know which one makes a better boomerang; I've never thrown either one of them. Neither one can sing, but both have shorter snouts than Barbara Streisand. Both sound better than her when discharging projectiles. I don't think either one is more likely to get you laid at home; I don't know your domestic partner/spouse, so I don't know what she's into. If she's into gunplay, both have their upsides I suppose. If you're planning on using it to pistol whip someone who owes you money, I would suggest whichever feels heavier to you. I've never held a P30 so can't speak to that.

That also is just my opinion.

Use the H&K for the pistol whipping as the FNP is nice and light. (and to keep up with the 'splanin' myself' part)
Now I have never been pistol whipped so I am not an expert,but I would suspect that a heavier pistol would hurt more than a lighter one.
Given the strength of the whipper and the velocity he/she can swing said pistols

I have both the FNH FNP-9 USG (safety/decocker) and HK P30, both in DA/SA 9MM. They're both well made but to your question of quality, in my opinion the Germans beat the Belgians but you pay for it.

The FNH grip ergonomics are not as good - two different backstraps - one is not comfortable, the other one is okay but not spectacular. The HK gives three different backstraps and different width sideplates so you can make your own combination for a better fit.

I prefer the FNP-9 standard decocker position on the side of the frame vs the P30's on the back of the slide. I like both the conventional mag release of the FNH and the trigger guard mag release levers of the HK and adjust easily between the two.

If you're a fit and finish guy, both are well done but the FNP-9 in the various caliber offerings have a tendency to have small pieces get scraped off of the bottom of the left side of the slide where the takedown lever is. I'm more for function over fit and finish for SD purposes and for the low price these sell for, I don't worry about it.

That said, the P30 costs a bunch more than the FNP-9 and are harder to find on the used market. The cheapest I've seen it go for new is $812 + shipping + transfer + sales tax in WA.

Both of these have been totally reliable and are easy to shoot well.

I have both the FNH FNP-9 USG (safety/decocker) and HK P30, both in DA/SA 9MM. They're both well made but to your question of quality, in my opinion the Germans beat the Belgians but you pay for it.

The FNH grip ergonomics are not as good - two different backstraps - one is not comfortable, the other one is okay but not spectacular. The HK gives three different backstraps and different width sideplates so you can make your own combination for a better fit.

I prefer the FNP-9 standard decocker position on the side of the frame vs the P30's on the back of the slide. I like both the conventional mag release of the FNH and the trigger guard mag release levers of the HK and adjust easily between the two.

If you're a fit and finish guy, both are well done but the FNP-9 in the various caliber offerings have a tendency to have small pieces get scraped off of the bottom of the left side of the slide where the takedown lever is. I'm more for function over fit and finish for SD purposes and for the low price these sell for, I don't worry about it.

That said, the P30 costs a bunch more than the FNP-9 and are harder to find on the used market. The cheapest I've seen it go for new is $812 + shipping + transfer + sales tax in WA.

Both of these have been totally reliable and are easy to shoot well.

Very nice response.

SpringfieldHK45s004.jpg

SpringfieldHK45s005.jpg

While I can't speak for the FN, I did purchase this H&K USP 9 a little over a year ago. While the pistol is "OK", it most definitely isn't anything to get excited about. To be perfectly honest it doesn't do anything a Glock can't do for almost half the price. Ergonomically I find the Glock far better. The magazine release on the H&K can easily pinch your fingers, and is not easy to get at for fast reloads without far more finger manipulation. The magazines are not as well made as the metal lined, drop free Glock factory magazines. And much like the gun itself, are terribly overpriced. Another bad feature is their accessory rail is proprietary, and not universal like Glock and all the rest. So you are forced to buy an adapter. I'm told H&K has since gone to a universal Picatinny type rail on their guns.

On the plus side the trigger guard is nice and large, and will easily accommodate gloved fingers in cold climates. And the gun runs well, and has very good sight acquisition. But again so does a Glock, and several other pistols in this class. I will admit I bought into the H&K hype when I purchased this weapon. I have never owned a H&K before this, and most likely won't buy another. Not because of anything they lack, but rather because of the value they don't represent. There are simply a large number of pistols in the same class avaliable for far less money.

Another thing is H&K has a reputation of being a bit full of themselves. A lot of this is because the bulk of their sales come from military contracts, and not civilian sales. So they have somewhat of a "buyer be damned" attitude toward us lowly consumers. A bit like Ferrari in that regard, in that they almost act as if they're doing you favor selling you one. Add it all up and you can get pretty much the same quality wise in a Polymer framed weapon for a lot less, and be just as happy. And you'll be buying it from a company that actually appreciates your business far more than the elf's in the Black Forest.

The HK USP series is a different design than the P30. I have a few HKs in my collection and I don't even like the ergonomics of the USP series - it doesn't fit in my hand very well with its blocky grip and it has a proprietary rail. The P30 did away with that and has customizable grips and a true M1913 rail. Notice that Glock came out with their Gen4, to address the needs of people who didn't like the one-size-has-to-fit-all grip. Although the Glock is a great design and well made, the grip angle is not for everyone, including me, which is why there are other brands and models to choose from.

While I can't speak for the FN, I did purchase this H&K USP 9 a little over a year ago. While the pistol is "OK", it most definitely isn't anything to get excited about. To be perfectly honest it doesn't do anything a Glock can't do for almost half the price. Ergonomically I find the Glock far better. The magazine release on the H&K can easily pinch your fingers, and is not easy to get at for fast reloads without far more finger manipulation. The magazines are not as well made as the metal lined, drop free Glock factory magazines. And much like the gun itself, are terribly overpriced. Another bad feature is their accessory rail is proprietary, and not universal like Glock and all the rest. So you are forced to buy an adapter. I'm told H&K has since gone to a universal Picatinny type rail on their guns.

On the plus side the trigger guard is nice and large, and will easily accommodate gloved fingers in cold climates. And the gun runs well, and has very good sight acquisition. But again so does a Glock, and several other pistols in this class. I will admit I bought into the H&K hype when I purchased this weapon. I have never owned a H&K before this, and most likely won't buy another. Not because of anything they lack, but rather because of the value they don't represent. There are simply a large number of pistols in the same class avaliable for far less money.

Another thing is H&K has a reputation of being a bit full of themselves. A lot of this is because the bulk of their sales come from military contracts, and not civilian sales. So they have somewhat of a "buyer be damned" attitude toward us lowly consumers. A bit like Ferrari in that regard, in that they almost act as if they're doing you favor selling you one. Add it all up and you can get pretty much the same quality wise in a Polymer framed weapon for a lot less, and be just as happy. And you'll be buying it from a company that actually appreciates your business far more than the elf's in the Black Forest.

I can agree with almost all of this, but for ME, Glocks just don't fit my hand, the USP does. I've tried twice to get used to a G21, just ended up frustrated both times. After shooting a friends USP45, I knew I had found a double stack .45 that would work for me, but I couldn't afford it...so I started looking for an FNP45, as they are almost identical in dimensions to the USP. Well, as luck would have it at the time I was shopping no one had a .45 FN in stock and a dealer friend got a great deal on a police trade in USP so I jumped.

So far I have no complaints, I actually carry mine daily and don't find it all that uncomfortable or a pain to hide.

Biggest thing to remember when pistol shopping is find one that is comfortable 1st, then move onto the "which is bestus"...Coke-Pepsi, Ford-Chevy, taste great-less filling.....

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top