JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Maybe I've lived in a ballistic vacuum all my life. But I recently learned of a pretty cool handgun round - 5.7 x 28. I've done a search on this forum and have found nothing for discussion on this round or the FN Five Seven handguns. Does anyone shoot one? With a muzzle velocity of 2100+ FPS and a potential effective range of over 200 yards and maximum range of nearly 2000 yards. Sounds like a fun long range hand gun. Any feedback from those who have one of these or have shot them?

OK, so I searched the forum for 5.7 and Five Seven and got nothing. After I posted here, I also searched for PS90 and several 5.7 posts showed up. Strange.

There are a few threads + look for videos on YouTube. The FN 5.7 pistol can have a Burris Fastfire mounted on it, extended (30 round) mag; threaded barrel (done at Tornado Tech, Hillsboro), various types of ammo, suppressor such as a Sparrow.

When I grow up to be a man I will have all the above.

Try searching for "FiveSeven" without the space too. I picked up one a couple months ago but have only taken it out once. They're a blast to shoot and seem pretty accurate. I didn't do any long range shooting or shoot very many rounds. I picked up a couple boxes of FNH ammo which is kind of expensive.

Also check out http://www.fivesevenforum.com

I love shooting mine. I just picked up a used one off here a few months back and I'm glad I did. The recoil is almost absence. I haven't shot long range yet, but I've messed around at 50 to 100 feet and everything seems pretty accurate through those distances. I will be reloading for mine due to the high price of ammo. Like Drew said, the fiveseven forum is a great resource for this gun.

Here's some threads by Gary Roberts. He's in the Navy, and pretty much the current guru on ballistics.

I have attended a seminar he put on for our firearm instructor assoc. a few years back., and have conversed with him some over the years on ballistic/bullet performance issues.

For the most part, the 5.7 is another 'gimmick' caliber.

Small Caliber PDW's: FN 5.7 mm/HK 4.6 mm - M4Carbine.net Forums

FN 5.7? - M4Carbine.net Forums
That really is an interesting read. Now go down to Fort Hood and tell the people that they shouldn't have died, can't do it because they are dead from the 5.7 round. the small round allows the firearm to hold alot of bullets.
Can't say it would be my go to gun for self defense unless the intruder had a bullet proof vest on but they don't typically come in and tell us that.

That really is an interesting read. Now go down to Fort Hood and tell the people that they shouldn't have died, can't do it because they are dead from the 5.7 round. the small round allows the firearm to hold alot of bullets.
Can't say it would be my go to gun for self defense unless the intruder had a bullet proof vest on but they don't typically come in and tell us that.

Never said people couldn't die from it...people can die from a .22LR as well. Just not a round for serious use.

I have shot the 5.7 into many a vest, and the round will not consistently penetrate them...and that's with a worn out level II over 7 years old.

The current 31 gr SS-190 FMJ bullet has nearly adequate penetration, but the wound resulting from this projectile has a relatively small permanent crush cavity, as well as an insignificant temporary stretch cavity. Although the 5.7 x 28 mm penetrates soft body armor, wounding potential is at best like a .22 LR or .22 Magnum. Even 9mm NATO FMJ makes a larger wound--and we are all aware of the awe inspiring incapacitation potential of M882 ball from the M9......

22mag is cheaper and so is a 9mm
I've heard a couple different places that it's another 22mag type round.
As far as thew round count,I have 30 round mags for my glocks and the KelTec 22mag holds 30 rounds.
That school shooting has more to do with some lucky shooting by the shooter than the actual 5.7 caliber gun.Sometimes cold and calculated make for some accurate shooting

Anyway,the one thing that may make it better than the 22 mag is the necking of the cartridge
22 mag is notorious for being a jam-o-matic round,because of it's length X diameter.
So does the 5.7 feed perfectly,or kinda like the 22mag?

And I looked at some ballistic gel vids that showed that the commercial rounds don't quite penetrate a kevlar vest.

With the newer offerings of aftermarket ammo, this appears to be a viable option. Check out the tests done by a group of people, some serious skeptics, that demonstrates the weapon's effectiveness.

Zombie Squad • View topic - FNH FiveseveN (5.7x28)

Yeah,the kids from their Mom's basement is who I'd get my info from

First thread I read on that site was "yeah well you're stupid" "No you are"....

I have a FiveseveN and I like it. I don't think it is the best all around defense caliber, but I do think it is servicable, from what I have seen shooting it. Some things I like about mine:

Adjustable sights
Very light - even loaded
Decent trigger
Very slight recoil, more than a 22lr, less than 9mm.
Safety location & rail

In fact the recoil is so slight, that with a good grip, you don't lose the sight picture, so you can fire aimed shots as fast as you can pull the trigger. It does shoot accurately at long range, and is the only handgun caliber that puts holes in the steel handgun target I own (only with EA ammo brass bullets and granted a .223 puts much bigger holes).

Does all that make it a better defense gun than a 9mm,40,45 etc. Maybe not, but it is not a 22lr. The Kel-tec PMR is a better plinker, because it costs half as much and so does the ammo. I do know that it has been 100% reliable, and as stated above 22 mags can be a little finicky

The ammo is expensive, I paid about $17 a box (by case qty) but it is not that much more than 45acp.

These are just my opinions, but I actually own and shoot one, so they are informed by that at least. I wouldn't buy it as my first gun, but I have a lot of handguns, and I thought this one was interesting, and I do like it. I wouldn't be afraid to carry it.

Yeah,the kids from their Mom's basement is who I'd get my info from

I was referring to the actual tests, not the posted comments. In the link provided is a very thorough set of tests that is documented in video form. To keep it simple, all you need to do is watch the video, not read if you don't wish to.

Seems legit......:s0114:
An awful lot of threads seem to contain some variant of the above arguement. I have my eye on one of these after tax returns this year. I got to shoot one thanks to a nice stranger at our gun club, it is accurate and low recoil. Plus it was used extensively on Battlestar Galactica, so its cool factor goes waaayyyy up!
1278661_com_bsgfn57d.jpg

1278661_com_bsgfn57d.jpg

There are a few threads + look for videos on YouTube. The FN 5.7 pistol can have a Burris Fastfire mounted on it, extended (30 round) mag; threaded barrel (done at Tornado Tech, Hillsboro), various types of ammo, suppressor such as a Sparrow.

When I grow up to be a man I will have all the above.

I forgot a Surefire x300 (now being phased out, so price is only around $180 on the street.) Maybe even the x400 (also being phased out for the 400-3 green laser model). A space gun needs attached toys.

I was referring to the actual tests, not the posted comments. In the link provided is a very thorough set of tests that is documented in video form. To keep it simple, all you need to do is watch the video, not read if you don't wish to.

Nothing bad about you brah,just the site.Yeah most times the kids in the basements are the best at finding links on the webberneter

It is an interesting gun,since I won't buy a keltec 22mag,but the price of $8-900 is a little steep for a plinker.
I have rifles for 100+ shots anyway

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads