JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've read the TSA guidelines about declaring the pistol at check in and having the firearm locked in an opaque case. Also that the firearm must be unloaded and each airline has a different policy about how much ammo can be checked in. (I'm flying Alaska, which allows up to 50 lbs of ammo, which must be stored in original packaging or magazines that are inside a mag carrier or has the bullets themselves completely covered. Also its ok to store the ammo inside the same luggage or locked case as the checked pistol.)

My gun case is a Gun Vault nano 300 (with key) and fits my XD 45 service and 2 mags. I want to carry 3 and was wondering if its OK to store my empty mags with my ammo in a unlocked but securely closed pelican case. Or do the mags have to be locked up with the firearm in my gunvault?

My main concern is that I am flying to Texas which accepts WA CPL, however, I have a 1 hour layover in Denver, CO before I fly to Texas. Denver CO does not accept any other states CPL. The moment I land in Denver, even though the firearm is not on my person and is in the possession of the airline, am I legally allowed to stay in Denver and wait for my connecting flight to Texas? I recall reading that the moment I land in Denver, I can be arrested on the spot even though the airline has my pistol in their possession.

Any information would be greatly appreciated. Trying to figure out all the fine lines is confusing! :huh:

Regards,
Brian

Better see about insurance beyond any forlorn hope that the airline will reimburse you if it's lost or stolen. I asked about it at the ticket counter and was told there is no insurance available, and I just happen to know that losses and theft are a part airline life. See if someone will insure it and don't be sorry.

I fly all the time with one pistol or pistol and rifle.I walk up to the ticket agent, declare I have sporting goods. They ask what i have and I say firearms. About that time they starting looking up the process for handling the situation on thier computer. Sometimes they claim they know what the **** they are doing and make a mistake. I produce thier regulations and they realize they dont know what they are doing.

It is a process. The key is being informed and calm. Never raise your voice or call them stupid. Just act professional.

The guy who flew into New Jersey with a semi-pistol (illegal in NJ) had the misfortune of having his connecting flight canceled/delayed due to weather. His mistake: He picked up his firearm from the airline. Once he had it back in his possession, it came under NJ jurisdiction, whereupon they picked him up & charged him with possession of an "illegal" weapon. While the airline had it, Federal Law (interstate commerce) applied, and NJ couldn't touch it. (RKBA.com had the story on this some time ago.)

While you are waiting in Denver, it SHOULD be transfered to your connecting flight to TX without you having to do anything. If your flight is canceled/delayed, leave it with the airline (or in the case of Colorado, there shouldn't be a problem with it unloaded and in locked baggage).

Avoid New Jersey like the Plague State it is: Even many of the residents refer to the place as the PDRNJ (People's Demokratic Republik of New Jersey).

Some airlines refuse to transport firearms/ammo in baggage, for which they should be loudly boycotted.

The guy who flew into New Jersey with a semi-pistol (illegal in NJ) had the misfortune of having his connecting flight canceled/delayed due to weather. His mistake: He picked up his firearm from the airline. Once he had it back in his possession, it came under NJ jurisdiction, whereupon they picked him up & charged him with possession of an "illegal" weapon. While the airline had it, Federal Law (interstate commerce) applied, and NJ couldn't touch it. (RKBA.com had the story on this some time ago.)

While you are waiting in Denver, it SHOULD be transfered to your connecting flight to TX without you having to do anything. If your flight is canceled/delayed, leave it with the airline (or in the case of Colorado, there shouldn't be a problem with it unloaded and in locked baggage).

Avoid New Jersey like the Plague State it is: Even many of the residents refer to the place as the PDRNJ (People's Demokratic Republik of New Jersey).

Some airlines refuse to transport firearms/ammo in baggage, for which they should be loudly boycotted.

