JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This seems to be coming up a lot in my Youtube feed lately, so I thought I'd share the love. :D
Here's a couple, but there's a ton of videos out there on this rifle (or ones that appear to be like it).
First one explains a little about it, the other one is a short shooting video.

What's the modern version of a parlor gun? (Ie a basement gun). I'm thinking 22lr with subsonics cuz has almost no smoke and about the same as a 22 short. 22-quiet ammo is ridiculously quiet indoors.

In this day and age, probably about any .22 would work, but specifically, Probably a Savage Mk.1 or possibly a Chiappa Lil' Badger.
Both are single shot rifles and pretty accurate.
...maybe even one of those kids rifles, like a Cricket or a Badger.
As for ammo, I think the flobert round's closest modern relative is the Aguila Colibri.
It makes a CCI Quiet sound like a magnum.
I remember back in the 60's/70's there used to be a plastic shell/bullet that you could put a primer into and fire it from your gun for indoor target practice.
Seems like a friend of my dad's had one of those and it was pretty quiet, too.

I remember back in the 60's/70's there used to be a plastic shell/bullet that you could put a primer into and fire it from your gun for indoor target practice.
Those are, "SPEER", Target (.38) or (.45) I still have a couple of boxes of the .38s. You need good ventilation to use them inside, as the primers put out quite a bit of smoke. (Fulminate of mercury) :eek:

In this day and age, probably about any .22 would work, but specifically, Probably a Savage Mk.1 or possibly a Chiappa Lil' Badger.
Both are single shot rifles and pretty accurate.
...maybe even one of those kids rifles, like a Cricket or a Badger.
As for ammo, I think the flobert round's closest modern relative is the Aguila Colibri.
It makes a CCI Quiet sound like a magnum.
I won't use the colibri. Period. Unreliable. Unbelievably inconsistent. Easily could leave a bullet lodged in the barrel. I ranked 22lr cartridges the other day on a different thread and I think I had it ranked at the very bottom or close to it.

Edit: found the list (tweaked a couple values too). Just my experience someone else may rank them differently which is fine with me.
-----------
Here is where I would rank based on reliability (most important to me), consistency (2nd for me and consistency actually translates to "accuracy"), cleanliness (3rd). Based on about 50-60 different guns over the last 30-40 years. 10 = best

10 - Eley match
7.75 - American eagle suppressor
7.5 - cci mini mag
7.5 - cci suppressor
7 - cci stinger
7 - cci velocitor
6.5 - federal champion
6.5 - federal automatch
6.5 - federal gold medal match
6.5 - cci standard velocity
5 - cci blazer when new
5 - American eagle
4 - Any aguila except subsonic
4 - Winchester white box
3.5 - Remington golden bullet
3 - aguila 60 grain subsonic
1.5 - cci quiet 710? Fps, (NOT quiet semi-auto)
1.5 - cci quiet segmented
1.5 - cci short cb
1.5 - cci long cb
1 - federal value pack (NOT value pack champion)
1 - Remington thunder bolt
1 - aguila very low velocity (colibre)

Have not used armscorp, tenex, sk, cci clean-22, polymer coated, and others. Can't recall on some low use stuff like cci short target so those aren't listed

Last Edited:
Have you ever had an actual issue with the Colibri, like having a bullet lodged in the barrel?
Multiple issues. Multiple Failure to fire. So inconsistent it was pretty ridiculous. Impact difference on bench rested measured in feet. Sometimes it seemed like it barely made it to the target. I will not use again.

Holy crap! They still make them!
Oh heck these work great! I've shot bunches of them however I highly recommend anyone who does to just use resized .38, .357 or 9mm brass.

The plastic 'cases' they offer sometimes have 'misfires' due to the 'cushioning' of the plastic. I learned this long ago and just went to resized brass.

These ain't 'toys' however and will puncture a tin (not aluminum) can at about 20-25 ' so all standard gun safety applies!

They make great 'mouse' ammo but be careful of your backstop. I once lived in a house that was overrun with mice and set up a 'baited' area with a backstop as a 'mouse range'

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top