JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Are you sure this is correct place for you and your personal beliefs?

I will echo others thoughts....
Dude retrieved a firearm. After making threats. He is now dead. And for a good reason.
There is no reason to wait until bodies are on the ground to believe that someone is actually serious about their threats at a scene like that.

Trying to stretch that logic to the FBI and their vast resources to investigate threats as a similar situation is a red herring fallacy.
Christ. How many times do I have to point out that I'm talking about what qualifies as news and why? WTF is so confusing?

I would think stopping a mass shooting would be considered especially heroic.
It would be, if that's what it definitely was. But there are no time machines or crystal balls so it ends up being what it was - man with gun shot for making threats.

I would think stopping a mass shooting would be considered especially heroic.
It would be, if that's what it definitely was. But there are no time machines or crystal balls so it ends up being what it was - man with gu
You have to remember this is a "common theme". Some scum grabs a gun and gets dropped, here come the crying. The what if he really was not going to shoot, and other BS. Yet those making these inane comments suddenly change if some loved one of theirs is killed while no one stopped that kook. No different than the anti Cop people who scream for Cops to come save them when they are in trouble. It really is a mental disorder with a lot of these people.
You can't possibly be talking about me.

The weird beliefs on display in this thread are people substituting knee jerk tendencies for the ability to read and think.

It would be, if that's what it definitely was. But there are no time machines or crystal balls so it ends up being what it was - man with gun shot for making threats.
Actually it was for making deadly threats that were also imminent by the presence of the gun. Leaving out this distinction is what the media does, bias by omission. The defenders actions were nothing short of heroic.

I'm following your point and get it, but just pointing out whats missing from your point why its not covered nationally. The media doesn't want to cover this one nationally because it supports a gun rights position, and nothing more. DGUs are a part of the gun control debate and since the media defines what a mass shooting is it should be reported when a mass shooting is prevented by a lawful DGU.

The OP never posed a question. In the context of the OP this was a major heroic act and the OP is correct it will never be more than a blurb on local news channels only. Bias by omission is a legit fallacy and I think thats why others here are disagreeing with you.

Actually it was for making deadly threats that were also imminent by the presence of the gun. Leaving out this distinction is what the media does, bias by omission. The defenders actions were nothing short of heroic.

I'm following your point and get it, but just pointing out whats missing from your point why its not covered nationally. The media doesn't want to cover this one nationally because it supports a gun rights position, and nothing more. DGUs are a part of the gun control debate and since the media defines what a mass shooting is it should be reported when a mass shooting is prevented by a lawful DGU.

The OP never posed a question. In the context of the OP this was a major heroic act and the OP is correct it will never be more than a blurb on local news channels only. Bias by omission is a legit fallacy and I think thats why others here are disagreeing with you.
It is bias by omission to not report DGU but the reason it's omitted is because it's not sensational and because it doesn't fit the narrative.

Yes the defenders action was heroic but the Headline "one man shot after making threats" isn't as sensational as "children shot while police stand by"

It is bias by omission to not report DGU but the reason it's omitted is because it's not sensational and because it doesn't fit the narrative.
if it includes not fitting a narrative then its anti gun, and the OPs point about it being a blurb is correct.

Nail, meet hammer.... :s0155:

I certainly understand why it feels like the media doesn't cover these things enough. I also understand that a trans person doesn't think the media covers their things enough, and model railroad aficionados don't think their hobby gets enough coverage.

The thing is, it doesn't matter. People who think CC and self defense are important are only getting their biases confirmed by a story like this. Someone who thinks guns are bad are going to read the same story as evidence that the first guy shouldn't have had access to a gun, not that it was a good thing someone else shot him.

And I'm going to take a little issue with calling self defense a "major heroic act". It is self preservation. The reason the guy who shot the mall shooter got on the national news is because he didn't have to act - he wasn't being shot at, but chose to close in on a rifle shooter with his pistol.

The guy in the story did the right thing. Period. But the incident isn't going to universally be viewed that way. Keep in mind that this forum embraces stories of people claiming they defended their lives, yet a story about a DEA agent that claims to have done so against his crazy rock-wielding neighbor was met with disbelief and anger at his lack of arrest. LE are supposed to be extra trustworthy, so that their testimony in court is higher level, but he is not to be believed.

Everyone clearly wants reality flavored the way they prefer, and don't understand that the world is more than their particular special interests.

if it includes not fitting a narrative then its anti gun, and the OPs point about it being a blurb is correct.
It isn't anti-gun if the narrative isn't about gun politics but the human interest elements of outrage and heroics. News is about emotions, not promoting policy.

