JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
HA, I choose nether!
1624161763336.png

The P90/PS90 is not meant to be a weapon that is shot a lot - parts of the rifle wear out quickly compared to an infantry weapon, and need to be replaced - like some areas of the stock. FN used a thinner less durable plastic for the stock than they used for the Five Seven. This is not an issue for me as I (and my family) do not shoot these very much.
My thanks, this is a unique insight and something I've not considered earlier. Both wife and I shoot and we shoot a lot, the pandemic and the recent move to WA cut our shooting a lot but we're looking forward to getting back into it. If the PS90 cannot stand up to high volume shooting I'll have to give it a pass, looks like Tavor it is then.

I've found that if I treat my Tavor X95's trigger more like a pistol than a precision rifle people seem to cream over, it does just fine. I bought it solely for the idea of close house to house range "get the heck out of there" situations so it doesn't need to drill steel at 300. Mine is sighted at 50 and hits 200 just fine. I wanted carbine length ballistics with pistol sizing and it accomplishes my wants perfectly. One thing to mention: You'll take brass right to the chin if you shoot it lefty. Doesn't feel great but I can live with it if it means me living.

If you were willing to get an SBR, the PS90 would be worth quite the look. 50 rounds on tap in a VERY compact package has a lot of appeal but that anteater barrel on the PS90 without a stamp kills the point for me.

It depends on what the intended use is. As a general infantry rifle, the Tavor in 5.56x45 is a superior choice - that what it is designed for - the PS90 is not.

Want a compact PDW to for someone who has physical deficiencies or health problems and needs a lighter defensive weapon with high capacity, low recoil and this outweighs the deficiencies of the 5.7x28 cartridge - then the PS90 is possibly the answer.
I feel that 5.7x28 will see wider adoption in the future and cheaper prices. It's a finicky little round to make so it'll never be dirt cheap, but the special coating is tough to replicate.
My thanks, this is a unique insight and something I've not considered earlier. Both wife and I shoot and we shoot a lot, the pandemic and the recent move to WA cut our shooting a lot but we're looking forward to getting back into it. If the PS90 cannot stand up to high volume shooting I'll have to give it a pass, looks like Tavor it is then.
I would research further as I've never heard of this issue, and it's currently used by the secret service. The commercial version is identical in terms of materials and FN doesn't put out breakable firearms. The polymer feels sturdy without flex and the plastic trigger pack is known to last thousands of rounds. The fact that civilians only get semiauto in a firearm designed for incredibly high rate of fire means you'll likely never wear it out. FN also makes terrific barrels.

As far as the Tavor goes, I've handled and shot an x95. Cool gun, I don't like the clunkiness though and it was quite inaccurate compared to my AUG and more picky with ammo (I almost exclusively fire steel cased .223). As another poster noted, the PS90 and Tavor are completely different rifles with different roles. The PS90 would make a terrific varmint/ranch gun. Easy to pack, light, durable, easy to clean, requires almost no maintenance, and accurate.

I've found that if I treat my Tavor X95's trigger more like a pistol than a precision rifle people seem to cream over, it does just fine. I bought it solely for the idea of close house to house range "get the heck out of there" situations so it doesn't need to drill steel at 300. Mine is sighted at 50 and hits 200 just fine. I wanted carbine length ballistics with pistol sizing and it accomplishes my wants perfectly. One thing to mention: You'll take brass right to the chin if you shoot it lefty. Doesn't feel great but I can live with it if it means me living.

If you were willing to get an SBR, the PS90 would be worth quite the look. 50 rounds on tap in a VERY compact package has a lot of appeal but that anteater barrel on the PS90 without a stamp kills the point for me.
The stock Tavor trigger was heavier than my Glock trigger though, I grew tired of feeling like I was exercising my finger.

I feel that 5.7x28 will see wider adoption in the future and cheaper prices. It's a finicky little round to make so it'll never be dirt cheap, but the special coating is tough to replicate.

I would research further as I've never heard of this issue, and it's currently used by the secret service. The commercial version is identical in terms of materials and FN doesn't put out breakable firearms. The polymer feels sturdy without flex and the plastic trigger pack is known to last thousands of rounds. The fact that civilians only get semiauto in a firearm designed for incredibly high rate of fire means you'll likely never wear it out. FN also makes terrific barrels.

As far as the Tavor goes, I've handled and shot an x95. Cool gun, I don't like the clunkiness though and it was quite inaccurate conpared to my AUG and more picky with ammo.
I've never understood what's so special about that "coating" but the few Kabooms I've seen involved reloads so... it must matter? somehow?

The secret service may as well have an unlimited budget. They could get a whole new gun every time they empty a mag and some bean counter would justify it. You and I can't jut light benjamins on fire like that so it's a different scenario entirely but I get your point and agree with you for the most part.

What did you find clunky about it? The safety, mag release and bolt catch are perfectly fine and i would hardly say mine has accuracy problems though I'll be the first to admit it doesn't run on anything but full power 5.56. Then again, it wasn't designed to....

I've never understood what's so special about that "coating" but the few Kabooms I've seen involved reloads so... it must matter? somehow?

The secret service may as well have an unlimited budget. They could get a whole new gun every time they empty a mag and some bean counter would justify it. You and I can't jut light benjamins on fire like that so it's a different scenario entirely but I get your point and agree with you for the most part.

What did you find clunky about it? The safety, mag release and bolt catch are perfectly fine and i would hardly say mine has accuracy problems though I'll be the first to admit it doesn't run on anything but full power 5.56. Then again, it wasn't designed to....
It's just way more blocky than my AUG and doesn't seem to point as well. I think the Tavor is more practical though and you don't have to wrestle with a permanent VFG. I would love to own an OD Green one but if a firearm won't run garbage steel it won't end up in my safe.

And yeah, that coating makes or breaks the performance of the round due to some magic it seems. Reloading it isn't worth the time. I think a chopped PS90 would be the ultimate fun range toy!

The stock Tavor trigger was heavier than my Glock trigger though, I grew tired of feeling like I was exercising my finger.
Just tested my trigger for funsies. My X95 averaged 6.5, 4 glocks were 5.5, 4.0, 4.5 and 5.2 each with different amounts of wear and trigger parts such as springs and or connectors. So you're absolutely right about that. What I consider one of my more "crisp" AR triggers was right at 7.0, go figure.

Just tested my trigger for funsies. My X95 averaged 6.5, 4 glocks were 5.5, 4.0, 4.5 and 5.2 each with different amounts of wear and trigger parts such as springs and or connectors. So you're absolutely right about that. What I consider one of my more "crisp" AR triggers was right at 7.0, go figure.
Good God!

I run the Larue 2 stage in the AR's so it's 2.5 take up and a 2 pound break. A 7 pound AR trigger sounds Californian.

I put the 3.5lb connectors in my Glocks.

Kind of a cross between the 33 and the 53, little bits of both, and other parts and pieces!
It was a kit build from the flats, and I sourced the good bits to make it run right! All in all, the AR was way cheaper to build with known quality parts, but you cannot beat the HK for compactness and balance! It's the perfect descrete urban carbine and it can reach out there when needed! This one LOVES the Hornady Black Lable 77 grain ammo, made specifically for SBRs! With the factory type diapoter sights, it's almost MOA, plenty good enough for it's intended use! Sitting on the bench above the squeeky dog town, the wife can touch off her .243 and the little buggers scatter, and his thing is pretty quick at picking off the squirters!

As another poster noted, the PS90 and Tavor are completely different rifles with different roles. The PS90 would make a terrific varmint/ranch gun. Easy to pack, light, durable, easy to clean, requires almost no maintenance, and accurate.
I started thinking about and looking at the PS90 when a member of my family complained about the recoil of a 7.62x39 bullpup and a Glock 19. This person has an incurable health condition that cause nerve/muscle issues and other problems - there is nothing that can be done about it, and it will only get worse over time. Myself and the third member of my family I prep for - we both have heart/lung conditions and generally poor health - I for example cannot walk any real distance more than a few hundred yards up a slight hill, without at least running out of breath - the other person is worse (probably due to having been a lifetime smoker who only recently quit a few years ago).

So given all of that, I decided on the PS90/Five Seven as an answer to these issues. The PS90 is a number of pounds lighter, even more so with 200 rounds, than something like a Tavor or AR-15, and has lighter recoil, but is still somewhat effective as a defensive weapon at ranges under 200 yards.

Should the two members of my family group who do not live with me (I live alone) need to hoof it to my home due to a bugout situation, then the PS90/FiveSeven combo is a decent compromise. For me, if I am away from home and have the combo with me in my vehicle, and need to hoof it home for whatever reason (e.g., Cascadian earthquake), the PS90/FiveSeven combo gives me defensive capability at a lighter weight.

Once home to my BOL, while out and about the property doing chores, not seeing or anticipating trouble, but wanting to be prepared just in case, the PS90/FiveSeven combo will be the closest defensive weapons to get us back inside behind cover (concrete walls hopefully) where we can use more effective (but heavier) weapons in a static defense.

Lordy! I just tested my CMMG performance Mil. spec and it was right at 5.5 pounds and super clean! That's about the perfect fighting weight for an AR!

Lordy! I just tested my CMMG performance Mil. spec and it was right at 5.5 pounds and super clean! That's about the perfect fighting weight for an AR!
Yeah, I was a little surprised by the weight but it certainly doesn't feel that heavy. I guess I care more about how clean it is than how heavy? Give me a couple years after I stop turning wrenches and things may change

So you're saying I shouldn't use the stock to drive tent stakes?! Ha. It's not exactly an AK but FN will cover any potential issues. I just checked mine out and it's fine but I haven't really put it through the ringer.
Yes. Like I said, it is not and never was meant to be a general infantry weapon. It is an emergency PDW. It won't fall apart after 500 rounds of standard factory ammo, but if you expect to put 5K rounds thru it in a year, I would invest in a spare stock and maybe a few other parts? If you can shoot 5K rounds, you can afford a spare stock.

Me, I don't expect to ever shoot it that much - I only have about 11K rounds and that has to be divided between the three of us, and most of that is for SHTF - with less than half being practice ball ammo.

I had a PS90, only complaint was the trigger. Someone developed a modification that did help but not enough for me.

As far as 5.7x28 goes, I liked the round so I ended up with a 10" AR57 upper on an AR15 SBR'd lower, not a 'pup but very compact.

Tried the first gen Tavor, mine was surprisingly inaccurate so it went away.

Ended up with a Steyr Aug which I still have and will never sell, runs real good and shoots just fine.