JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I was in your shoes at one time, I'm a believer now...
I wanted a effective tool, Not a show piece...
My 300 RUM shoots 1/2 to 3/8 " groups at two hundred Yrds...

Spherical fluting is worth every penny, Very effective in my opinion...

<broken link removed>

Gun barrel vibration absorber - Patent 6167794

Miscellaneous Questions #2

000_2102.jpg
000_2109.jpg

Well now there are all sorts of different styles. Is one better than another or do they have different purposes? As far as a barrel is concerned.

Mandrake

If you are looking for facts as opposed to idea's or theories or what someone heard from someone else that had it done...LOL...
The Man to talk with is strictlyRUM, Jason... Jason built this rifle... Not only is he a gunsmith, But he is a metallurgist also...

Home

I saw on futureweapons they had fluted the bolt on a bolt action rifle that was used in extreme cold and snow, in order to allow it to break the snow up to avoid freezing shut and still function in rough conditions.

A fluted barrel is lighter than a non-fluted of the same size, and stiffer than a non-fluted of the same weight.

Bruce

I stand on one foot and hop in a counter clockwise circle chanting "boom shuka luka luka boom" I swear it works for me, my groups are better, try it!!!

A little chicken blood on the bolt also helps

In reply to the original question, flutes serve several purposes. On a bolt, they allow you to have very close action/bolt clearance and still be able to move the bolt easily because of reduced contact surface area and the flutes channeling debris and dirt. If done well, they are quite atttractive, also.

On a barrel, the flutes serve to lighten the barrel and slightly increase the surface area for cooling. It does seem to increase surface area a bit for cooling, and it definitely reduces weight. There are some claims about accuracy improvements, but they vary so widely that it is difficult to believe what is real and what is puffery. Some very good tests have been done that show no gain in accuracy, others that show a slight gain in accuracy, and still others that show loss of accuracy, so I believe it depends on the barrel, the cutting tool used to flute the barrel, the machinist, etc, and it is not consistent.

But due to the cost of fluting, the inconsistent accuracy effects, and the loss of barrel rigidity, I personally think the main positive effect of barrel fluting is to keep gunsmiths employed.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top