JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm doing a batch of .243 mixed head stamp mixed source cases.

And on a few of them I noticed that the shoulders have been flattened so that they are almost like a tapered octagon?

I assume this was caused by too much lube being tapped in the die. But its also such a low percentage of the cases and so random through the batch of 200 that that really doesn't make sense.

Anyone have a clue? IMG_5741.jpg

IMG_5741.jpg

That's not how I remember my over-lubed case looking lo, these many moons ago, but as 3 says, too much lube is a common cause of dented or flattened shoulders. I like a very little Imperial Sizing wax to lube my cases- of course, the "little" part will vary with the size of the case, but less is more no matter what case you use. Besides, help stimulate the economy and buy a stuck case remover.

You might segregate those flattened cases when you go to shoot and reload next time. The problem will probably not reappear, at least not on all the cases, and will probably disappear altogether if the lube application is reduced a bit.

Thanks guys Ive not seen this really in the past I use RCBS lube on a pad but just started wearing a m
nitrile glove which may be holding more lube for the cases to pick up

Consistency/uniformity is key to reloading. Take the same care and time in every step. Don't get over confident that you "think" you have it "down". I treat each case/round in my process like it's the first one every time. I have that kind of time and patience. If something ever does come up it won't be because I was in a hurry.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top