JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Sorry if this is a redundant question (or if this is a redundant thread). Saw mention here of other similar threads, but nothing about what they're called. This is where my search brought me for rules about flying with a pistol in my checked luggage.

By definition here:
This pistol case seems to qualify TSA's own criteria for approved. But I'd hate to be checking in on time for my flight, only to get jammed up by this little snippet below.

"Be aware that the container the firearm was in when purchased may not adequately secure the firearm when it is transported in checked baggage."

So what the hell does "may" not mean?

It certain won't break me to buy a Pelican or whatever they sell at BiMart. I'm not there looking at one now - is there some marking on TSA approved cases indicating they're okay? If so, this one doesn't have it.

BTW, sorry about the gross looking string-bound sausage-dick pic on the laptop, that keeps popping up on a website that I visit a lot, usually when Mrs. Teflon is looking over my shoulder. LOL

IMG_8447.jpg

Sorry if this is a redundant question (or if this is a redundant thread). Saw mention here of other similar threads, but nothing about what they're called. This is where my search brought me for rules about flying with a pistol in my checked luggage.

By definition here:
This pistol case seems to qualify TSA's own criteria for approved. But I'd hate to be checking in on time for my flight, only to get jammed up by this little snippet below.

"Be aware that the container the firearm was in when purchased may not adequately secure the firearm when it is transported in checked baggage."

It certain won't break me to buy a Pelican or whatever they sell at BiMart. I'm not there looking at one now - is there some marking on TSA approved cases indicating they're okay? If so, this one doesn't have it.

BTW, sorry about the gross looking string-bound sausage-dick pic on the laptop, that keeps popping up on a website that I visit a lot, usually when Mrs. Teflon is looking over my shoulder. LOL

View attachment 1152902
The "problem" here is no two people always have the same response when they run into some of the morons in blue at the airport. I have read of some being rejected is when locked the gun case was flimsy enough that the person inspecting could pull on a corner and get it to open a little. Still not enough to get the gun out, but that it could be done at all. So many cases made for flying take two locks for just this reason. Again though the same case may fly multiple times then suddenly one inspector may say no. That case in the pic looks like maybe it takes two locks? Hard to tell for sure. If those are a place to have two padlocks It should be fine.

@teflon6string I think the Sig cases (and most others that guns come in when purchased) are too flimsy. Looking at the lock holes it appears a good tug would snap the plastic. TSA (rightfully imo) does not like this. The plastic is also often soft enough that even when locked you can open them enough to get a gun out. I would strongly recommend a stronger case to avoid issues at the airport.

I fly frequently with guns (last flight was less than 12 hours ago) and have three cases all hard plastic; an SKB, a very small one gun Pelican and a "Cabelas" (that is the same a Boyd and about 50 other brands). With two padlocks these have not EVER been an issue going on about likely 150 - 200 flights now. Talking with TSA folks, their common issues are too flimsy of a case and only one lock, allowing the case to be opened at a corner and the gun falling out.

My view is that once you are at the airport your are pretty hosed if anything goes wrong with your gun traveling setup so overprotect. Hope this helps.

Alexx and Will, you both make sense. That Sig case does indeed have two padlock loops. But, honestly, a small kid with a wire snipper could be in there in a jiffy. After working in over half a dozen Federal Government capacities, I have direct experience with 10/10 employees interpreting nebulous rules, regs and laws differently. And like you say, it's better for me to err on the side of caution with a sturdy, purpose-built case. As opposed to randomly getting an extra-careful bag checker who's trying to do the same thing.

Thanks fellers.

Last Edited:
I have been flying since before DB screwed it all up. With guns since before they went with the boys in blue. Since the net came along there is some amazing bad info passed around. Things that make me cringe?
1. Print out the laws and rules and have them ready to wave in the face of the person who tells you no.
This is probably the worst one of all and I have seen it a LOT. Anyone who tries it will find out why its a poor choice. Dealing with people who cant' be fired and "think" they are important? This is like waving at a charging bull and will get just as good a result.
2. "I have flown with xyz LOT's of times and its a snap, don't worry." People who say this may have actually done this. Only reason they are saying it is they have not yet run into Buba the TSA "expert" who tells them no. I always say give yourself a GOOD cushion of time. Take something to kill time on the other side of screening. The system was set up to be easy. Problem is humans run it. If you are the unlucky one who gets Buba you will get past but, you may be a while waiting for Baba's boss. If you miss your flight? They could care less.

2. "I have flown with xyz LOT's of times and its a snap, don't worry." People who say this may have actually done this. Only reason they are saying it is they have not yet run into Buba the TSA "expert" who tells them no. I always say give yourself a GOOD cushion of time. Take something to kill time on the other side of screening. The system was set up to be easy. Problem is humans run it. If you are the unlucky one who gets Buba you will get past but, you may be a while waiting for Baba's boss. If you miss your flight? They could care less.
In my experience, Buba is actually almost always Karen* and works for the airline. If you are squared away there is painfully little TSA will mess with you about. At the ticket counter you will on occasion run across a new ticket agent that has not been trained property or is just new. I've been told that I had to have TSA locks on my inner gun case (not true), that the ammo had to be in a separate case (also not true) and a few other things (that were not true). This was nearly always on an airline other than Southwest; they seem to have their stuff together better than the others plus (as of yesterday) they still run your bags with all the others and no additional markings on the outside.

Based on recommendations from others, I used to carry a copy of the regulations in my firearms case. Never intended to wave them in their face, rather to do a, "I was really trying to do everything correctly and your website and TSA says this, where can I find the new rule?" approach, dripping of sugar of course. Never needed it.

*Note: I say Karen because statistically there are more female ticket agents than males.

By definition here:

View attachment 1152902
"May" means that not all factory cases are suitable for airline travel but there are so many of them that TSA can't possibly evaluate all of them to know/say which ones are bad.

Here is my advice...for whatever it's worth...

1) You want a hard case all the way around. Note that many hard sided suitcases still have a cloth zipper. Those are no bueno.

2) Some factory plastic cases are pretty flimsy. If it's locked but still opens enough (when unlatched) that you could jam a couple of fingers in and pull it apart enough to get the gun out, that is also no bueno. Make sure you cannot slide your hand into the case when it is locked but unlatched...and more importantly, that you can't slide the gun out.

3) If you're using something like a pelican case that has hasps/holes for locks, make sure every hasp/hole has a lock on it...especially the bigger cases that may have four or more hasps/holes.

Good luck...and may the odds be ever in your favor! :)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top