Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Flashlights and the lumens "arms race"

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by ATCclears, Jun 26, 2013.

1. ATCclears

ATCclears Seattle area, WA Well-Known Member

2. Trlsmn

Trlsmn In Utero (Portland) Well-Known Member

Fenix FTW!

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Burt Gummer and (deleted member) like this.
  3. Burt Gummer

Burt Gummer Portland Completely Out of Ammo

When I see a Surefire 100 lumen light for $200 and a 800 lumen Fenix light for $100 I must agree. I want to blind friends and family.

4. bellarum

bellarum beaverton Well-Known Member

+1 for Fenix! I've had mine mounted on my AR for a few years (couple thousand rounds) and it works every time. Throws a serious beam! I can take it off and daylight the whole front of my neighbors two story house from 88 yrds! (I ranged it :))

5. elsie

elsie Way over there on the left Well-Known Member

6. 3MTA3

3MTA3 DMZ between Liberty and Tyranny Behind Enemy Lines Bronze Supporter

If they get much brighter, you won't need the AR or at least the ammunition. You will need an extra broom and dustpan, though...

7. Navman

Navman Canby Oregon Active Member

Great subject ATCclears!

My Wife bought me the Fenix TK75 2600 lumins for Christmas (at my request) it's a freakin' retina burner in addition to a tactical strobe that will cause the brain to short circuit.

We spend most weekends at anchor on the boat in the summer on the Columbia river with many boater friends.

Night comes after a day of party, "Flash light" wars start :thumbup:

It's come to the point my remote search light on the boat can't hang in there, can't wait to unleash the TK75 this summer :gun12:

But now I may have to take a look at that "Torch" thanks elsie :banana:

8. drew

drew OR Well-Known Member

9. Navman

Navman Canby Oregon Active Member

Salted Weapon I honestly see where you're coming from.

But IMHO we also have to consider that most attacks come from not 100 yards, 50 yards, 25 yards or less but pretty dang close

Enter the Bucha effect.. I've never pointed my TK75 and fired it off at someone, but I have pointed it at several friends ceiling's and it was (*%$$@) OMG! in broad daylight.

How to Use a Strobing Flashlight - Article - POLICE Magazine

10. Burt Gummer

I want to blind someone out to 20-35 yards where if they are looking directly my way they can only guess my position +/i 20 degrees. Not worried about a sniper, not fighting in a war.

Most Fenix lights have three lumen positions w/ memory. I've played with a lot of lights and my favorite for a small, mountable light is the PD32 UE. Over 300 lumens and rock solid. With an angled mount it melts into the side of most rifles. Also a great pocket carry.

The Surefire 300 Ultra is a nice pistol light at 500 lumens also, price isn't too bad either. A 75-125 lumen light just looks pretty pathetic.

11. Botte Hork

Botte Hork Camas WA Well-Known Member

For this I have a small Foursevens "tactical" (tacticool) light, with a switch on the back, that's programmable for its two modes. One is set to low and the other to "crazy high strobe". With low I regularly walk into my son's room if he makes noise at night (very lively dreams, so he talks and sometimes cries/complains) and the brutal strobe is just blinding and it's not even a absurdly high spec'ed light.

12. Burt Gummer

Send him to bed with boxing gloves on and he might not make some of those noises.

Riot and (deleted member) like this.
  13. timac

timac Loading Magazines! Well-Known Member

I'll only buy Surefire, as they're made in the USA. Nothing wrong with the other brands, just trying to support MADE IN THE USA.

14. BAMCIS

BAMCIS Eugene Well-Known Member

Yet.

15. Redcap

Redcap Lewis County, WA Well-Known Member

My converted 2D Mag-Lite does just fine.

16. Brutus57

Brutus57 Skagit County Well-Known Member

A little like the basic theory of electronic warfare. Two guys, each in the same blacked out room and supposed to kill the other. Each has a .45 and a flashlight. Do you torch on (emit) or do you wait (passive) and shoot the guy who goes active by turning on his light first?

Brutus out

17. WhyteCheddar

WhyteCheddar East of Moscow by the Willamette Well-Known Member

Not for your common hand held weapon mount but probably the most serious piece of lighting equip available. I was with a small business that modified this for the exterior mount of a LEO R22. Performance is nothing less than jaw dropping and it produces very little heat. Covert lenses allow use with night vision. Observe massive spaces and great distances un detected.
    http://www.peakbeam.com/