JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
FAILURE TO TRAIN: Florida cops are clueless about the law. "This officer doesn't realize that recording a police officer is absolutely legal. Everywhere. In an effort to intimidate this young lady, he tells her that recording an officer is a felony and notes that he knows more about the law than she does. In fact both of those points are lies."

http://pjmedia.com/instapundit/184505/

The number of articles of police flying off the handle over being recorded is not isolated to Florida. Hell I spent more time than I care to mention watching videos of these types of interactions on YouTube last week. I chalk it up to the "People Be Crazy" syndrome affecting the human race.

Great looks like once more the tax payers get to pay for additional training for morons in law enforcement. That fat cop sure didn't look like some fresh faced rookie. They should take any settlement out of the cops retirement fund.

This is an issue that has not in my mind, been completely settled in Oregon. I would hate for someone to read this article, and not know what they are potentially facing if they film Oregon police without consent.

Most films I have seen in Oregon, involving police contact, began with obtaining a verbal consent from the officer being filmed.

Oregon Police are using old wire tapping laws:

Bill would let citizens film police doing their job | OregonLive.com

I personally do not have the time, talent or resources to go out and test the tolerance of the police in such matters. I watch with great interest and admiration, those who do it successfully.

This is an issue that has not in my mind, been completely settled in Oregon. I would hate for someone to read this article, and not know what they are potentially facing if they film Oregon police without consent.

Most films I have seen in Oregon, involving police contact, began with obtaining a verbal consent from the officer being filmed.

Oregon Police are using old wire tapping laws:

Bill would let citizens film police doing their job | OregonLive.com

I personally do not have the time, talent or resources to go out and test the tolerance of the police in such matters. I watch with great interest and admiration, those who do it successfully.

I don't think it's verbal consent, I think it's informing the officer that you have an audio recording device that's active. If you're audio recording and they don't know, then it's a problem apparently? I'm not sure, so I wouldn't quote me on this.

165.540 Obtaining contents of communications.
(1) Except as otherwise provided in ORS 133.724 or 133.726 or subsections (2) to (7) of this section, a person may not:
(c) Obtain or attempt to obtain the whole or any part of a conversation by means of any device, contrivance, machine or apparatus, whether electrical, mechanical, manual or otherwise, if not all participants in the conversation are specifically informed that their conversation is being obtained.

OR State v. Neff
ORS 165.540(1)(c) does not provide who must provide the notice or even how notice is to be given.

So....the other person must know that you are recording but they do not have to give permission.
Also, if a LEO is recording you, then you do not have to tell them that they are being recorded.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top