JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Crime & Courts
Fla. jogger won't be charged for shooting teen

Published January 12, 2011
| Associated Press
Print Email Share Comments (88) Text Size TAMPA, Fla. – A pistol-packing jogger in Florida won't be charged for shooting and killing a teenager who attacked him during a midnight run.

Prosecutors said Tuesday they are convinced Thomas Baker acted in self defense when he fired eight shots at 18-year-old Carlos Mustelier near Tampa in November .

Prosecutors say Florida's "stand-your-ground" law was a factor in their decision. The law, passed in 2005, gives people the right to use deadly force as long as they "reasonably believe" it is necessary to stop another person from hurting them.

Baker told police he reached for his gun when the teen punched him in the face. Baker has a concealed weapons permit.

The teen was hit four times in the chest, back and buttocks. He died at the scene.

Never bring a Fist to a Gun Fight... :cool:

-Reco

It took the DA's office two months to decide not to charge him. Maybe the delay had something to do with the bullet holes in the BG's back?

Since the attacker was 18, I think his record should be public domain. I wonder if it was his first "mistake." Yeah, right.

Mr. Baker is probably going to be struggling with the civil suit(s) for years to come - but at least he's still breathing.

I'm sure the shots in the back were from him falling/turning away from getting shot while the shooter was still shooting. Don't know the facts though.

This is a win for gun carry friends.

If you want to harm, intimidate, or even take away someone's constitutional rights then you should be prepared to give your life in doing so.

"Mr. Baker is probably going to be struggling with the civil suit(s) for years to come - but at least he's still breathing. "

I think FL is a stand your ground state. I also believe that once a shoot is declared self defense that in FL you can't be sued in civil court.

I'm about to leave work or I'd link some facts, I could be wrong.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top