JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
shoot1.jpg

The debate is currently raging, over whether he should be charged with a crime.

Here are links to some news reports about this shooting:

Surveillance video shows moments before Lakeland commissioner shoots, kills man for stealing hatchet

Did Lakeland commissioner need to kill suspected shoplifter? Investigation under way

The commissioner shot the man twice in his heart and lungs at point blank range with a 9mm Glock, and the suspect quickly succumbed to his wounds.

And here is a video of the actual shooting:

Last Edited:
I'd like to see the other videos showing the thief actually threatening anyone before he was killed by the commissioner/judge/executioner

Did Dunn have to shoot Lopez...?
I don't know...
I also am not hip to Florida's firearm's laws....What these are will play a big role here.
Was Lopez a threat , he did steal a hatchet ....Again I do not know.
I would like to know more of what happened and see more of the video , before I rush to any conclusions.

What I do know , is that there is a lot of truth to Stomper's simple statement of :
"If you don't want to get shot , don't steal stuff"

You never really know how people will react to what you say and do...if you lie ,cheat or steal from them , it makes them even more unpredictable.

Please note that I am not saying to go ahead and shoot someone for stealing from you....but I am saying that if you do steal , don't be surprised if someone tries to stop you , even with violent means.
Andy

Going solely off the video, I can't see any justification for the shooting. There was no clear threat to the commissioner that I could see, though maybe another angle or video might show just that? The guy was trying to run with a piece of stolen property, I don't know of any state that allows deadly force to stop someone from stealing. Seems a waste and this commissioner is likely going to pay a heavy price to try and protect what, $20 in stolen property? I agree, stealing is stupid, and you're likely to get some serious crap coming down on your head if you do it, but I just see no justification for deadly force here.

I'll be happy to revise that if better information comes out showing he had made threats of violence on anyone in the store with that hatchet.

R U sh!tting me over a hatchet
let him go
the commissioner/judge/executioner should be charged with murder
unless some other video shows menacing with a deadly weapon

Last Edited:
He was trying leave the store and guy shot him for no good reason. If he did did steal the hatchet and came at the guy with gun then shoot away. No good reason the shoot a fleeing suspect at that point.

Lopez was within striking range with the hatchet, he had the hatchet in his right hand, he was turning when he was shot. If you had your hand on someone who was holding a knife, machete or hatchet and they were turning on you, would you feel you life was threatened?

It is hard to know if Dunn was actually threatened, so I don't know if it was justified. Not sure Dunn needed to place himself into the situation. Just playing the devil's advocate here. But it will be interesting to see how it turns out.

While I'll shed no tears for the thief, the current law states this would be manslaughter at the least.
The guy was fleeing, maybe if he had the hatchet out I can see stand your ground/self-defense, or defense of others.

Sorry...
quote: Under Florida law, "defense of property" is an affirmative defense that justifies the use of non-deadly force to protect a person's land, home, vehicle, or other personal property. Florida does not recognize a right to use deadly force in the protection of property interests alone.

Florida law provides that a person is justified in the use of non-deadly force against another person for the defense of property if the following three facts are proven:

The other person was trespassing or otherwise wrongfully interfering with land (real property) or personal property;

The land or personal property was lawfully in the defendant's possession, or in the possession of his or her immediate family or household, or in the possession of some person whose property the defendant was under a legal duty to protect; and

The defendant reasonably believed that his or her use of force was necessary to prevent or terminate the other person's wrongful behavior. unquote Defense of Property in Florida | Jacksonville Criminal Attorney

Therefore, the Commissioner, who has committed a premeditated homicide, should be immediately jailed and tried; while the family of victim should take every single asset the commissioner has...without hesitation!

Lopez was within striking range with the hatchet, he had the hatchet in his right hand, he was turning when he was shot. If you had your hand on someone who was holding a knife, machete or hatchet and they were turning on you, would you feel you life was threatened?

It is hard to know if Dunn was actually threatened...,
The thief was going out the door when the commissioner/judge/executioner grabbed him and shot him as he was falling. In no way does that vid show the thief turning to strike or even threaten.

B82780F6-FA6A-4455-B47F-A73DEAE3499C.png

Going solely off the video, I can't see any justification for the shooting.

R U sh!tting me over a hatchet
let him go the commissioner/judge/executioner should be charged with murder
unless some other video shows menacing with a deadly weapon

This is the problem, we are shown a piece of the events and a read some blurb written by a completely gun biased media. We see a small glimpse with zero sounds. How do we know this dude wasn't screaming "allah-snackbar" and about to go jihadi on the infidels in the parking lot? We don't and I'm not holding my breath for any real facts from the MSM.

In general, people shouldn't be so quick to throw someone under the bus base on a single soundless video . That said, if this is indeed a killing over property then throw that very large book at the commish as he is no one special and the law applies to him as well.

JFC!! Is that better? :rolleyes:

Last Edited:
Not enough "Facts" here to say one way or another if this was a good shoot or Not! Like pointed out, there is no audio, and we only see a small clip from one angle! I'm going to wait and see! On the surface it dosnt look good for the shooter, but facts need to bear that out!

It is hard to know if Dunn was actually threatened, so I don't know if it was justified. Not sure Dunn needed to place himself into the situation. Just playing the devil's advocate here. But it will be interesting to see how it turns out.

Without audio, we don't know if the perps last words were "I'm gonna getchu sucka!" Or something to that effect.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews