JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Team,

I'm flying for the first time in 16 months this week. I've always used two separate hard-sided strongboxes, one for the unloaded guns, one for the ammo. But I'm reading a contradictory statement on TSA (shocking). Check it:
  • Firearm magazines and ammunition clips, whether loaded or empty, must be securely boxed or included within a hard-sided case containing an unloaded firearm. Read the requirements governing the transport of ammunition in checked baggage as defined by 49 CFR 175.10 (a)(8).
  • Small arms ammunition (up to .75 caliber and shotgun shells of any gauge) must be packaged in a fiber (such as cardboard), wood, plastic, or metal box specifically designed to carry ammunition and declared to your airline.
  • Ammunition may be transported in the same hard-sided, locked case as a firearm if it has been packed as described above. You cannot use firearm magazines or clips for packing ammunition unless they completely enclose the ammunition. Firearm magazines and ammunition clips, whether loaded or empty, must be boxed or included within a hard-sided, locked case.
So basically, the government is saying you CAN have a loaded magazine in the same locked case as an unloaded firearm. Then they say ammunition must be packaged in a box designed to carry ammunition (how I've always done it), contradicting the first staement. Then they go on to say it CAN be packed in the same locked box as the unloaded firearm if it has been packed "as described above," but there are two different ways they say it must be packed. Finally, magazines CAN be used for packing ammunition but only if it "completely encloses" the ammunition. Like a PMAG with the dust cover in place? This is crazy.

I've never had a problem in 20 years of flying with guns, but given all the radical changes this year and last, I thought I'd check with the group and see if any y'all have flown recently with guns and ammo. Thanks!

Last Edited:
It states both ways, but check your airline's website to get their specifics. I've seen some ok with loaded magazines, others require the ammo to be in a box. Every time I've flown the last few years has been with a gun and it's pretty easy. If you have factory ammo boxes just use that, or buy mtm boxes for a few bucks. Most recently I flew with 300 rds of 9mm. Putting it in the boxes keeps it nice and organized, and doesn't let a new TSA agent make a judgment call. I found my routine with it an all airports seem to be fine with it.

It states both ways, but check your airline's website to get their specifics. I've seen some ok with loaded magazines, others require the ammo to be in a box. Every time I've flown the last few years has been with a gun and it's pretty easy. If you have factory ammo boxes just use that, or buy mtm boxes for a few bucks. Most recently I flew with 300 rds of 9mm. Putting it in the boxes keeps it nice and organized, and doesn't let a new TSA agent make a judgment call. I found my routine with it an all airports seem to be fine with it.
Yeah, as I mentioned, I usually use the two-strongbox method. Never a problem. But I was trying to use a smaller suitcase and only taking two compact pistols, I could easily fit all the ammo I need all in one case with the unloaded guns. Probably best to just stick with what I know and pack a few less pairs of underwear. :)

I load my pistol mags and then put them into a pelican micro case. My belief is they are concerned with the possibility of loose rounds rolling around freely in your luggage...and that if you just toss your loaded mags into your suitcase, a round might pop out of the mag and then...ya know...roll around in your luggage, blow up, and bring down the entire plane. :rolleyes:

But I always bring along an empty cardboard ammo box with the tray in it. If they don't like my loaded mags, I'll just put the ammo back in the box.

TSA's new thing is that they seem to want you to have your pistol locked inside a smaller case inside your suitcase. I travel with a large Pelican 1615 air case that used to serve as both my suitcase and gun case. In this manner I got to lock all my personal belongings with my own locks. I've been hearing, however, this is no longer ok.

Good luck...and may the odds be ever in your favor!

I always unload the mags and put them in factory ammo boxes. Honestly you never know who you're going to get and I just prefer to be under the radar.
YEP!! The one BIG warning I give to those who ask this is PLEASE try to follow what the airline and TSA put out and do NOT cut it close on time. Every time this comes up several will say "I fly xyz air line and its a snap". It is supposed to be, it was made to be easy. It has NOTHING to do with the airline or even airport as much as it has to do with morons in charge. Now and then some unlucky person gets some moron with some "power" who can't wait to tell them they cant fly with a gun. There is always someone there to get it done but, if you cut it short on lead time and miss a flight? You are just SOL. So get there with plenty of time and some entertainment. Then after you get past the screening you can relax and kill a couple hours waiting instead of watching you BP got up as you look at your watch waiting to miss your flight because this time you had some idiot hold you up.

5-6 years ago I flew to Florida out of Sleez-tac on Frontier airlines. I copied the carriers rules and highlighted every line as I loaded the case.
The instructions said to tape the top of the loaded magazines with duct tape so that's what I did and did not have a problem since the case was not opened by TSA (TIKO)…

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top