JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Not sure if you've seen this little nugget yet. I posted it under another thread as a response, but thought it also deserved it's own thread. I caught this while watching the news last night.

How often would you say that someone pays money to put out advertisements when new laws go into effect? I'd say it's pretty darn rare, I certainly am having a hard time coming up with another example.

But the folks at Everytown, burdened with an excess of Bloomberg cash, decided to plop some of it down to make sure that folks know that ALL FIREARMS SALES NOW REQUIRE BACKGROUND CHECKS. Yep, unlike all the other crap laws they passed, this one gets center stage, courtesy of our local Portland area television stations.

Mike Reese :s0066:, the former police chief of Portlandia was drafted to educate Oregonians on the new law, and to remind us, again, of how effective it will be, based on Everytown's distorted statistics, of course.

I'm certain many of the homeboys in the gang-heavy areas of Portland and the burbs were watching the nightly news last night, just so they could be made aware of the new law. It must seem unfair to them that their Hi-Point "Glock" 40's will now cost another $30-$50 - that's just not fair on the low-income crowd.

I can't tell you how much safer I feel now knowing that they are educating the locals to keep an eye out for those illegal transactions. I'm surprised they didn't include a phone number to a hotline just to report those scary gun sales.

Comments are still open on YT for this one - let em have it :mad:

Last Edited:
Maybe they should have combined this one with reminding everyone that recreational pot will now be legal, and let them know where they can go to buy it. Maybe a new commercial, with Reese tokin' away and delivering a new message: "Dudes, as you know, guns are no bueno here in Oregon, but you can totally get wasted! So if you see some loser gun-nut doing a private sale, turn them in! You'll be rewarded with 8 ounces of primo weed. Take care my dudes!"

Some cops like the law because it makes the job of tracking down firearms easier. Has nothing to do with solving or preventing crime, just makes the administrative load lighter. They like to bring all of these "after the fact tidbits" into the courtroom to pump up their resumes.

Any bets on this guy running for public office soon?

Some cops like the law because it makes the job of tracking down firearms easier. Has nothing to do with solving or preventing crime, just makes the administrative load lighter. They like to bring all of these "after the fact tidbits" into the courtroom to pump up their resumes.

Any bets on this guy running for public office soon?

I think the very idea that making it easier to track firearms easier assists them in solving crimes. If it takes 1 day to track a firearm down versus a 10 minute phone call, I would consider that an expedient use of time to solve a crime.

I think the very idea that making it easier to track firearms easier assists them in solving crimes. If it takes 1 day to track a firearm down versus a 10 minute phone call, I would consider that an expedient use of time to solve a crime.

But tracking firearms after a crime has occurred was never part of the stated purpose of SB 941. The whole point in the law was to prevent guns from getting into the hands of criminals and those who are prohibited from owning them, not to create a gun registry to make the job of tracking guns easier. And honestly, how much time does an LEO spend in a week looking for the history of gun sales? Days? Hours? I suspect it isn't all that much time overall - feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

We were sold a lie wrapped up in a false promise. You see it as making the job easier, I see it as more information that the government doesn't need to have on us. I'm no criminal. They don't need that information on me. The very fact that you are excited about having information on everyone's firearms at your easy disposal makes me feel a bit uneasy.

I recently purchased a used gun from a recently retired former LEO out of Multnomah County. He did not see it the way you do. He thought SB941 was not going to be helpful and likely wouldn't be enforced due to lack of resources they have to go after real criminals - even in Multnomah County. He thought the whole registration piece was an overstep of authority by the government. He shared some other thoughts too, but since this is a family site, I'll have to keep those to myself.

It'll also make for an expedient use of time to conduct mass confiscations as they continually find ways to restrict certain "classes" of people from owning firearms.

The road to the eventual mass disarming of the citizenry is undertaken by "underarming" the citizenry... bit by bit, chip by chip, until there's nothing left but broken gravel... and tyranny. o_O

Loophole? For who?
The only ones this BS hurts is the law abiding. Tell me how yet another feel good law being passed will stop someone from hurting another?

Loophole? For who?
The only ones this BS hurts is the law abiding. Tell me how yet another feel good law being passed will stop someone from hurting another?

Oh, it definitely won't, but damn, they sure feel better now. Next up, they'll need to feel better about magazine capacity - the guaranteed next step come 2017 if we don't find a way to restore opposition in Salem. I sure hope Oregon gun owners get their heads out of their a$$es in the next election and vote pro-gun. If not, we'll need a big tub of Vaseline for the next round.

But tracking firearms after a crime has occurred was never part of the stated purpose of SB 941. The whole point in the law was to prevent guns from getting into the hands of criminals and those who are prohibited from owning them, not to create a gun registry to make the job of tracking guns easier. And honestly, how much time does an LEO spend in a week looking for the history of gun sales? Days? Hours? I suspect it isn't all that much time overall - feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

We were sold a lie wrapped up in a false promise. You see it as making the job easier, I see it as more information that the government doesn't need to have on us. I'm no criminal. They don't need that information on me. The very fact that you are excited about having information on everyone's firearms at your easy disposal makes me feel a bit uneasy.

I recently purchased a used gun from a recently retired former LEO out of Multnomah County. He did not see it the way you do. He thought SB941 was not going to be helpful and likely wouldn't be enforced due to lack of resources they have to go after real criminals - even in Multnomah County. He thought the whole registration piece was an overstep of authority by the government. He shared some other thoughts too, but since this is a family site, I'll have to keep those to myself.

I really don't because for less than 100 bucks you can continue to buy anonymously without the government being able to track you. In fact generations in my family have been buying firearms anonymously through trusts since the 1940's.

The promise was to reduce firearms in the hands of criminals and in essence, being able to track where felons get their firearms allows you to prosecute the people who have no compunctions with selling guns to criminals. If you can't find out where the felons get their guns, you just end up only being able to catch people AFTER they commit crimes.

I've been listening to people complain about mass confiscations for decades. Buying guns anonymously is almost as easy as surfing the web anonymously.

So... that's how it works, you get caught AFTER committing a crime. Solving "pre-crime" is a progressive's dream come true, because it will go back to "genetic predisposition", political-religious affiliation, and racial-ethnic stereotypes. :rolleyes:

Welcome back to the "new and improved" eugenics, and racism! o_O

I really don't because for less than 100 bucks you can continue to buy anonymously without the government being able to track you. In fact generations in my family have been buying firearms anonymously through trusts since the 1940's.

The promise was to reduce firearms in the hands of criminals and in essence, being able to track where felons get their firearms allows you to prosecute the people who have no compunctions with selling guns to criminals. If you can't find out where the felons get their guns, you just end up only being able to catch people AFTER they commit crimes.

I've been listening to people complain about mass confiscations for decades. Buying guns anonymously is almost as easy as surfing the web anonymously.
It seems like that would only be useful for NFA items and multiple family members being able to use them. For average modern sportin rifles, it seems like more hassle than its worth.

Are there any other details about buying through a trust when it comes to everyday firearms and not NFA items? Would it be cost effextive compared to the $10/$20-25 fees one would have to pay if buying from a private party to transfer or its that cost still included?

But as you said folks will always find a way, With or without doing a BGC

They can't "abort" the spawn they produced with their grand experiment "war on poverty" and all the problems it's caused . Sooooo, it's all about "GUNS CAUSE CRIME", take away guns and problems solved.....:confused:

Last Edited:
They can't abort the spawn they produced with their grand experiment "war on poverty" and all the problems it's caused . Sooooo, it's all about "GUNS CAUSE CRIME", take away guns and problems solved.....:confused:

There's a lot of truth there. They have created a 'monster' by giving certain groups near carte blanche to scream and shout their messages of intolerance and hatred toward them (while themselves spouting intolerance and hatred). They can't blame criminals, because it's criminals that support them. All you have to do is look at Seattle last weekend when Bernie Sanders tried to speak - he was overtaken and pushed off the podium by the very people he and his ilk have empowered to have a boisterous, screaming, ranting voice. And now, they don't know how to get it back under control. They deserve what they get from these folks. And I'll be watching from the sidelines as it consumes them from the inside out.

There's a lot of truth there. They have created a 'monster' by giving certain groups near carte blanche to scream and shout their messages of intolerance and hatred toward them (while themselves spouting intolerance and hatred). They can't blame criminals, because it's criminals that support them. All you have to do is look at Seattle last weekend when Bernie Sanders tried to speak - he was overtaken and pushed off the podium by the very people he and his ilk have empowered to have a boisterous, screaming, ranting voice. And now, they don't know how to get it back under control. They deserve what they get from these folks. And I'll be watching from the sidelines as it consumes them from the inside out.
And today with blocking off an intersection. One of Charlie Hales' chief aides was out there telling drivers who were blocked and trapped they had to turn around because the protesters were being allowed to break the law. I guarantee that had that crowd been armed white individuals Portland PD would have been out in force in full kit.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top