JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
i am looking to buy a set of flintlock pistols similar to what would have been used during the revolutionary war period. I was think of something along the lines of what mounted Calvary may have carried. Does anyone have any recommendations on what manufacturers produce high quality replica. I am looking for something I can actually shoot and not just display.

Google search "flintlock Dragoon pistols" . Most of these kind of replicas from the F&I War/Revolution are India made imports from Middlesex Village or Military Heritage. Whether they measure up to your definition of "high quality" is up to you. If you want something slightly later (Napoleonic) try looking at Pedersoli (AN series) or for American their Harpers Ferry pistol. There are also some kits available.

Is there anything made in the US? Custom is fine. Price is not much of a concern. I know there are smiths that make fantastic Pennsylvania long rifles. I was hoping someone knew of one that made pistols too.

Contact Muzzleloader Builders Supply. They have kits for French and English Dragoon pistols in the time period you're looking for and might be able to recommend someone to assemble them for you. Keep in mind you're getting out in the weeds here so were talking time and money. It would be a real good idea to do your research and know exactly what you want before jumping in.

712C72FF-4C94-4F64-B2FD-ED9B252C959F.jpeg I am thinking something along these lines.

View attachment 569484 I am thinking something along these lines.

Going by the short butt cap and double throated cock, I'm guessing British light dragoon 1803, not Revolutionary period, but these things aren't really in my wheelhouse. Do your research. To be honest NWF ain't the place for this stuff, especially given the amount of coin you're talking about. Maybe Andy has some more insight.

I was posting here hoping Andy might have some insight. I realize this piece may be post war but was thinking something with a butt
cap.

Don't take this the wrong way, but if "thinking something with a buttcap" is as much thought as you've put into it, just buy a (one) Pedersoli AN IX and see how it goes. Generally good quality gun, reasonably "authentic", that will go bang. If the novelty doesn't wear off, buy another one and have a case made for the pair. It will save you time and money in the long run.

To be honest, I don't think you really know what you want.

If you are not wanting a India made pistol , then Custom is the way to go..
I am not aware of anyone making a commercially made off the shelf Rev. War pistol.
( That is historically accurate )

As for the metal grip cap...you do see these from time to time on on English Rev. War pistols ...but the double throated cock is usually a 1800 and later period feature...

Had a busy Friday and Saturday...will give this some thought and get back will some ideas on just where to look for a used gun or a smith...
Andy

No offense taken roundball. I am new to the black powder world. I know what I am looking for but no idea where to find it. I was just assuming that blackpowder was like everything else in the fun world, which is buy once cry once. I would rather outlay cash now than buy something and then six months later wish I had bought something else.

Did a quick google for "custom flintlock pistol" and the first thing that pops up is home
Wow---I REALLY don't want to know the price, but they sure are pretty. NOT recommending--just admiring.

virginia_pistol1-800x448.jpg

@osterr1999
Are you looking for a military pistol or a civilian pistol...?
The beautiful one in the link provided by BillM is very much a civilian piece...But to be honest still not quite historically correct for a Rev War pistol...
Just how historically accurate do you need or want to be..?
Andy

I am not 100% tied to it be a true replica of a revolutionary war piece, but want something that is a replica of a piece that is close to that time period.

As far as civilian vs military, I would prefer military but I would imagine that the civilian pieces would be more ornate which is also a good conversation piece.

@osterr1999
By my asking of historically accurate I was meaning things like proper sights to the time period...
Period sight are very low...as in shotgun bead low...
The vent liner if present...many period guns do not have one...but if they did..it did not have the screw head slot that is commonly seen today...
Are you wanting period engraving....period engraving is different that today's engraving style...a whole forum could be dedicated to just that subject...
Rifled or smooth bore...?
Sorry for not being clearer in what I was actually asking....
Andy

That's okay. It was probably my lack of understanding. Definitely want historically accurate sights. Also want a rifled bore. Outside of those two things, I am not looking for an ornately engraved piece, so really something with no to minimal engraving is fine and does not have to be historically accurate. Same with the vent liner, historically accurate is not as important.

Since we've completely departed from the original concept of a pair of Revolutionary War cavalry pistols how about having The Gun Works in Springfield make you a pair of their saw handle flintlocks. They use an ebony vice brass butt cap but you could probably talk them into putting anything you want on yours. Rifled bore, checkered grips but not engraved, and sort of kind of historically accurate. Plus the saw handle stock would be a good conversation piece.

- The Gun Works Muzzleloading Emporium -

Since you're in Silverton you might just as well drive to Springfield and look at their shop. Talk to Joe and get his inputs. He might have a pair of pistols already in stock that will tickle your fancy.

How hard would it be to build one from a kit? For instance, if I can build an AR15 would I be able to build one from a kit?

Muzzle loader builders supply has an English Heavy Dragoon pistol kit that looks pretty interesting.

1720-1760 English Heavy Dragoon Pistol

As I said in my previous post about Muzzleloader Builders Supply, contact them and see if they can suggest someone to assemble it for you. They ain't AR-15's. Cabinet maker vice machinist kind of thing. These aren't beginner level kits. If you've never done one you're likely to turn a $600 box of parts into a $300 gun. At the very least talk to the guy at MBS and see if he thinks you can do it.

Also they are smoothbore and not rifled which was one of your criteria as of 09:04 a.m.. Having rifleing as a requirement pretty much eliminates any of the military pistols of the time.

As I said previously you need to do some research. Until you pin it down to something more specific we're just chasing our tails.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top