JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
We have the Costco cheapies also. But I don't have any in the cherokee. I have two mags in the it, one in the glove box and one in the GHB. Also have one in each of the other vehicles and two in the cramper. I should throw one of the cheapies in there too, JIK.

LED mag light it lasts for ever on a set of batteries (it will shine full brightness on a set of batteries that will not even light up a old style bulb) it is large enough to find in the dark and as stated before it doubles as a weapon. They can also be bought in a combo pack with the AA mini at Costco for about 30.00 giving you a little light that you can throw in the glove box.

I've not had good luck with the mag lights, cheap LED's at the store counter/checkout, or the Dorcy mid grade LED lights(bought some after reading a Backwoods Home article, they were great at first, but a miserable failure after an extended period of time).......
I have no experience with the Costco(Coast/Energizer/Cree), but my worry is the the same as the failure point on my Mag Lights and Dorcy's.....the mag lights consistently had battery failure/corrosion(I'm sure someone is going to tell me this is the battery, but it happens regularly on my Mag Lights and not on my others), the cheap LED's and Dorcy's they must have corrosion in their electronics as they all have different lumen outputs and the foils on their reflectors have degraded over time.

As of late I have bit the bullet and been buying Surefire G2's and G2LED's, Streamlight PT1AA's and PT1L's on the Surefire's I'll sometimes I'll upgrade the lamp assembly to LED or higher LED output.

In conclusion, I've been pretty darned happy with all my higher end flashlights, they take a beating and have yet to fail to work. The only thing I run in to is battery issues, meaning when I accidentally turn one on and run the batteries dead, it's frustrating not to have a light there when you want it. I find a good flashlight like a good pocketknife....once you get used to having one around, especially a good one, they are indespensible and you will always find a good use for one.

Flashlights are like optics, if you buy cheap ones you will regret it.

Fenix E11 105 Lumens, Fenix LD20 180 Lumen.
These 2 are my EDC lights and they run on any AA batteries.

When i need a lot of power, i use the Fenix LD41 520 Lumens.

They have multiple power levels and long run times

They use any AA battery, including rechargeable ones.

Even the little E11 that runs on 1 AA, is so bright it will blind you.

If AA lights are not your style, Fenix offers many other models.

+1 for a Surefire G2 or a 6P. I have taken them on multiple trips abroad and they may have save my *** more time then I know.
-When you look down a dangerous side street and there are evil-doers about, it will blind them just enough to buy you time to move on without any hassle.

While you are at Costco, get the head 3 pack of headlamps. If you are digging around in a trunk or under the hood not using one hand or your mouth to hold a flashlight is very convenient. For $40 you can get 3 headlamps, 3 flashlights and enough batteries to power them for a long time.

It's normally the batteries that go bad in a vehicle flashlight rather than the light. Lithium batteries are expensive unless you order them on the internet, then the price comes down quite a bit. I personally have a Surefire flashlight in each vehicle along with 2 sets of new lithium batteries for each. I know they will work if and when we need them.

I have a Tomahawk NV. Goes in my pack and is ALWAYS with me. I also have a Phantom Warrior, these are really neat lights, they have a rheostat so you can make it project very little light to read a map. That one is always close too. The tomahawk runs on 2 CR-123A batteries, and have a LONG life. The Phantom runs on AAs and also has very good life.

Discovered I also have a rechargeable flashlight in the back of the Jeep that plugs into the back of the car. I was packing it to go to the desert and saw it and thought of this thread. I have no idea how long it will last, but it has LED bulbs and is a lot lighter than a MagLight.

The costco lights are great on a budget and I have 2 of them in all the rigs however my truck has a 5.11 light for life mounted in it. I love this light!!! no batteries to go dead and it charges in 1 minute.

I like the small hand held flashlights that you squeeze to recharge as they never need batteries. May not be a good choice if in a situation where you don't want to make any noise though. At my prepper group last week one of the guys who used to be in the military said it's actually better to have less light and those LED key chain lights are actually enough when it's really dark as even a small amount of light really illuminates the dark but do not draw attention.

if you're feeling frugal the free ones at harbor freight are seriously good for the price....free. There is a coupon in just about every clipper magazine for harbor freight, i always take them up on their free stuff. I have a harbor freight flashlight i take with me every night on my mile walk with my dogs. I have 3 rechargeable AAA's in it, i've owned it for at least 2 years and it's still going strong. I did put some dielectric grease on the contacts because sometimes the rain is heavy. never had a problem with it...

I was going to mention this along with the Dollar Tree, I picked up a bunch for a dollar each and I have not broke on yet, fortunately they're cheap and not the only kind I carry.

My back up is the huge spot that's rechargeable.

if you're feeling frugal the free ones at harbor freight are seriously good for the price....free. There is a coupon in just about every clipper magazine for harbor freight, i always take them up on their free stuff. I have a harbor freight flashlight i take with me every night on my mile walk with my dogs. I have 3 rechargeable AAA's in it, i've owned it for at least 2 years and it's still going strong. I did put some dielectric grease on the contacts because sometimes the rain is heavy. never had a problem with it...

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top