JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Anyone carrying a 5.7x28 usg

I have sold them and owned one, but until recently, I never considered it for a CCW

I had a reired feseral agent in the shop the other day and he was carrying one.

WE spoke to great length about the merrit of the little beast.

Interested in hearing from anyone that carries one.

Snowy

I have one and ammo has never been a problem,
The price of the gun is a lot of money for many folks tho
and the size does get a bit larger when you put a 30 rd mag in it

Getting ammo isn't the problem, it's the fact that we can't really get ammo that was designed for self defense that is. I know a few specialty places make better ammo, but shooting factory FN ammo would be nice.

i have been reading about Elite ammo, and it sounds like great stuff.

I have owned an early Five Seven, and it was sweet, even though it's tad larger than I would like.

Reading on some Cop Forums, and the cartridge certainly seems to be capable (using good ammo)

The Cost of the gun is a moot point as far as I am concerned.

My cost is $1000 (dealer) and many custom carry 1911 pieces I have had go through the shop cost that or more.

Just looking for anyone who has/does carry one.

Thanks for the replies so far.

Snowy

I had one, never considered carrying it as it was way too big. The ammo was a big issue for me, though it is more available now, it was very difficult to obtain and expensive to shoot. I personally feel that there are much better pistols to shoot and especially to carry.

Took my 5-7 out shooting at a friend's farm. We had gallon milk jugs filled with frozen water.

I watched my buddy with his 1911 chip away at one, blowing big chunks off it.

Took my 5-7 with the FN blue tip (Hornady varmint bullet, I think) and fired one shot at my jug of ice. We safed and holsterd our weapons cause it looked like nothing happened.

Turned out most of the back half of the ice was blown out the back of the jug... tiny pin prick entry hole, big jagged mess on the backside. Yeah, I know ice isn't comparable to a person, but it made me think that 40 gr bullet rated at 1700 fps out the barrel of a 5-7 should be an OK choice for self defense.

I don't carry mine on a daily basis. My everyday carry is a Kel-Tec SF9. During the business day, leaving it in my car is sometimes necessary. If it were stolen, not a great financial loss. When I know I'm traveling to high-crime area's...my Five-Seven is my weapon of choice. I like the idea of lot's of rounds. It is a bit bulky though.

The 5.7 w/ Elite T6 copper ammo is a beast, but the ammo is pretty rare. The speed and penetration is definitely in rifle territory (2300+ fps).

With a red dot on it, the 5.7 pistol would be about as good as it gets for longer range pistol work. For the typical 5y-15y SD work though, there are probably better options.

I hear the 5.56 green tip / SS109 bullets can be pulled & swapped, long as the atf doesn't catch ya

I was always under the impression that you can make whatever you want for your own use, but just can't sell; but then I don't reload so not sure.

A 62g bullet would be far too heavy anyway.

The T-6 civilian-available and the police-only armor-piercing black tip rounds were always considered the top tier performance ammo from what I've read. Neither are practice rounds at $3-$5+ a piece though.

Through two Level IIIa panels and two water jugs (04:15)

Last edited by a moderator:
I located Brass and Dies yesterday and will get started on the reload process.

I will likely carry in a fanny pack due to the size.

After having a stroke over a year ago, I have had to switch to left hand draw, and with limited strength in my right hand, the near zero recoil of the 5.7 is a plus.

I have a Glock 32 (357 sig) and love it, but controling muzzle flip for a good quick second shot is tougher than it should be.

I had always wanted a Glock 29 (10mike) and finally scored one, but the reality is that the recoil of that little beast is going to be problematic with the one weak paw.

The5.7 is bulky, but a fanny pack will hide it well, or at least keep folks guessing.

The ballistics are pretty snappy for sure.

It's definitely not old school big slug stuff.

Snowy

I am really looking for anyone who has tried Vitavouri 3N37 powder in this gun.

I am looking forward to loading for it.

I started gathering cases, bullets and the needed tooling.
I have a rack of RCBS shell plates thats 5 feet long and holds plates for just about every caliber, at least pistol stuff anyway, but I did not have one for the 5.7

Ahhhh well, such is life.

I have looked at the 3n37 vita powder and am very sure it will be suitable, butttttt, would really like a starting point using the 40 gr vmax bullets

According to most folks from the fiveseven forum the powder of choice is true blue. I've never tried 3N37. I have used AA#7 and it was a good powder. If you're close, sportsman's warehouse has a rcbs shell holder in stock. I think it is #49.

I've been carrying my FiveSeven for about two years. At first I thought this thing is a great pistol that is huge. Then I took my Commander size 1911 (single stack with 4.25" barrel) and sat it next to the FiveSeven and they are the exact same size. Length width and height. I'm 6'3" 200+ and I use a Super-tuck deluxe. That and a loose T-shirt allows even the FiveSeven to disappear. The super tuck is great I wear it low on my left side (I'm a southpaw)and I can barely tell I have it on when driving my truck.

As it stands I'll take 20 rounds with good ballistics (better than 9mm) over 8 rounds of ballistically superior ammo. I dare even say it is about on par with 40 and 45 ballistically (looking at their lower end rounds). And then considering 20 rounds with low recoil and consistent repeatable accuracy.

I love the FiveSeven I feel it's a great all around pistol. But I still have a little voice I the back of my head saying keep the 45 (it will definitely stop people up close with a quickness).

But that's just my 2.5

Talked to my local shop. They have a back order on the 5/7 but FN is considering building them and some other models here in the US. Quota for imports is slowing down deliveries. I put my order in... looks like at least 3 months. I hope it's not another PM30 fiasco. Stocking up on ammo in anticipation. Might have to go the roll your own route.

The fiveseven is one of my favorite pistols to shoot due to its accuracy and low recoil. I always thought it was bulky too but looking here, it shouldn't be bad. Might consider carrying mine some.

I regret selling my IOM, but that's life.

The USG I am told has some improvements, so off I go in search of one now.

As a FFL dealer, I can order one, buttttttttttttttt, the shelves seem to be bare at the moment.

The rep at the warehouse assured me that he could snag one for me soon :s0114:
I have heard that before.

Ahhh well, all is well.

Snowy

I have thought about the 5/7 for a couple of reasons:

1) I have a member of my family that occasionally shoots and current has a semi-compact 9MM. This person has an illness that will progressively weaken their muscle control and there is no cure. THis person currently does okay with the 9MM they have but limp wrists my 9MM (probably due to bad technique) which causes it to occasionally FTF/FTE (I forget which).

This person might do better with a 5/7 due to its lower recoil impulse.

2) I would like to get a pistol in 5.7x28 that is made for handgun hunting instead of self-defense, but the only one I know of (besides the FN) has a poor history of quality, has design problems, and poor reported customer service (IIRC).

That, the special ammo needed (polymer coated cases) and ammo availability has made me hesitate when considering purchasing one.