JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. (CN) – On a rainy afternoon in June, Mary Ann Krivda pulled her four-door sedan into a St. Petersburg, Florida parking lot. Krivda, who began driving for the ride-sharing service Uber four months ago, saw her passenger, an elderly woman with a walker, standing under a tree.

Krivda, 53, stepped out of the car to help the woman into the backseat and attempted to put the walker in the trunk. But the walker would not fit.

"I said, 'Ma'am, this walker is not going to fit,'" Krivda recalls. "I offered to drive her under the awning of the building to wait for another ride, but I couldn't drive down the road with my trunk open and the walker falling out."

The woman refused, berated Krivda and wouldn't get out of the car, she claims.

"I said, 'Ma'am, you do understand you are holding me against my will?'" Krivda says. "So, I called the police to get her out."

The woman ended up leaving on her own before police arrived, Krivda says, but the experience unsettled her.

"I was basically carjacked by a woman with a walker," she says. "Just because it's an older lady with a walker doesn't mean it can't be an older lady with a walker and a gun or knife."

If you spend enough time with an Uber driver, you're bound to hear tales of irate or unruly passengers. That uneasiness has led one South Florida driver to challenge Uber's policy prohibiting weapons.

Last week, Jose Mejia filed a federal class-action lawsuit against Uber, alleging its no-firearms policy violates Florida law.

The complaint, filed Friday in Fort Lauderdale federal court, cites the Preservation and Protection of the Right to Keep and Bear Arms in Motor Vehicles Act, passed by the Florida Legislature in 2008.

The law allows legal gun owners to keep firearms in their vehicles on their employer's property and bans any employment discrimination based on gun ownership.

Florida Driver Challenges Uber's Ban on Guns

Of course, the driver was violating the ADA - American with Disabilities Act. Has to help the person with the walker, no matter what. Right.

If it was a Taxi, you can bet there would have been a law suit.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top