JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Has anybody noticed the sea level rise on the Oregon or Washington coastline?

Supposedly it is rising by 1.25 inches every decade or an 1/8th of an inch per year. Surely (and don't call me Shirley) somebody has been negatively impacted already? Highways permanently flooded? Great Whites taking up residence in your living room? Are you having to tie your boat off on the chimney? Last year when I visited the coastline it looked the same as it did 40 years ago.

Supposedly it is rising by 1.25 inches every decade or an 1/8th of an inch per year. Surely (and don't call me Shirley) somebody has been negatively impacted already? Highways permanently flooded? Great Whites taking up residence in your living room? Are you having to tie your boat off on the chimney? Last year when I visited the coastline it looked the same as it did 40 years ago.
"Because the land beneath Oregon has been rising faster than the ocean, there hasn't been any major sea level rise off the state's coast in recent history."

"However, sea levels are projected to rise 6 inches in the next 16 years due to faster rates of ice melt and increased thermal expansion."

"Because the land beneath Oregon has been rising faster than the ocean, there hasn't been any major sea level rise off the state's coast in recent history."

"However, sea levels are projected to rise 6 inches in the next 16 years due to faster rates of ice melt and increased thermal expansion."

I seriously doubt we will see 6 inch rise in 16 years unless Oregon sinks.

We should be sucking up river water before it hits the ocean. Wilsonville is drinking the Wilamette River water and I haven't got cancer yet, that I know of. We could irrigate a lot of eastern Oregon and Washington land with the Columbia. Build another dam upstream of Bonneville to power the irrigation pumps. It's a darn shame we let all that water go bye bye when the sea already has more water than it apparently needs. The fish can take a back seat to the crops.

Yes, the first Earth Day was about global cooling. Which was also somehow our fault.
I especially liked the part where they told us that we had to save the trees so we had better start using plastic bags. Now it's "plastic bags are evil" and we need to kill more trees for grocery bags.

Is there any possibility natural disasters appear to be worse because of the GREATER number of people moving into areas that when formerly unpopulated didn't get the reporting they do now?

Look at the fires in CA in the last few years. When I grew up in So Cal a lot of those areas were largely in part unpopulated, and now there are people living right on the edge of the uncleared land with one way in and one way out.

Same with any areas in the US with rinse and repeat disasters such as tornadoes and hurricanes.

The greater the population the greater the damage and disaster.

Interesting chart. However, the data shown do not support the conclusion that sea level rise is accelerating. As a matter of fact the chart shows that the sea level has actually been significantly higher in the past (1983 and 1997). Between 1997 and 2001 there was a total decrease in sea level of about 9 inches. This can not be due to land rise as the maximum rate of land rise on the Oregon coast is about 0.1 inches per year. The chart shows that the sea level is the same now as it was in 1950. It's not time to hit the panic button yet.

man one time i was doing a roof and the weather man said it was going to rain, so i went out and spent $30 on a tarp and 30 minutes battening it down and then it didn't even rain! what a bubblegumin quack, what a bunch of bunk science. next time i have a bunch of exposed sheetrock and electrical and the weatherman says its going to rain, i'm just gonna leave that bubblegum wide open.

"science." whatever.

man one time i was doing a roof and the weather man said it was going to rain, so i went out and spent $30 on a tarp and 30 minutes battening it down and then it didn't even rain! what a bubblegumin quack, what a bunch of bunk science. next time i have a bunch of exposed sheetrock and electrical and the weatherman says its going to rain, i'm just gonna leave that bubblegum wide open.

"science." whatever.
I hope you switched stations for your weather reports.

P.S. if your weatherman tells you for decades that's it going to rain and it never does and he gets grants from the tarp companies, you might want to look for a new weatherman.

Last Edited:

There has been significant dune/bluff erosion damage on both coasts in recent years.

While such erosion is a naturally occurring (steady)process, there has been a noticeable acceleration of the rate of erosion in some areas more recently.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top