JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Headed out today to fly on the Memphis Belle "the movie" B-17 Bomber at the Hillsboro airport this morning. Brought along my new Samsung Galaxy S4 and took lots of pictures and in flight videos. In was loud, bumpy at times, smelled of airplane fuel and windy, it was quite the experience. After the B-17 took off we were free to roam around the plane. One of the great areas was of course the bomb navigator bubble. Also, there was a 5ft hole in the middle of the air craft that you could stick your head and shoulders out of. That was a spectacular view and I have it on camera a few times. Very windy and loud. My new phone almost flew out of my hands more than once. If you are wondering how to do something like this. Libertyfoundation.org

Also, interesting this plane is in Tom Hanks / Steven Spielberg's WWII project, an HBO mini series Mighty Eighth Air Force

This Gentleman and his crew jumped out over Germany when their B-17 caught fire, and were captured, held for a year. Some 30 years later he found out the B-17, on auto pilot, stayed in the sky for 3-4 more hours and flew over safe territory before running out of fuel. Imagine finding out 30 years later that they could have made it home that day. That generation was cut from a different cloth.

If you are interested in more videos you can click my Signature or on my <broken link removed> Photos you can view here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for sharing! That is something, can't believe that the plane lasted 4 more hours! Looking back, I wonder how many thoughts went through his mind. Anyone hear about the fighter plane found in the African desert in almost flyable shape? I think it was a Curtis Warhawk... They said a Royal Pilot had flown it? He strayed from the squadran and there was no way to get him to come back. A year ago, a oil driller found it and they had plans on bringing it back to Britain...

That is very cool. My granddad, who we lost a year ago, was the armament officer on the Flame Mcgoon. Not a B-17. But part of the squadron that chased Rommel across North Africa. Man he had some neat stories.

I remember reading a story about one of the ideas before Normandy was to fly explosive filled B17s into the forts along the beaches. I guess the one flew in and landed itself and didin't go off till much later, killing all the Germans who came out to look at it. It goes to show you how stable those things were.

Very cool

The real Memphis Bell is currently at Wright Patterson Air Force Museum in Ohio being restored to display condition. You can go on line and check out the progress made.

<broken link removed>

<broken link removed>

Restoration: The Memphis Belle | Military Aviation | Air & Space Magazine

I have been on FiFi (the only B29 still flying) I was able to be in the aircraft alone while it was parked at Hillsboro Airport. I was able to get some amazing photos of the cockpit and crew areas.

I was in Hillsboro yesterday and seen her flying in over cornell. at first she startled me being so low but she needed all the runway to stop her so it was really cool. thanks for the pics!

My Grandfather is 93 years old. He's a WW2 and Korean Vet, served as a waist gunner on B17's. He would also man the bomb sight signalling bombs away. Then go to the tail and confirm hits. Growing up I loved his stories and now my son gets to enjoy them too. Awesome experience you had.

My wife gifted me a flight on a B-17 out of Salem last year for our anniversary enabling me to check it off my bucket list. It was a great flight during which we got to wander thru the aircraft from nose to tail and I too got some great vids and pics. My favorite views were from the bombadier's position in the nose, the flight engineer's top turret, and the radio operator's top side hatch. Unfortunately, the underside ball turret and tail gunner positions were inaccessible and it struck me that one had to be pretty small in stature to man either. It added to my perspective of this part of our country's history as my late Dad was a WWII vet who was in the 442nd and many years back we got a chance to travel to Italy and southern France where he fought.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top