This situation happened to me in California(SFO). I had to transfer airlines for a red eye. Both my Remington 700 and G30 were in locked cases and I had to pick them up from baggage claim and walk right back up to the ticket counter to get another boarding pass and check in my luggage. It was 10:30pm on a Sunday night and not one cop in sight. No one said a word. That guys situation is a huge loophole. Maybe they should work on fixing these types of situations will minimal impact to us law biding citizens.

I recently traveled with my CCW on a trip to Arizona. It was my first time, so I was a little apprehensive, but it really couldn't have been easier. In fact, I have to give props to the airline (Alaska) and yes, even the TSA.:s0131: At the ticket counter, they knew exactly how to handle the situation, and nobody even batted an eye when I informed them I had a firearm. Anyways, the firearms declaration "form" required nothing more than a signature. One copy in the lockable case, one stapled to my boarding pass, and I was on my way. I did use TSA locks just to make it easy on them if they wanted to inspect it. I don't think they did before the flight from Portland to Phoenix, but I know they did on the return trip, since I got their little notice inside my baggage. In all, I was really surprised at how little hassle it really was to travel with a firearm in checked baggage. Good stuff!

Denver CO does not accept any other states CPL.

Actually, they recognize almost everyone's CPL. . . but ours. They will recognizes any resident CCW permit of any state that recognizes theirs:

Pursuant to Colorado law (CRS 18-12-213), the State of Colorado will recognize a valid permit issued in another state IF the permit was issued to a resident of the state issuing the permit, and the permit tee is 21 yrs of age or older, AND the other state recognizes Colorado permits as valid in their state. http://cbi.state.co.us/ic/Reciprocity.html

I did use TSA locks just to make it easy on them if they wanted to inspect it.

I'm at work or I'd post a link, but from what I understand it has to be in a hard sided case locked with a key or combination that only you have access to, TSA locks are specifically prohibited. Might wanna double check next time :)

To be honest, I'm more afraid of the TSA than I am of terrorists.

I recently travelled out of eugene, oregon with "2" car-15's and 15 lbs. of 5.56mm nato.
I checked into Delta and the ticket counter went great, they asked me if my guns were loaded, i said, no. they had me fill out the red tag and insert it in the case. from there i went to the T.S.A., thats where the problems started. As i was turning in the weapons case, I declared that there were gunsand ammo.. the lady say. O.K. go ahead and lock the case, I obliged. a couple of minutes later, someone else came running over"NO,NO,NO, you have to have the case unlocked."... o.k. case is now unlocked" supervisor to me: "you wait here while we scan your luggage".. I sez: no problem (giving my best smile).. the case went thru the scanner, and the lady running the scanner went insane with her arms flapping rapidly getting her supervisor over to take a look,I heard her say something like "oh my god"..thats when they pretty much decided to search all my stuff, and had to digg around thru all my luggage.fingering my ammo, mags equipment,. took me about 40 minutes of just standing there waiting. finally the supervisor comes back to me handing me my keys to my weapons case. One of the T.S.A. guys then followed me to security check-in then watched as i went thru the scanner, shoes off etc. My trip back home was alot easier coming back from phoenix, no hassles, just checked my bags in, red tagged my guns,no searches, no questions.

I fly with guns twice a year or so. During my undergrad it was between AK and AZ and now it's AK and OR. I've gotten strange looks when I filled out the form and dropped it in with my Mossberg 500, LR308, S12, G20, and x39 Saiga in the same case. The 40lbs of ammo didn't help either.

I flew several times a year with a gun case and ammunition for quite a while. Go to the TSA web site and print their regulations, keep them with you. Having a nice color copy in the top of the gun case ends a lot of silliness from some very low quality employees. Know your airlines requirements as well. 90% of the time it is trouble free, occasionally you meet some really "special" people.

when i traveled on SouthWest.... I brought the 2 handguns in with a hard side lockable case. 2 big master locks on the outside... clips empty and inside with the pistol. I didn't bring ammo. for me it was easier to just buy it at the my destination. Portland inspected at the baggage scanner... i did put them back in my luggage... with the big tag hanging off it. Reno took me in the back room and did same inspection, and tag.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top