JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm going to be flying from Portland to Las Vegas with my Glock 26, was wondering if anyone had any tips for me to make everything go smooth. Thanks!
You have to have a case that is TSA approved.
Locked and the ammo must be separated from the gun .
It can be in the same box .
But there must be a Barrera between the gun and ammo .
Lol you know why .
Because guns load themselves and shoot PEOPLE.
And the ammo must be in a box .
Not in the Mags .

This is what I was told a year ago so things could have changed.
But I would call the airline and get the information .

My Marine has flown with his Springfield 1911 and AR many times. Get s TSA approved hard case and a couple TSA approved locks. Get the info from TSA online, I recommend you print it out and bring it with you; helped my son a couple times. Double check with the airline, FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS, and you should be solid. Its really not a problem if you follow the directions.

• Read the TSA site and your specific airlines policy on guns. You may want to print copies and have them with you
  • Remember, you need to use locks that only YOU can open. No TSA approved locks on guns. YOU are the only one who is supposed to have access to.
Update: In checking the TSA site, they do say you can use TSA locks. I personally think you're crazy if you do. The less people who have access to your case, the better. Just my opinion.​

• Arrive early enough to sort out the process. And the process is usually specific to a given airport, not the individual airlines. Expect that the airport in Vegas may have a different process than in Portland
  • I'm a fan of the Pelican 1615 air case. The case serves as both my suitcase and gun case. So in this manner...when you bring a gun...you get to lock the entire contents of your case with real locks
  • If you opt for a small, lockable case inside your suitcase, try to figure out a way to cable lock that case to the inside of your suitcase. One of the problems with using small gun cases is that they provide convenient targets for quick snatch and grab as the small case is easily hidden under a jacket, paper, in a backpack, etc. Nobody is going to do that with a large Pelican case. But Pelican cases attract thieves in their own right because there is usually good stuff in them. So pick your poison.
  • You can't curb check a case with a gun in it. So allow enough time to go inside
  • At some airports, your case will be put on the belt and go through a TSA screening in back. In other airports you will walk you case over to a special TSA inspection site. If you're in an airport where the inspection happens in back, you'll want hang out for 15-20 minutes before you go through security in case there is a problem and TSA needs. you. So you'll want to plan enough time for this
Good luck! And may the odds be ever in your favor! :)

Last Edited:
The last time I flew with a firearm which was two years ago, you were to supply your own locks and it doesn't look like anything has changed: Transporting Firearms and Ammunition. They do NOT have to be TSA approved locks. I specifically do not use use TSA locks as everyone in TSA security, baggage handling, etc.... could easily defeat them and have access to the firearm. I use both combination and keyed locks of high quality to make it as hard as possible to defeat.

Make sure you also read and understand the airline which you are flying policies for transporting firearms.

Hard case lockable.
Under the foam and a peace of hard plastic is Ammo .the mag's must be empty when flying. IMAG0522.jpg IMAG0521.jpg IMAG0755.jpg

Hard case lockable.
Under the foam and a peace of hard plastic is Ammo .the mag's must be empty when flying.View attachment 562996 View attachment 562997 View attachment 563000
Hard case lockable.
Under the foam and a peace of hard plastic is Ammo .the mag's must be empty when flying.View attachment 562996 View attachment 562997 View attachment 563000

This is where things can go off the rail. TSA's site clearly says that mags can be loaded (below). But my experience has been that this tends to freak out a lot of agents. I always leave the ammo in the factory box to avoid the hassle. If anyone decides they want to try getting loaded mags through, I would definitely have a copy of TSA's policy on hand.
  • Firearm magazines and ammunition clips, whether loaded or empty, must be securely boxed or included within a hard-sided case containing an unloaded firearm. Read the requirements governing the transport of ammunition in checked baggage as defined by 49 CFR 175.10 (a)(8).
Transporting Firearms and Ammunition

This is where things can go off the rail. TSA's site clearly says that mags can be loaded (below). But my experience has been that this tends to freak out a lot of agents. I always leave the ammo in the factory box to avoid the hassle. If anyone decides they want to try getting loaded mags through, I would definitely have a copy of TSA's policy on hand.
  • Firearm magazines and ammunition clips, whether loaded or empty, must be securely boxed or included within a hard-sided case containing an unloaded firearm. Read the requirements governing the transport of ammunition in checked baggage as defined by 49 CFR 175.10 (a)(8).
Transporting Firearms and Ammunition
Yes I have heard people say they can be loaded but before they couldn't.
Why risk it .
Leave the ammo in the factory box and the mag's empty.

It all went off the rails after the Florida airport Shooting a few years ago.

I'm going to be flying from Portland to Las Vegas with my Glock 26, was wondering if anyone had any tips for me to make everything go smooth. Thanks!
Done it a few since the new regs, always only give one warning, arrive early. The system is set up to be easy. Problem is its run by humans. Many of them are stupid. After you read the TSA rules and the rules for your airline, and come prepared, get there early. Bring something to keep yourself entertained once you get past the screening. The worst part of this question, which gets brought up a LOT, is the "it's easy" answers. Always a few who tell you how they did it last month, on XYZ airline and they are great. This can lull people into showing up with little time. Now and then you get to be the lucky one who gets some brain dead employee who stops everything when you say you have a gun. Somewhere there will be a supervisor who will fix it. They may not be standing right close by. If the brain dead employee makes you miss your flight the airline will care less. I take a small laptop with stuff to watch and listen too. Plan a couple hours of lag time after I get past the screen. Easier than showing up with just enough time and then running into a problem. One more thing. Printing out the rules and such can't hurt but, if you are unlucky enough to run into the robot who tells you no, they do not care and will not even read what you hand them. Just give yourself extra time. :)

I would also check the laws in Nevada/LV if you haven't already. For instance, I've read about folks who travel with a firearm that's TSA and airline approved, only to break the law as soon as they land (NY comes to mind).

Me, I leave my gear at home. Too much of a hassle and risk.
Should not be a PROBLEM .
People fly to Nevada all the time with guns .
FRONT SIGHT is there

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads