JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Farm store outlet. They are liquidating every thing, 1/2 off ! you cant go wrong Call David or Micheal.
They also have TUNS of survivle stuff 1/2 off Wholesale!
26444 Butterfield rd, Aurora OR. 97002
Be well.
503-678-3276

Last Edited:
Farm store outlet. They are liquidating every thing, 1/2 off ! you cant go wrong Call David or Micheal.
They also have TUNS of survivle stuff 1/2 off Wholesale!
26444 Butterfield rd, Aurora OR. 97002
Be well.
503-678-3276

Address doesn't compute with either MapQuest or Google Earth. DOH!
Any corrections?

Sod

country living grain mill for the win, its expensive, but when you add everything up it comes out on top. solidly built, last for generations, and easy to use, I use mine all the time when making bread, pasta, etc. pay the moneyu once, cry once, and when you buy quality you never go wrong.

To store your grain, here is the quick and dirty: get food grade 5 or 6 gallon buckets with rubber gasket lids that still have a tight seal. Get large mylar bags and oxygen absorbers. you can fit roughly 40 lbs hard red wheat in 1 bucket. (inside mylar) pop a couple of O2 abosorbers, squeeze out excess air and seal shut with an iron; those skinny hair straightening iros work great! Pop the lid on, label and you're good for 30 years or so.

Grain mills....EASY answer. country living grain mill. go ahead and shop around trying to find something cheaper; but you'll eventually end up with this grain mill. it's made in USA and will cost you $400....$600 if you want all the "armageddon" accessories for repairs on the fly etc. No, I don't work for the company or have any sort of vested interest in them....but hands down it is the best. This tool will be your lifeline if you ever have to use your wheat.

Ok, I bought some organic hard red wheat from Azure and some new 5 gallon buckets with rubber gasket lids at Winco, is it a big no-no to just put the wheat in the clean bucket? I don't have any mylar bags or O2 absorbers and I don't think there is any local place to get them. I am curious how long will wheat last if I just seal it up in the bucket? I live in a dry part of Oregon, and the buckets would be stored inside the house in a closet (New house, no rodents) Farmers keep wheat in big metal bins or wooden elevators, and it lasts at least a year?

Ok, I bought some organic hard red wheat from Azure and some new 5 gallon buckets with rubber gasket lids at Winco, is it a big no-no to just put the wheat in the clean bucket? I don't have any mylar bags or O2 absorbers and I don't think there is any local place to get them. I am curious how long will wheat last if I just seal it up in the bucket? I live in a dry part of Oregon, and the buckets would be stored inside the house in a closet (New house, no rodents) Farmers keep wheat in big metal bins or wooden elevators, and it lasts at least a year?

yeah, I cannot give you any real answer except to say I think it will probably be fine for several years but not as long as the vacuum sealed versions.

How long? I don't know....more than 1 year, less than 30 years....

It is the removal of oxygen that is the crucial factor and with grains straight in a bucket much of the oxygen is displaced, but little pockets exist between each grain.....that is eliminated when a vacuum sucks out the remaining oxygen....so your current plan is clearly not ideal. plan on using/replacing those buckets first.

I had a couple of buckets that failed to vacuum seal for whatever reason. After all that work I had put into them I wasn't about to start over. So I just put those buckets up toward the front of my food stocks....they will get used first....I still feel pretty confident they will last more than 5 years. I have no sources to cite....

Wheat has lasted for decades and centuries in dark covered areas.

If you are storing without mylar and O2 absorbers, you will want to consider diatomaceous earth (DE). Get the food grade version of DE and you can place it throughout the grain as you place it into the buckets. This will kill any insects that manage to get into the bucket. Check out the description of DE on-line to check out how to use it and for what.

Sodbuster

How should I clean the Buckets before filling? they are brand new from Winco. Dish soap and warm water? Bleach? Peroxide?

If they are brand new buckets soap and water should be fine. Or a weak bleach solution at the most. If they are recycled food grade buckets then I'd definitely say a sterilizing solution such as bleach, iodine etc. Make sure they get 100% dry before use (obviously)

I bought recycled food grade buckets for $3 each with lid and cleaned them with a sanitizer that we use for home beer making....

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top