JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
No offense, but 1 we have a mil-surp gun that 2 checks out under the max headspace.

I hear your concerns, but the OP asked about his gun. And while you answer is a good one, mine is correct as well.

Yes headspace is a critical factor, but so far from what he has stated the rifle is within the specs for a mil-surp gun. Would it be nicer if it was tighter? sure, but that isn't what he asked.

I will add that this barrel type was, I believe made in Germany and is often capable of excellent, sub 1 MOA accuracy if put together properly

OK here's the deal:

.308 GO goes
.308 NO-GO goes
.308 FIELD doesn't go
7.62 NO-GO doesn't go

Conclusion:

Probably a 7.62 NATO and I will use that ammo in this rifle. But I can probably feel safe with .308 factory loads too ... comments?

No offense, but 1 we have a mil-surp gun that 2 checks out under the max headspace.

I hear your concerns, but the OP asked about his gun. And while you answer is a good one, mine is correct as well.

Yes headspace is a critical factor, but so far from what he has stated the rifle is within the specs for a mil-surp gun. Would it be nicer if it was tighter? sure, but that isn't what he asked.

Yeah, no offense taken. But I don't consider a gun that blows headspace to be safe (might be the fact that I'm a gunsmith). And if a gun closes on a NO-GO gauge, ITS BLOWING HEADSPACE! But we don't know.

If it's a .308, it needs repair. But again, we don't know yet. We don't really know what its chambered in. Which is why I suggested he at least wait until his 7.62x51mm gauges come in and better yet have the chamber cast so he knows for sure what the caliber is.

Gunsmiths do not have the luxury of probably. If a gun closes on a no-go, but not on a field gauge, it may not have an issue ever, but from a liability standpoint, we will always recommend it be fixed. Its not about us making money. Its about the fact that if we don't say that, we could get sued. What people choose to do once a gun leaves our shops is up to them. All we can do is tell you our recommendations and cover our butts, liability wise...

OK here's the deal:

.308 GO goes
.308 NO-GO goes
.308 FIELD doesn't go
7.62 NO-GO doesn't go

Conclusion:

Probably a 7.62 NATO and I will use that ammo in this rifle. But I can probably feel safe with .308 factory loads too ... comments?

Well, if it were my gun I would stick with 7.62 and be happy. Remember that the .308 is loaded hotter (high pressures) than the 7.62. And given that is what is stamped on the barrel I would feed it what the barrel says it shout eat. (Or if you handload download the 308 to 7.62 specs).

I was hoping to hear something like that :D

Any ideas on who made the barrel? Here's a marking the seller pointed out to me on the bottom of the barrel, muzzle end:

View attachment 208829

Birmingham Proof House marks.. I am guessing that it is a German (or FN) made, British proofed barrel. I have no idea what receiver you have of course.. there are many variations including Argentinean, Colombian, FN/German receivers mated to these barrels. The 20 tons proof indicates a modern rebuild with the new izzy barrel. Here's a thread on another forum I found:

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?165858-F.N.-Columbian-Israeli-.308.

Many surplus 98 receivers laying around with sewer pipe barrels, and a huge stack of new, surplus izzy barrels, so Interarms rebuilt the combo for commercial sale. Listen to Vern's ammo advice, above

Please enlighten me... How does one tell it's Interarms?

Because Interarms was, I believe the sole importer of these guns in that config.. see the link I posted to another forum. I believe that importers markings were not required back then. Someone correct me if I am wrong

Now there is also the less likely possibility that it came in as an original mil surp and some US smith rebarreled it with an izzy barrel.. the barrels were readily available as surplus well into the 1980s

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top