JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I bought the 5.7 handgun and promptly sold it. The problem was I purchased a fixed sights model. BIG Mistake. Using the SS197 (commonly available) round, the gun hit 4 to 5 inches low point of impact at 25 yards. Using the ss195 lighter faster lead free round as suggested by FNH, the gun still shot 1 to 2 " low. I had several others shoot it with the same results. I now own the adjustable sight model and it shoots great. I sold the 1 month old fixed sight model for a 300 loss in order to purchase the same gun. Still cheaper than a sight swap. 2 weeks later I bought the PS90. I love them both. Ammo is on par with price of .45 ACP, just not as readily available.

Elite Ammo will convert a fixed sight 5.7 to adjustable night sites. Just FYI. The adjustable night sights are $390 though.

For about $250, one can get a Fastfire + mount. I know many are not into Red Dots, but they sure are fun, especially on a low recoil HG like the 5.7

I believe the 5.7x28 terminal ballistics are poor. If you have one for defense, you'd might as well run up and stick them with a fencing foil, about the same effect.

While not great, they are not that poor, and would be slightly better than a .32 or .380 for personal defense. Add the low recoil, excellent accuracy, and 20-round magazine, it is significantly better than a fencing foil.
:s0045:
Chris

The 5.7x28mm round is designed to tumble and not penetrate. It is a defense round and not offensive. It cand be that bad of a round for defense if the Secret Service (insert your own joke here) carry's this round.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No need to wait; Elite Ammo has higher power PenetraTOR ammo.

I also find no offense at the anti-5.7 comments. We all love guns, and variety is the spice of life.

Just bringing up a dead story but I shot one at the range the other day (thank you Kind Random Shooting guy at Albany Range) and was blown away. It felt like a toy but I could hit a target at 50 yards, and I am a TERRIBLE shot. It just felt good in the hand, and it had just about as much recoil as a 22. Anyone reload for them? I thought I remembered reading that FN sprayed a lube on them that you could not buy, which made reloads too high of pressure unless you were careful. Am I pulling that out of my butt? If I can reload it I am buying one!

You can reload 5.7x28. The process of reloading is longer with this case than others. All I shoot through it is my reloads. I would say it's a tougher round to reload, because of the high pressures, but they are not crazy high. There is a coating on the case for easier feeding for the p90. You don't tumble these cases, due to the coating. Most people clean them with simple green for 20-30 minutes. If your a reloader, I wouldn't shy away from this case, but I wouldn't start out on this case.

There is much more info at fivesevenforum.com.

Oh yeah, to my knowledge the only manual that has any data on the 5.7 is in the lyman 49th edition. But, the data is totally false, so I wouldn't load with what that data. Come to think of it, I don't know how they can publish false load data.

Elite Ammunitions T6(r) ammo was back in stock on Saturday so I picked some up to try out.

Pretty amazing speed and penetration, especially out of a pistol.

T6

Apparently the new T6 ammo has a different copper mix that the ATF does not object to ...

Last edited by a moderator:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads