JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Officer: Trayvon Martin target a 'no-shoot training aid'

"A Florida police officer fired for bringing targets resembling Trayvon Martin to a gun range apologized to the shooting victim's family "for being used as a pawn in somebody's political agenda" but said the targets are a valuable training tool.

Police Sgt. Ron King denied claims by Port Canaveral Interim Chief Executive Officer John Walsh that King was leading target practice with two other officers and a civilian earlier this month when he asked the group if they wanted to shoot at the targets.

The Port Canaveral Police Department fired King on Friday following an internal investigation, according to port officials.

King, a firearms instructor, denied in a video posted on YouTube that he suggested anyone shoot at the target, which features a faceless silhouette of a person in a hoodie holding a beverage can, a pack of Skittles candy tucked in a pocket. A bull's eye appears on its chest."

I find it kind of funny. Horrible joke, but maybe I'm just sick.

Was flipping through the channels and stopped on the movie awards to see that idiot jamie fox wearing a trayvon martin shirt.
If they want to cry for him why don't they show a recent picture of him looking like a piece a hood trash that he was.
Not the picture of when he was 10.

Sorry but I won't be shedding any tears for that punk kid.

Why are you answering your own post? Honestly, who cares.......

Not answering my questions, just adding a thought or two.

Its not that I cared for that Martin guy, I did not know him.

Just reminded me of some other "targets" that were made for LEOs to shoot at. An old man, pregnant women, small child,etc... and now this. Just seems a bit morbid to me and thought others should know what our LEOs are allegedly training to shoot at.

Who the #*$%& says the poster of a hoody = Trayvon Martin.

Last time I checked, neither the Constitution, Bill of Rights or the Word of God says anyone has the right to "not be offended"
People just need to stfu and go back to whatever meaningless existence they have and leave others alone.

Personally I see no issue. If you look throughout history targets have been made in the exact likeness of criminals of the time such as full - size photos. A History Channel program shows the early FBI shooting at a picture of John Dillinger. Look at all the printable targets that were available (and probably still are) of Osama Bin Laden and several others - and these do not just resemble them - they are pictures of them.

Personally I see no issue. If you look throughout history targets have been made in the exact likeness of criminals of the time such as full - size photos. A History Channel program shows the early FBI shooting at a picture of John Dillinger. Look at all the printable targets that were available (and probably still are) of Osama Bin Laden and several others - and these do not just resemble them - they are pictures of them.

Except that Trayvon was not a criminal, not a suspect, not charged with anything, not doing anything at the time of the confrontation. Should police officers put up posters of other crime victims?

Just reminded me of some other "targets" that were made for LEOs to shoot at. An old man, pregnant women, small child,etc... and now this. Just seems a bit morbid to me and thought others should know what our LEOs are allegedly training to shoot at.

These "targets" are a great training tool. When was the last time someone was shot by a bullseye carrying a gun, or an armed and dangerous transtar II silouette? Never, in case you didnt know. These targets teach the trainee to engage HUMANS that present a valid immediate threat, or not to. They even make guns, knives, bombs, empty hands, cell phones, and lots of other items you can staple to a target to make a "no-shoot" scenario a "shoot" scenario.

Why wouldn't you want ppl to train on such a target? If a trainee screws up and engages an unarmed target (even if it resembles some young street hood..) based on prejudice or stereotype or just plain mistake, then the instructor can provide extra training to remediate his bad decision.

This uneducated, overly sensitive bullbubblegum mentality that favors emotion over real world practicality just ends up getting more ppl killed.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top