JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I find myself in need of a gun smith that can replace a FN FAL receiver - I was wondering if any one would recommend a gun smith that could do this work? I need to have a cracked Williams aluminum receiver replaced with a good steel one.

Thank you for that info mountain bear. Went with TIm Copeland (vezley) . A good and fair gunsmith that got rail roaded off this board. Been slow getting back to ths website started a new job. They are out there.

Do you still have the cracked alumabomb receiver? I know a few guys that build pistol caliber blowback FAL's on them (about all the aluminum FAL receivers are good for) and might be able to give you something for it.

Mountain bear - I have not got my gun back from the gun smith. Either way it has a 3" crack running down the left side of the receiver. I suspect that the receiver isn't going to be good for much of anything.

Let me know when you get it back. A three inch crack is probably weldable for a good Tig welder. And for a low pressure blowback gun, it might work. Like I said, not me, I don't get into FAL's much, but I know several guys who do. :)

will do as I have no need for it.
I will never buy another gun with a aluminum / light alloy frame. I have had two and both have broken.

Reason they call them alumabombs...

Smarter man than I am once told me that we are given the same lesson over until we learn it at which time we are given a new lesson. Had lots of friends make similar mistakes with receivers.

I am bringing this thread back to say thank you for the work Vezley did on my FN FAL, I am very happy with the finished product - thank you. He rebuilt the rifle, it had the alumna bomb receiver that as replaced and reassembled with a Coonan arms metric receiver, reassembled and then parkerized. In my eyes it is exactly what I wanted.

FAL1.png FAL2.png

fal3.jpg

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR