JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello all. Any fly fishers here? I'm looking at getting into fly fishing and could use some advice on gear. My plan is to take a few casting lessons to get the basics down. Anyway just looking for some help with a rod and reel specifically. I plan on going with a 9ft 5wt to start with for trout mainly. I'm not really interested in low end or "starter combos" I'd rather spend money on quality gear from the start and if I find that it's not for me then I shouldn't have trouble offloading it. Thanks

I've been trout fishing for about 10 years on a fly rod. You're right to look at higher end gear, the entry stuff will be harder to learn on.

I have a 9' 5wt, and honestly, its overkill on trout up to about 18-20". The reel is there to hold the line, you very rarely ever use the drag system.

Take a few lessons, then go to a shop and try out the rod before you buy it. Everybody prefers different actions on a rod, what works for me might not work for you. I bought a sage, the grandfather of fly rods, but there are plenty of good companies out there. my next rod will probably be a 9' 4wt for trout, possibly even a 3wt.

Last Edited:
firemedic, with the expensive cost of the fly rods. The bride & I chose to get 8wt fly rods. Most of our fishing is for monster rainbows, brown trout & bass. The Bass we fish for are under heavy cover, so we really have to yard them out. At any rate, I use a winston 8wt, the bride uses a sage 8wt, we both use ross reels.{ CLA~4 } Good luck on your hunt for that perfect fly rod. Tight lines.

Last Edited:
I started with 6 weight and learned after the 1st year it was way to heavy. I then picked up a 4 weight and it goes to Montana with me quite often. Perfect weight! Oh, both are Lamiglas, great rods, decent price & a great warranty

Edit: I cant spell worth a !$%@^@$%

Just saw your post. As has already been suggested, go to a shop that will let you try the rod before you buy it. If they won't let you test cast the rod, take your money elsewhere.

Take a look at the warranties on the gear. Almost every rod maker has a lifetime warranty now. Look at the same for the reel.

Sage makes a nice rod, good warranty and there are enough different actions in their line up that you can probably find one to suit your casting style and stroke.

Two years ago I managed a small fly shop just outside of West Yellowstone, MT right on the Madison River. We were a Hardy/Greys dealer. After close to 45 years fly fishing it takes a bit to impress me. The Hardy Zenith rods impressed me. I've never cast a rod that seemed to cast well no matter what casting stroke or style was used with it. I liked it so much I bought a 9'6", 6 Wgt, a 9', 5 wgt and a 9 foot 4 wgt for myself and the same for my wife, who also fly fishes.

For my daughter and son in law I bought them each a Greys XF2 Streamflex rod, 7'6" in 4 wgt with a Greys GX500 reel for 4/5/6 wgt that comes with two extra spools. The rod casts like a couple of my older Sage rods, not a bad thing. The kids fish small streams back east for brookies, so the set ups will work nice.

Last bit of advice. Buy the best line you can afford. A crappy line on a great rod will cast poorly, a great line on a crappy rod will cast well. A good line on a good rod will make your casting so much more pleasant.

Just saw your post. As has already been suggested, go to a shop that will let you try the rod before you buy it. If they won't let you test cast the rod, take your money elsewhere.

Take a look at the warranties on the gear. Almost every rod maker has a lifetime warranty now. Look at the same for the reel.

Sage makes a nice rod, good warranty and there are enough different actions in their line up that you can probably find one to suit your casting style and stroke.

Two years ago I managed a small fly shop just outside of West Yellowstone, MT right on the Madison River. We were a Hardy/Greys dealer. After close to 45 years fly fishing it takes a bit to impress me. The Hardy Zenith rods impressed me. I've never cast a rod that seemed to cast well no matter what casting stroke or style was used with it. I liked it so much I bought a 9'6", 6 Wgt, a 9', 5 wgt and a 9 foot 4 wgt for myself and the same for my wife, who also fly fishes.

For my daughter and son in law I bought them each a Greys XF2 Streamflex rod, 7'6" in 4 wgt with a Greys GX500 reel for 4/5/6 wgt that comes with two extra spools. The rod casts like a couple of my older Sage rods, not a bad thing. The kids fish small streams back east for brookies, so the set ups will work nice.

Last bit of advice. Buy the best line you can afford. A crappy line on a great rod will cast poorly, a great line on a crappy rod will cast well. A good line on a good rod will make your casting so much more pleasant.

My favorite fly shop is the Deschutes River Angler in Maupin. I just dropped $1200 there a few weeks ago on top gear. RL Winston 8'6 Boron III X 4wt and a Hatch reel. They're a good shop, but I don't think that they have entry priced reels.

Last Edited:
Oh ya, I caught a 20" Winter steelhead in the Wilson River 6 miles up from Tillamook on the 4wt. Landed and released the fish under 2 minutes. Price/fish on my new rod/reel is down to $300 :)

Winston is another fine rod maker. I've cast their Boron rods and liked them. Just couldn't afford them on a fixed income. Heck, I couldn't have afforded the Hardy rods and reels if I wasn't getting an employee discount.

I actually thought that I was going to get the Sage One, 8'6 4wt, but that sucker was stiff with a fast action. I didn't want Hardy, as they weren't made in America. The Winston was a bit of a surprise, as I hadn't really researched it.

Last Edited:
I have 4, 6, 8wt Wayfarer rods. Bought them on closeout from REI years ago. I use the 4wt the most. I've landed over 20" on the deschutes quite a few times. You can checkout <broken link removed> good site with forums, rivers / seasons / fly matchup. Hill's Discount Flies is where I used to buy quite a few. BUT, always visit the fly shops close to the river you're fishing (if available) and chat it up and buy a few flies from them. Every time I had a slow start I did this and they always got me on the fish.

Hello all. Any fly fishers here? I'm looking at getting into fly fishing and could use some advice on gear. My plan is to take a few casting lessons to get the basics down. Anyway just looking for some help with a rod and reel specifically. I plan on going with a 9ft 5wt to start with for trout mainly. I'm not really interested in low end or "starter combos" I'd rather spend money on quality gear from the start and if I find that it's not for me then I shouldn't have trouble offloading it. Thanks
I would take a trip to Cabela's and look at some of their combo's, I have been using their equipment for some time now and like it especially for the money. I believe that their high end equipment is as good as the high cost name brands, anyway I have caught lots of fish using their rods and reels. A 9 ft 5wt rod is a good starting point, make sure you match the line with it. As for tying knots and setting up the equipment check out YouTube videos, great resource for learning. Best of luck and hope you enjoy it as much as I do. I retired from the fire service 12 years ago and am living the dream, I love fly fishing Northern Idaho in the fall.

Ross Essence fly fishing outfit.
  • Essence FS series fly rod, 4-piece design - great for travel
  • Flystart series fly reel outfit - pre-spooled with premium American made fly line, backing and a tapered leader
  • Cordura rod and reel case
  • Instructional DVD - An Introduction To Fly Fishing
  • Lifetime warranty on rod and reel
I bought one for my wife and it is really a fantastic beginner set-up. I just used the rod/reel two weeks ago on the Deschutes / Warm Springs and landed 3 red sides measuring 15 + inches in a bit over an hour (salmonfly and goldstone). These kits are under $200. Buy a couple patterns, watch the DVD and you're ready.

There are lots of great rod and reel companies out there and I've fished a handful of them. Winston and Sage are great high end rods as well as custom rods like Burkheimer. One no one has mentioned is Echo great rods, entry level price, but not cheap performance. They stand behind their product, I broke a guide off a rod took it in and they just handed me a new rod.

The 9ft 5 weight is the jack of all trades and if you are going with one rod only its a good choice. If you like it won't be long before you have more than one rod. I'd star with a 4 weight then add a 6 weight.

My suggestion is always find a good shop to help with lessons and selecting a rod and reel. In Portland Royal Treatment is a great shop and very welcoming. In Eugene Caddis Fly is the best and one of the best in the state. It does not matter if you have never fished or fishes your whole life or spend $20 or $2000 they takw care of you.

Good luck, fly fishing is a lot like fire arms. Fly rods and reels tend to multiply like guns. :)

Really appreciate all the sound advice. I'm thinking of taking a few casting lessons to get the basics down. I think after I do that, I'll have a better feel for what type/brand/action fits me best. Thanks again for the help/suggestions.

80% of fly fishing is nymph fishing anyway if you fish throughout the day and want to catch fish. I wouldn't get to wrapped up in dry fly casting, but it's really fun to roll cast. Really, when you see fish rising in the morning / evening thats the time to switch to dry fly if you want to. Sometimes you just don't have the room, or you want to fish all day. You will run into purists who will poo poo at the idea of nymph fishing, but when the goal is to catch fish and have a great time, nymph fishing should be included.

Way late to this thread as I just found the sub forum today. I'm guessing you have already purchased a rod and reel by now. Reading through some of the replies, looks like some solid advice has been provided.

Fly fishing is my main hobby/vice and I'd be happy to share information or answer questions. That offer goes out to all. Feel free to PM me.
Bill

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews