JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Although I've had my Dillon 750 for some time now, it's still sitting unopened in the box as I've just been too damned busy lately. However, I'm still collecting components here & there, and I'm genuinely curious what folks think of the above options for 9mm bullets.

Which do you prefer and why? I'm especially interested to hear from those who use Hi-Tek coated lead.

Cheers!

Blue bullets, fairly accurate, and inexpensive. Usually buy on Black Friday, but not last year. Current lead times are absolutely bonkers.

Well, all else being equal I would choose them in the order you listed.

That said, when there's a price incentive Hi-Tek coated bullets are just fine. I cast and powder-coat my own. Powder coating results in a bullet very similar to Hi-Tek coating. I've cast my own for decades and have used many thousands of traditionally cast and lubed bullets, and powder-coating (and Hi-Tek) is revolutionary compared to cast. Cleaner, less smoke, almost like a jacketed/plated bullet compared to regular cast bullets.

I like the hi tek coated lead for range use on steel and punching paper. I've used 124 and 125 grain lead round nose in 9mm, using Alliant Sport Pistol (currently) and Winchester WSF (previously).

Sounds like we're pretty much all in agreement, so far! ( Mark THAT on the calendar, eh?)

When supplies are plentiful, I like the commercial bulk Hi-Tek about the best for competitions using pistol, simply because it's cheaper, and reasonably accurate. Nowadays, I cast and Hi-Tek coat my own, due to the crunch. SnS casting makes pretty nice stuff, and sells ~ 68 pound shipping box loads. I had some good luck when the crunch first hit with Black Bullets ( BBI) coming through the fastest.

FMJ is probably the most accurate, but $$$. Plated is nice for a lot of stuff, easy to handle in bullet feeders. ~ $$. And then bulk Hi-Tek for $.

I've found hi Tek to be hit and miss. I can use them just fine on most of my pistols but they make an absolute mess of the rifling in my HKs. Glocks are fine, go figure. The ogive on Brazos precision brand is sightly different from Berry's plated and most FMJ which meant I have to seat them just a tick deeper into their case, or remember which guns the "normal" length rounds work in. But when I can buy almost 1k 115gr bullets for $60 shipped, I'm willing to deviate from the norm. Would not even bother if they weren't so much cheaper

Just be careful with coated Bullets when seating. It's not hard to shave off the coating if the bullet starts crooked, or there's not enough flare.

I started casting my own bullets when the local prices shot up to $70.00 a thousand. Now they are $95.00 a thousand, & jacketed bullets are $120.00 a thou.....
The LEE six (6) cavity molds make production fast, & your 1st thousand cast paid for the mold.
Powder coating them erases the lubing process. Ask me about the 5 easy steps to PC.

Right now, I buy what is available, and hopefully cheaper! For range time, I have plated and coated, I keep some FMJs to use once those are gone. Got a few thousand of each in coated ready to go - 9mm, 38, 44. Last two batches were from DG Bullets, and Kimberlin Creek, both shoot well.

I guess for Hi-Tek coated bullets my main question would be about flaring the pistol case mouth and by how much. Is it the same for copper or must you go a tad wider?

I do a similar amount of flare for copper plated and hi tek coated. Definitely more than jacketed, as the coating/plating will get scraped off/wrinkled if you don't. And particularly with many of the plated bullets, the lead core is softer than many other lead bullets and depending on the velocity you are pushing them, may lead up your bore. Just enough so that when you set the bullet when seating, the base clears the edge if the brass without any contact of the edge. Too much isn't good as it over-works the brass and makes it more difficult at the crimping stage (I do these separately on my Dillons with individual dies.). Also, the correct setting in the crimp die is important to reverse the case belling, but not to put too much crimp on the plated/coated bullet. You don't want an aggressive crimp to break through the coating/plating, or else you can end up with leading issues. I've shot more coated than plated, but definitely thousands of both, and not had any leading or accuracy issues as long as the bullet is properly sized to the bore, and driven at an appropriate velocity.

Although I've had my Dillon 750 for some time now, it's still sitting unopened in the box as I've just been too damned busy lately. However, I'm still collecting components here & there, and I'm genuinely curious what folks think of the above options for 9mm bullets.

Which do you prefer and why? I'm especially interested to hear from those who use Hi-Tek coated lead.

Cheers!
been using bear creek supply bullets since 1993 moly coated. 1800 fps no leading. cost is cheap. 209-874-4322

I pretty much exclusively use high tek coated lead in pistol. Jacketed is great and precision delta always had pretty good prices plated where always a bit finicky and pretty much the same price as real jacketed bullets so aside from some berry's that I bought local when I was first getting started again and getting things in small quantities local stores I haven't messed with them much.

Tried them all and to me plated bullets remain reliable and affordable if you buy in bulk to weather these panic shortages. So long as copper plated 9mm''s like the Extremes or Berrys are still under a dime a round (just ordered a bunch from Bass Pro Shop $46.99/500) they're well worth it. In 45acp, they're around $75/500, but again, well worth having zero issues loading them into my brass after literally thousands of rounds.

Precision Delta in my major 9 open gun.
X treme other wise
But have picked up a few thousand of berry's in .380 when I saw it at Cabelas.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top