JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Check out Target's prices.

Some of you are covered by your insurance. If you have a co-pay, be sure to check out CVS Pharmacies inside many Target stores.

1566409041014.png
†Flu shots available when immunizing pharmacist is on duty, while supplies last. Age restrictions apply. At MinuteClinic®, patients must be 19 months and older in most states, 24 months and older in KY and 5 years and older in CT. Eligible patients will not pay any co-payments unless otherwise required by their plan, including Medicare Part B.

Ric,

Flue shots now?

Usually the public is implored to get them in the fall.

Is the timing changing on this, do you know?

It's almost endemic now.

Last true positive minicluster we had was about 6 weeks ago, IIRC, along with sporadic randoms. I have a REALLY BAD feeling that the upcoming "flu season" will be pretty darned nasty.

So in short, if a vaccine is offered, get one!

Ric,

Flue shots now?

Usually the public is implored to get them in the fall.

Is the timing changing on this, do you know?
Last year I waited too long and got the flu in late August early September IIRC.

If you get it now it still takes 10 days to be protective. Flu seasons are starting earlier and lasting longer. It doesn't hurt to get it now as it will cover you for the whole season. I just got my second dose of pneumococcal vaccine. In 2 weeks I will get my flu shot.

I won't allow myself to be injected with an unknown substance with a success rate of around 20% on a good year.

Nope.

Last Edited:
Almost every fall/winter I would catch the crud - usually Dec/Jan when forced to be inside with lots of other sick people. It would cause sick days, then a week or two off feeling crappy. As I got older it got worse to the point of having a cough/etc. for a month or more. Then it got to the point where I had acute bronchitis and had to get antibiotics.

A couple of years ago I finally decided to get a flu shot. For the first time in decades I did not get sick while everyone around me was sick. Last year I got sick early (Aug/Sept) before I had time to get the flu shot (Nov) and didn't get sick again after the shot.

YMMV

Many people cite anecdotal evidence as to why they should or should not get a flu shot.
Whether you do or not, recommend you adopt the following habits:
  • Never touch your eyes with your bare hand or shirt sleeve.
  • Never touch your nose with your bare hand or shirt sleeve.
  • Avoid touching your ear - this becomes an intermediate transfer site for bacteria and viruses to hang out.
  • If you do need to rub your eyes or nose, grab your undershirt (or shirt) by the collar and use a section of cloth on the inside of the shirt that is at least two inches from the hem. Handkerchiefs won't do -- because you handle them, they also serve as intermediate transfer sites.
The dominant transfer mechanism for colds is mechanical, placing the virus on your mucus membranes (tear duct or inside nose). Some of us are more susceptible than others, and some of us are just plain unlucky (like someone sneezing into your face). If you feel a vaccination gives you an added advantage, go for it !

Last Edited:
P7,

Sounds good.

Know anyone that can keep from doing it?

Throughout the course of any day, I do every thing you listed that I shouldn't.

So, should I wear gloves all day every day?

My 'not touching' discipline is zero...

It isn't gonna make me artistic, is it?
Many people cite anecdotal evidence as to why they should or should not get a flu shot.
  • Avoid touching your ear - this becomes an intermediate transfer site for bacteria and viruses to hang out.
  • If you do need to rub your eyes or nose, grab your undershirt (or shirt) by the collar and use a section of cloth on the inside of the shirt that is at least two inches from the hem. Handkerchiefs won't do -- because you handle them, they also serve as intermediate transfer sites.
The dominant transfer mechanism for colds is mechanical, placing the virus on your mucus membranes (tear duct or inside nose). Some of us are more susceptible than others, and some of us are just plain unlucky (like someone sneezing into your face). If you feel a vaccination gives you an added advantage, go for it !

Any of them make hairs grow on the palms?

You nailed it P7.

I'm one of those poor saps who catches every little thing that works its way through an office, usually 5-6 every year, coughs and sneezes developing into full-on bronchitis. Asked my doc why I often start to feel better, and then get worse. His analogy was that when you're already compromised from last week's crud, there are other varietal cruds "lined up like inbound aircraft on approach." He didn't know I was a controller last century, but the explanation worked for me.

I avoid most of those bugs now. Retired 2 years ago. I no longer touch elevator buttons, doors (many with combos), mouses (meese?), keyboards, phones, "Let me borrow your pen," etc., etc. Maybe not so diplomatic, I was never afraid to tell people, "You're sick and you shouldn't be here coughing and touching everything. I can smell your cherry cough drops when you talk at my desk (oh barf). Please go home!"

Haven't had the flu once since I started getting every seasonal shot available since 1975 or so.

It isn't gonna make me artistic, is it?
Any of them make hairs grow on the palms?
That's not from the shots NR...

Last Edited:

Anecdotal?

Or empirical?

After decades of getting one or more episodes of being sick every year, the one year I decide to get a flu shot after 40+ years since last time I had a flu shot, I did not get for the first time. Works for me and I will get another this year.

I have a heart condition and it isn't that I get sick for a couple of days, I get sick for weeks, needing medical care and each year it gets worse.

Anecdotal?

Or empirical?

After decades of getting one or more episodes of being sick every year, the one year I decide to get a flu shot after 40+ years since last time I had a flu shot, I did not get for the first time. Works for me and I will get another this year.

I have a heart condition and it isn't that I get sick for a couple of days, I get sick for weeks, needing medical care and each year it gets worse.
I'm glad the shot works for you, and I think that if it gives a 10% margin in a person's favor vs. a devastating illness, it's worth it.
Empirical if you could confirm causality, anecdotal because you really don't have a control in your experiment. Splitting hairs.

In my unscientific, anectdotal observation, my success is 50:50 at best with the shot, though my immune system is kinda wacky.
Counting the last 14 years, I've had the shot twice and some form of flu twice. Got the flu one of the shot years (2009), and again early this year (no shot). Remember these things because of events that happened around them.
Before that, got a shot in 2000, had the worst flu and high fever I can remember, but it made all my pain symptoms go away. Hmm. Went to the Dr. and found I had rheumatoid arthritis and had been suffering from it since the early '90's.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top