JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was planning to take the family boating up the Willamette this week until my wife re-ran the news story that owing to "Fleet Week", all private boats in the area "will be searched". I have a couple questions for y'all.

I'm always discreetly armed, I have a WA CPL and a non-resident OR CHL, is there some sort of maritime law that overrides lawful carry just because I'm on my boat in a river?

My second question is not gun related but is one I'll ask here anyway. What is it that permits the government to search me, my family, my boat on a river just because they are having a boat show?

I'm a law-abiding, free American citizen, something about being threatened that I'll be searched just because I happen to be enjoying a day on the river with my family just doesn't set well. Really, it pisses me off, I'll leave it at that.

Sorry to tell ya this, but operating a water craft on the navigable waters automatically subjects you to the full weight of maritime law, fully manned and enforced by the United States Coast Guard, and any " deputies" so let sworn by them! So, your gonna have to play by their rules!

I also recalled reading about protection zones around US Navy vessels. Once they're in the river, they have a safe zone around them - and they will enforce that safe zone, with force, if necessary. As far as searching your boat, I'm sure that falls somewhere under the same rules as @Ura-Ki noted above.

Best to know the laws/rules when operating around such vessels:

American Boating Association:Naval Protection Zones.

BoatSafe.com

I have spent many years on the water. I cannot count all the times I've been boarded. But I still don't like it. I have rights in my house. I have rights in my vehicle. I have no rights in my boat. I can be among dozens, or even hundreds of fishing boats, and they just seem to make a beeline to me. And I don't think I've ever even been written up for anything.

One time I reported an active diesel spill to the Coast Guard via ship-to-shore radio. I stuck around long enough to show them where the oil was coming from. As a thanks, they boarded my boat and did a very time consuming inspection and search.:confused:

I have spent many years on the water. I cannot count all the times I've been boarded. But I still don't like it. I have rights in my house. I have rights in my vehicle. I have no rights in my boat. I can be among dozens, or even hundreds of fishing boats, and they just seem to make a beeline to me. And I don't think I've ever even been written up for anything.

One time I reported an active diesel spill to the Coast Guard via ship-to-shore radio. I stuck around long enough to show them where the oil was coming from. As a thanks, they boarded my boat and did a very time consuming inspection and search.:confused:

Must be your magnetic personality...

U.S. warships, and other military vessels are considered sovereign territories unto them selves, in effect floating U.S. soil, and are thusly afforded the same levels of protection as the rest of the country, even more so because they are hyper secure military assets! This also includes the crew!!!
Operating in and around an area considered a safety zone, you are subject to not only U.S.C.G. laws, but also international maritime laws! The Coast Guard are the ultimate force of law in and around any U.S. waters, or, waters these ships are operating in! All local and state law enforcement are subservient to the Coasties, PERIOD!

It's gotta be the topless babes running around on deck that give them the idea....

Thanks, you guys just made me lose all interest in ever owning a boat. That just rule out one more money pit for me.

It's just part of the boating experience.:cool:

Between the Coast Guard, the Sheriff, and the Game Warden, any of whom can board without cause, a guy's gotta be careful that he has all the safety gear, all the signal devices, (not outdated), all the approved marine devices, gotta be extremely careful of alcohol consumption, your barbs better be well squished if fishing barbless, and your boat and radio licenses better be in order and on the boat. Ya just don't know what they'll be zeroing in on. And then when you get back to the dock, ya better hope an undersize crab didn't fall out of the trap and is hiding under a cushion, cuz the fish counter guy will be looking for that too.

My son was in the Navy for 10 years as an ET (electronics tech) and during the 7 years he was on board ships he was also part of the 3 different ships security units. So when they were in Port he would stand guard with either a Shotgun or a M-14 (depended on which side of the ship) He was trained in how to ID a bomber and when to shoot said bomber to best protect the ship. If you don't think Portland doesn't have wackadoodles that could be a risk to a Navy vessel you have been living in a cave.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top