And I'm going to take a little issue with calling self defense a "major heroic act". It is self preservation. The reason the guy who shot the mall shooter got on the national news is because he didn't have to act - he wasn't being shot at, but chose to close in on a rifle shooter with his pistol.
if he didnt have to act for his own self preservation then it was heroic. The reason that story got national news is because it wasnt known right away how the shooting ended as the police were still collecting evidence. The media jumped the gun on that one, there was a mall an AR15 and two people killed.... but once it was revealed the story quickly faded away unlike other "mass shootings". Meanwhile about the same time as that event there was someone actually shooting into a birthday party crowd with an AR and a lawful CCW put them down but nobody died except the bad guy and hardly a blurb on the national headlines.
A lack of sensationalism is a legitimate reason in a lack of reporting other events, but the sensationalism reason ends when a political reason begins. The media intentionally chooses which "gun violence" stories fit their narrative when they have a responsibilty to report the news in as much of a bi partisan way as possible.

News is about emotions, not promoting policy.

if he didnt have to act for his own self preservation then it was heroic. The reason that story got national news is because it wasnt known right away how the shooting ended as the police were still collecting evidence. The media jumped the gun on that one, there was a mall an AR15 and two people killed.... but once it was revealed the story quickly faded away unlike other "mass shootings". Meanwhile about the same time as that event there was someone actually shooting into a birthday party crowd with an AR and a lawful CCW put them down but nobody died except the bad guy and hardly a blurb on the national headlines.
A lack of sensationalism is a legitimate reason in a lack of reporting other events, but the sensationalism reason ends when a political reason begins. The media intentionally chooses which "gun violence" stories fit their narrative when they have a responsibilty to report the news in as much of a bi partisan way as possible.
porque no los dos?

The "news" media is anti-gun, if they can use emotion to promote that they do, but DGUs, while exceptional for those involved, are common, and not sensational. They're essentially "person does the right thing" which doesn't attract clicks.

porque no los dos?

The "news" media is anti-gun, if they can use emotion to promote that they do, but DGUs, while exceptional for those involved, are common, and not sensational. They're essentially "person does the right thing" which doesn't attract clicks.
Like I said above. the sensationalism reason ends when a political reason begins.

You say that, but the news doesn't report that many "pro gun control" news stories either. The number of firearms homicides in 2020 was 19,384. When you watch even the most liberal leaning national news, do you see 53 homicides covered every day? Nope - even bad guys killing innocent people isn't political enough to make the news.

National news is for mass murder, serial killers, cannibals and famous people who kill or are killed. Because those things keep you tuned in - not politics.

You say that, but the news doesn't report that many "pro gun control" news stories either. The number of firearms homicides in 2020 was 19,384. When you watch even the most liberal leaning national news, do you see 53 homicides covered every day? Nope - even bad guys killing innocent people isn't political enough to make the news.

National news is for mass murder, serial killers, cannibals and famous people who kill or are killed. Because those things keep you tuned in - not politics.
Yeah, Im gonna have to fully disagree with that claim. The media regularly publishes "gun violence" stories and 99% of the time they include a section on the proliferation of guns or lack of gun control.

Yeah, Im gonna have to fully disagree with that claim. The media regularly publishes "gun violence" stories and 99% of the time they include a section on the proliferation of guns or lack of gun control.
Because gun violence, abortion, gays, immigration, drugs and race are emotional wedge issues, so news agencies run stories about what prominent people or organizations say about them. They don't actually run that many stories about actual incidents but the discussion about them. And then you get outraged and then media makes money from that outrage.

Because gun violence, abortion, gays, immigration, drugs and race are emotional wedge issues, so news agencies run stories about what prominent people or organizations say about them. They don't actually run that many stories about actual incidents but the discussion about them. And then you get outraged and then media makes money from that outrage.
so?
like I said, the sensationalism reason ends when a political reason begins. There's money to be made pushing a political agenda as well.

so?
like I said, the sensationalism reason ends when a political reason begins. There's money to be made pushing a political agenda as well.
Exactly. But they don't do that by giving the public raw stories en masse to make a point about whatever. Even the most wacko right wing news source isn't going to waste air time with reams of "successful self defense stories". Instead, they'll put someone on who will talk generally about some vague idea.

So where did anyone get this ridiculous idea that national news is going to report every self defense or egregious homicide? That never happens unless there is another angle.

Status

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads